Philadelphia Babies
Options

Pennsylvania Hospital New private rooms/midwife experience?

Hello! Ftm 13 weeks here, we were wanting to deliver at the birthing center in bryn mawr, but my husband is still very uncomfortable with not bing at a hospital so we are exploring other options. I want to go as naturally as possible and am afraid of hospitals that are "csection happy"..unless it is medically necessary in which case, totally for it... I've heard good things about Pennsylvania hospitals new private maternity suites and also their midwife practice.. Does anone have any experience with delivering at Pennsylvania hospital with the midwife practice there? From what I can tell they have all new PRIVATE maternity rooms there now which is huge! I wouldn't even consider going there if I had to share a room! Any info/experiences would be oh so helpful! Thank you!

Re: Pennsylvania Hospital New private rooms/midwife experience?

• Options
    You might want to check in to that private room thing. I have heard the Pavilion (which is what I believe they call the new rooms) is wonderful, but there is still no guarantee of a private room. Even if you book it, there is still a chance you won't get it just based on volume. GL!

Also Bryn Mawr hospital is across the street from the birth center I believe. I don't know for sure, I delivered my first two at Jefferson and my 3rd at Lankenau
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your reply! Pennsy just opened 45 new private maternity rooms in Febriary of 2014 (https://www.pennmedicine.org/obgyn/patient-care/clinical-programs/obstetric-services/obstetrics-at-pennsylvania-hospital/private-maternity-suites.html) so it is different than the pavilion and luckily doesn't cost more! I think this is a huge step up for Pennsylvania hospital since most of the reviews I've read of them were great except for the old shared room policy. I'm just curious if anyone has delivered there since February and been in these rooms?? I'm not considering bryn mawr because they don't use midwives, same for Laneknau which is a bummer because it's super close to my house! How was your experience there? I'm looking in to Delaware county memorial now, it's only about 20 mins away and they have a midwife practice there as well similar to pensy. However I haven't seen many reviews on their maternity ward either!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My experience at Lankenau was fantastic. My OB is amazing, I delivered my 3rd at age 40, I was a week late, the baby was huge (10lbs 8oz) yet he never once mentioned induction. I delivered vaginally with an epidural that I requested. The nurses were wonderful too

I had a fantastic experience at Jeff too, but we are 5 minutes from both Lankenau and BM, it seemed crazy to go in to the city for all the appts, especially since I had two I had to arrange child care for. It is nice that we have so many great options around here!
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    Also, if you are worried about unnecessary interventions, you could always get a doula. A friend of mine (who delivered at Pennsy) had a great experience hiring a doula for her 2nd.
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    Thank you for your input! I agree going into the city is a PAIN, I'm happy to hear a great review of Lankenau! I think I'll check them out... I think hiring a doula may be the way to go for me as well. 
  • Options
    Hi there!  I'm 9 weeks along and currently choosing between The Birth Center and Pennsy's Midwifery practice.  DH and I went to an orientation at TBC when we were TTC and learned that they actually have relationships with two area hospitals (DelCo memorial for non-emergency transfer and Bryn Mawr for emergency transfers).  I was impressed with the midwife we met at Pennsy; she was very experienced and open to my questions, though she seemed rushed to get to the next appointment.

I have had friends deliver at Lankenau and both had very positive experiences. I'm glad we are in an area with so many options!
  • Options
    Thanks for your response!

We recently learned that about the Delco midwives, since there wasn't always one on call we decided not to go with them. We've decided to go with Pennsylvania hospital midwifery. I had my first apt with them today and the midwife I saw was very knowledgable and they seem to have a system that really supports the natural birth I want, while still being I'm a hospital in case of emergency is comforting to us. It seems to be the best of both worlds! We are taking bradley method classes and then we will decide if we can swing the $ for a doula!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"