October 2014 Moms
Options

Fetal Echo tomorrow *Update*

Sockgnome78Sockgnome78 member
edited July 2014 in October 2014 Moms

Ladies, I need your help. I am scheduled for a Echo tomorrow. I have some family history of heart issues as a baby. They are also doing it because they found a white spot on his heart durning the A/S, also my age, and the meds I am on.

What does it entail? About how long does it take? Do your get any pictures?

Thanks for the help. Just coming doen to the wire and kind of starting to get a bit scared.

*All looks really good with LO. Need to go back in 8 to 10 weeks to check on the wall of his heart, because of my GD. Other then that we are happy. Thanks for the thoughts, prayers, and good vibes. No pictures. But I will take a good report.*
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Fetal Echo tomorrow *Update*

• Options
    No experience, but just wanted to say I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited July 2014
    Exact same time frame as an a/s it is just a detailed sonogram of the heart with added images of blue and red blood flow . 20min- 1 hr.
    If they find anything of concern they usually talk to you then because am actual doctor (fmf or pediatric cardiologist) does the echo at most places and not a tech

You usually get a few standard pictures just because they are nice :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FX for you!  No advice.
  • Options
    No advice but FX for you! 
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Mine took about 40 minutes (for the scan) as Schroeder kept not giving wanting to let the tech get a handful of angels on part of her heart (as she kept moving).  Then the MFM came in and looked again (as normal).  So, probably about an hour in total (not including waiting time).

They also did a quick overview of the rest of Schroeder, but our Fetal Echo was two weeks after the A/S, so it was just a very quick check of her growth for everything else.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I didn't get any pictures from mine, but I watched the entire scan.  The tech may or may not give you pictures; I guess you can request them if you want, but this scan is focused on the heart rather than full fetal measurements (though certain anatomical measurements will still be taken), so it's different than other ultrasounds. If you've had an echo, imagine the same thing being done, but only to your LO in utero. 

Mine took about 45min, but that's because LO kept moving, and the measurements/views/sounds that are taken during a fetal echo require quite a bit of precision, and most are focusing on one area, then focusing even further, and further again, so if LO moves during one of those "zoom ins" the process starts all over again.   They will examine/measure and listen to all 4 chambers (2 ventricles, SVC, etc.) of the heart and also check the umbilical cord flow.  It's really cool to hear the blood flow through each chamber because each one sounds incredibly different.

LOs fetal echo was ordered because the exome sequencing of my last loss led to the incidental finding that I have a dominant gene for a form of cardiomyopathy, which impacts the quality of the cardiac tissue.  The pediatric/fetal cardiologist that performed my the fetal echo on my last pregnancy, felt there were holes in his heart, but she couldn't be certain because my fluid levels were low.  Those two facts combined led to the fetal echo. 

I was a bit nervous for this fetal echo, but the pediatric cardiologist watched my scan from another room (at my hospital there's a room for practitioners that is basically wall-to-wall monitors so that they can watch every scan that's occurring on the floor), and came in at the end, took the probe saying there was one thing she wanted to see, finished the scan herself and sent me on my merry way.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options

@golfingdarwinfish. Thanks for the information.

I am meeting a friend for breakfast before the scan. Maybe I will just have something small and not sugary to help LO stay still. I am also going to have a conversation with him before going in.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No advice, but sending some good vibes your way! I'll be thinking of you :)
    photo: YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US!

• Options
    AargAarg member
    My echo took about 45-60 minutes because LO was stubborn. The dr was nice enough to print a few pictures for me :)
    Keep us updated! T&P to you!
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Options
    DS' was about 45 minutes, and the nurse at CHOP did give us pictures (2 and 3D).  We met with the doctor after to discuss the scan.  Hope everything comes out great on the echo!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image              image
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    Mine wasn't too long, maybe 30-40 minutes, and that included taking measurements of a few other body parts. I got lucky and had a photo-happy tech who prints out tons of pictures, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to ask up front if you'll get a few to take home.
  • Options
    No advice here.. Just sending lots of good vibes your way for tomorrow!!
  • Options
    I had a growth scan first (it was 4 weeks after our a/s).  I'm not sure if that is just their practice at my MFM or because DD had IUGR.  That was done with a u/s tech and she printed a cute picture for me and put a few more on my DVD (they give you one for any/all scans at my MFM).

The echo itself was done by a pediatric cardiologist.  Mine was done because they thought they saw a possible hole in the heart (ventricle septal defect) at the a/s.  He looked at the heart for maybe 15 min, with the blood flow/red/blue flipped on for part of that.  He didn't say a word the whole time, which sort of made me nervous, but in the end he said he didn't see anything to be concerned about it.  It was probably just a shadow at the a/s or a hole that already closed.  He said we'd do fetal echo in the hospital at some point after baby was born, just to double check, but he wasn't concerned at all.

I hope you get great news tomorrow!
  • Options
    We had to go back three times for them to complete our Fetal Echo. It was much like a normal anatomy scan. They looked in detail at certain parts of the body but really focused on the heart. Each of our visits was about 2 hours long, because of the twins (also the reason we had to go back so many times!). 

Our tech was nice and gave us several pictures each time.  FX baby cooperates for your scan!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"