1st Trimester
Options

Baby Measuring at 4 Weeks but 6 Weeks Pregnant

I ovulated late this month- day 21 of my cycle. But my doctor told me I was 6 weeks pregnant based on my last menstrual cycle. She was very pessimistic from the get go. Before I was pregnant she checked my progesterone and she told me I didn't ovulate last month. That was May- when I got pregnant! When I told her I was pregnant 2 weeks later, she had me get my levels checked, progesterone was 6.2 and HCG was 590. She told me that my levels are extremely low and that she wasn't going to prescribe progesterone because I would just be "delaying the inevitable" and that it "doesn't work to begin with". I had to argue with her telling her that I wanted the progesterone and she finally prescribed it. My second blood test was HCG 980 and she didn't even test for progesterone! My last test which I had to plead with her to check my progesterone, was 48 hours later. Progesterone shot up to 24 and HCG was 1480. I know the numbers are low and I also don't have any symptoms. I am so worried about miscarriage because it took us a year of trying. I went for an ultrasound, both vaginal and regular, and the sac is measuring at 4 weeks even though I am 6 weeks pregnant. I did ovulate late so technically the pregnancy would only show as 4.5 weeks, because that's how old the fetus would be, correct? I just want to know if anyone has had a full term pregnancy with a similar situation. I also just don't feel pregnant but the nurse reassured me that I am still extremely early so it's normal to not have any symptoms yet.

Re: Baby Measuring at 4 Weeks but 6 Weeks Pregnant

• Options
    megdaigmegdaig member
    edited June 2014
    Sounds like your doctor doesn't know what they're doing. You ovulated 7 days later than her calculations assume so you should be around the 5 week mark, not 6. I'd look for a new doctor.

And it's completely normal to not havy any symptoms as they aren't a sign of a healthy or unhealthy pregnancy. Some of us just get lucky and have no symptoms.
    BabyFetus Ticker}
  • Options
    I actually did get a new doctor a couple of days ago. My new doctor is the complete opposite. She even gave me lab slips and she said I'm allowed to make as many copies as I want so I can go have blood draws unlimited times. It's in the same office but a different doctor. I'm still so worried though because I DID have breast tenderness BEFORE my BFP but since then it has diminished to almost nothing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MNgirl326MNgirl326 member
    edited June 2014

you are just going to have to wait it out and see what happens. 

Symptoms don't mean much.  I have had very few symptoms this time around.  Very few.

If the baby is healthy, in the next few weeks you will be able to see a hb on the u/s- so I would see if your doctor can do a viability scan at around 8 weeks just to see where things are.

If the baby is not healthy, there isn't anything you can do.  You really just have to wait it out and see if anything develops or not.   And remember that there is nothing you can do to stop a m/c nor was there anything you did to cause a m/c.

Good luck, I know how hard it is to be at in this limbo place.  Hopefully you will have some answers in the next couple weeks.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thank you. I actually have another ultrasound scheduled for Thursday. You are right, it is so difficult to be in limbo right now. All I want to know is if this pregnancy is viable or not and it feels like forever until I find out. The doctor said we should definitely be able to tell if this pregnancy is viable or not at the next ultrasound.
  • Options
    I apologize. My progesterone wasn't 24. It shot up to 15.
  • Options
    That initial progesterone number is really low and if you were taking progesterone supplements that would be the reason your progesterone rose over time. I would look at the HCG numbers, did they double every 48-72 hours?

You said your initial draw was 590 and that the second was 980, was that 48 hours later or just the next day?

Unfortunately you will have to wait til your ultrasound :/ I know the waiting must be horrible, I've been in that boat before. FWIW I had doctors tell me my pregnancy with DS1 wasn't viable and he turns 3 next week.. so it aint over til its over! My progesterone got as low as 9.9 with him before started the supplements, though I don't recall the HCG numbers or doubling time. Best of luck to you, hopefully you are just earlier than you think!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Options
    cafecremecafecreme member
    edited June 2014
    Get another dr. - end of story.

It sounds like the baby is measuring right on track based on what you said. It's hard to tell the exact size of it, because at that point its so small (think sunflower seed). 

Find another OB/GYN and have them do another u/s around 8-9 weeks. Those are more accurate. By then you should see the heartbeat as well. 

Good luck! btw, march 15 month board is here to help if you need advice/support!

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have an ultrasound this coming Thursday. On Thursday, I will technically be about 7 weeks however since I ovulated so late the sac should be right around 5 and a half. The blood tests are 48 hours apart. The one where my HCG was 1480 was about 40 hours from my previous one of 980.
  • Options
    At 5w0d with my son, there wasn't much to see yet. Our next u/s was at 9w0d so there was a ton more reassuring stuff to see.

Symptoms can come and go, and that doesn't mean anything's necessarily wrong.

I hope your new doc takes really good care of you!
  • Options
    My doctor is counting from my last menstrual period which will be 7 weeks on Thursday. That's why I said technically because that's what my doctor said. She is not counting from when I ovulated. But she does understand that the sac might be measuring small because I ovulated late. We are going for an ultrasound at my doctor's office and she is most likely going to have us come in for a weekly ultrasound. I am also going every 48-72 hours for blood work.
  • Options
    She is just looking to see if the sac is getting larger and developing. She's not concerned about a hb just yet.
  • Options
    I agree with the pp. If you are certain when you ovulated, AND the dating ultrasound was closer to this date, then why in the world would he/she still use the LMP?? Isn't that the POINT of dating ultrasounds?
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Options
    finally00finally00 member
    edited July 2014
    UPDATE: Since my last post, I have switched doctors, and my new doctor is great. My numbers have not been rising as they should. Since the blood test that showed HCG levels at 1480, I took two more blood tests at intervals of about 72 hours each, and they showed only slight increases to 1850, then 1980 on Tuesday. After the last test we were expecting the worst and prepared to see a miscarriage at our ultrasound on Thursday. To our surprise, the fetus had grown! A week ago it was an empty sac that the dr. measured at 4 weeks. This week there was not only a yoke, but to our surprise, a HEARTBEAT, and the dr. measured it at about 6 weeks. The heartbeat was also good- 119 beats per minute. Not only were we completely shocked, but so was the doctor. She couldn't comprehend it- right there on the screen was our little sweet pea :). It just doesn't make sense, how would it grow so rapidly with HCG barely rising and only at 1950?! The doctor said maybe I'm just someone who doesn't produce much HCG. We're cautiously optimistic, but are still unsure of what to expect going forward. Has anyone carried a baby to term under similar conditions, with HCG numbers rising very slowly, but early ultrasounds showing normal development?
  • Options
    Not to be a downer but I had a very similar situation. I was measuring what I thought was 2 weeks behind. OB I must have had my dates wrong. HB was a little lower at 105 and measured 6w2d when I should have been at least 8w. At 12w4d I had a MMC. Turned out LO stopped growing at 6w3d. My advice is to ask for another ultra-sound in a week or so. Thinking I was carrying a viable pregnancy for six weeks after the baby was gone really messed with my head and is have never fully recovered from it.
    This happened to me as well. But two months after my D&C I got another BFP and the early weeks were exactly the same way, and now I'm 31 weeks. I just want to give you both sides, because both times I started out not knowing what would happen, and it can go either way. Good luck to you and T&P that your LO continues to grow.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    Thanks for the responses! Yes my doctor is keeping a close eye on me and we are doing an ultrasound every week. I am also continually doing blood work every 48-72 hours.
  • Options
    Not to be a downer but I had a very similar situation. I was measuring what I thought was 2 weeks behind. OB I must have had my dates wrong. HB was a little lower at 105 and measured 6w2d when I should have been at least 8w. At 12w4d I had a MMC. Turned out LO stopped growing at 6w3d. My advice is to ask for another ultra-sound in a week or so. Thinking I was carrying a viable pregnancy for six weeks after the baby was gone really messed with my head and is have never fully recovered from it.
    Same thing happened to me last year. Almost identical stories. I was devastated. I am also currently 33 weeks with a baby boy.

GL to all. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• Options
    UPDATE: I am 8 weeks baby measures at 6 weeks 5 days at my last ultrasound. I ovulated late so that is why. HCG level is presently at 3800. Baby had a strong heartbeat and is developing as it should. Fluid is low around the baby. Since the doctor usually only does ultrasounds if there is an issue such as bleeding or cramping, she is unsure if this is normal. I have not found anything online to help me out. I realize that low fluid this early is not good and puts me at an increased risk for miscarriage. My doctor is keeping a close eye on me and is going to do an ultrasound every week. I don't know what to think. I have read that drinking water- a lot of water increases amniotic fluid. I have been drinking a gallon a day in hopes that my little bean sticks.
  • Options
    My HCG does not double, but it slowly rises yet the baby is right on track.
  • Options
    Hoping for the continued best for you and your sticky bean!
  • Options
    Thank you! :)
  • Options
    conradragingconradraging member
    edited July 2014
    Update sounds pretty good so far, I hope your continued ultrasounds bring you good news. Positive thoughts for you and your LO!

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    I just went for my weekly ultrasound today and there was no heartbeat. I have lost the baby. I am probably going Friday for a D&C. Thank you for all your support.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to read this update.  Please take good care of yourself.
    -Lily
    EDD: 1/27/15
    So excited for our rainbow baby!
  • Options
    My LMP was 9 weeks ago. The baby was measuring at 7.5 because I ovulated late. The past 2 weeks we went, there was a heartbeat- today there was not.
  • Options
    What would you ladies recommend that have had a miscarriage: D&C or the termination pill?
  • Options
    Get the D&C Done, I had that in March. Not nearly as bad. It can be very traumatic and painful to miscarry at home. If you can help it, get the D&C...
    Hannah

Nov'12- Started TTC
    Sept-Dec'13- HSG, 2 IUI's, DX PCOS
    Jan '14- IUI#2=BFP!!
    Mar '14- M/C @ 8w2d when I should've been 9 weeks. D & C 3/7/14
    May'14- Started Pregnitude
    June'14- BFP! (Naturally!!) Beta #1 (4w2d)=78, Beta #2 (4w4d)=219, Beta #3 (5w0d)=785

BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hweise85, are you pregnant now? I worry that the D&C will cause infertility.
  • Options
    I would rather just have be done. We want to try again in 3 months and if I miscarry at home, the doctor said it could be weeks from now. The longer we wait, the worse it's going to be. Has anyone else's doctor told them to wait 3 months?
  • Options
    finally00 said:
    Hweise85, are you pregnant now? I worry that the D&C will cause infertility.
    According to her ticker, she is 6w3d pregnant.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My first pregnancy ended in a missed m/c. I took the Cytotec and if I ever have to make that decision again I will opt for a D&C.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I chose to have the D&C for my loss. It was better for me. But, like pp said, it is a very personal decision.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    As pp's have indicated this is definitely a personal decision and one I would thoroughly discuss with my Dr. My experience ended in a D & C after starting at home and I was pregnant again 2 months later. I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    I am sorry for your loss. Our first pregnancy was a missed miscarriage and I opted for the D&C (I wanted it over with). It was a very easy and pain free procedure and I got closure right away. Never had any issues. I think they typically tell you to wait 2-3 months to try again. I think that's to let your body heal and get back on a regular cycle and to also allow yourself to mentally heal as well. Best of luck!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Options
    dmsmthdmsmth member
    ((hugs)) :(  I'm sorry.  I had a d&c 6yrs ago before my first dd.  I have had no lasting complications from it.  I was told to wait 2 cycles to ttc again. 
    m/c April '08
    DD#1 born June '09
    DD#2 born April '11
    TTC #3 as of July '14

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"