Natural Birth

Question for those of you who have had Midwife care....

What kind of inductions can your midwife do?  I'm asking because this time I'm looking to give birth at a birth center with midwives.  My last birth was 45 minutes from first contraction to baby so I'm guessing another induction is in my cards (or an ambulance ride, I guess).  With my son's birth I was at 6 cm for two days before agreeing to have my water broken in the hospital.  

I'm wondering if I will be limited to water breaking and castor oil if I work with midwives, or if some use limited pitocin if necessary.  I know induction is usually not medically necessary, I just really don't want an emergency birth.

I will of course ask my midwives during my first appointment, but they don't see patients until the 12th week and I'm just worried I'll either be considered high risk or they won't have options, etc.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Question for those of you who have had Midwife care....

• There are many types of midwives with many different policies.  My midwives don't do inductions at all, even breaking water isn't something they do.

Please try not to assume your next birth will be anything like your last.  My first was 35 minutes from start to finish.  My second was 4 hours.

• aetgaetg member

Please try not to assume your next birth will be anything like your last.  My first was 35 minutes from start to finish.  My second was 4 hours.

Of course it could go differently, but given the history and the fact that we will be traveling 45 minutes-1 hr to the birth center I think that if given the same scenario (6 cm for days) I will rather chance induction versus having the baby myself.
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered my first in a hospital with a CNM, and was induced via Cooks catheter and pitocin due to GD complications.  Not sure about in a birth center though.

1999: Met The Boy
    2005: Started dating
    2009: Got married
    2012: Welcomed our baby girl
  • aetgaetg member
    Use of pitocin requires more monitoring than what is typically offered at a free-standing birth center. The limits are your setting, not a (assuming) CNM's scope of practice.
    Thanks, that is helpful information.
  • DebateThisDebateThis member
    edited June 2014
    My labor was augmented, not induced, but my CNMs were licensed to use pitocin and did. I think the only big difference in what CNMs can't do (vs OBs) is c/s in terms of hospital care. AROM, pitocin - my CNMs were able to use them all.

ETA: I just saw that you're hoping to use a birth center. I am pretty sure you cannot be induced at a BC.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • My CNM can do any type of induction, but that was in a hospital.  As pp said it's the setting that would be make it limited.  

• Have you considered a home birth? Then you wouldnt have to go anywhere!
  • jmknoxjmknox member
    edited July 2014
    They can also sweep the membranes (some will do it multiple times) and I have heard of some acupuncture use. Don't forget other natural methods like walking, sex, nipple stimulation, red raspberry leaf tea, pineapple, etc. if you are a fast laborer then like PP said, you may want to consider a home birth or at least have midwives on high alert birth center. Every labor is different though- maybe this time you will go into labor on your own :) Edit- I do not think (from what you described) that you would be considered high risk. Risking out would be pre -E, uncontrolled gestational diabetes, etc.
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I agree that the setting will dictate what they can and can't do.  I used a hospital based midwife group with my first and am using a different midwife group with my second (also hospital based).  In my case, both could use pit and other more "medical" methods of induction in consultation with the OB group that they practice with (I think some things have to be done by an MD, but I'm not sure which ones).  I agree with the other posters that each birth is different and you could have a totally different experience this time around where some extra help isn't needed.  I'd start the conversation now with your midwife about things that you can do at home should you be in a similar situation to your first birth experience.  You might be able to get your labor going doing simple things like walking, having sex, etc and not need further intervention.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"