Multiples

Breastfeeding is frickin HARD.

This is by far the most challenging part ( and for most women, I'm sure). Yesterday morning I broke down in tears about it. My little boy actually nurses pretty well, but my little girl is struggling a bit. She latches ok, but just doesn't seem to want to suck (and it doesn't help that she keeps falling asleep.) 

I've only been trying to do this for three days, and I can already see how people would want  to give up and do formula!

Re: Breastfeeding is frickin HARD.

• you can do it!!! keep at it, your little girl will get the hang of it. Sometimes babies are just lazy. have you tried rubbing her feet when she starts to doze off? I have also heard a cool damp wash cloth on the feet and lower legs will help to wake a 'lazy' baby up.
  • I know! It can be so hard. But, once they get the hang of it they will bf like champs. After a week all 3 of you will be pros.
  • Loading the player...
  • oh that first week was so tough and on top of everything, you're exhausted!  Luke never did attach well even after a couple trips to the lactation folks.  It was about 2 weeks in when I decided to pump exclusively.  It worked well b/c I had a lot of help the first couple months and anyone could feed them.  Seriously, whatever works for you will be fine for those babies.
  • Try not to get discouraged!  Just think of how good it is for your babies - my reasoning was that if the pharmaceutical companies that make the formula admit right on the can that breastmilk is best, then hell, it must be!  Also, think of all the $$$$$ you are saving by not using formula.  I give my boys one bottle with formula at night before bed and we go through a big can of the stuff every week.  I'd be burning through 4 or 5 cans a week if not nursing them!  Besides, if you nurse them, it is way easier to feed them at the same time than to bottle feed them at the same time, which counts down on your awake time in the early morning hours. 

Your daughter will pick it up soon - she may just not be as hungry as your son.  My boys were the same way in the beginning.  Also,  not to sound funny, but make sure you use the nipple cream/lanolin stuff after every feeding - the first two weeks can be really painful until you get used to it, but after that, you'll be fine!  Best of luck!

-jen

• :( Sorry, hon. Hope it gets easier SOON! Are you tandem nursing?
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Honestly the more you do it, the easier that it gets.  Have you tried stripping your dd down to keep her awake.  It was the only thing that worked for KJ.  He had to be fully naked, and I got several hands full of poo, but it meant that he stayed awake through a feeding and that I got to sleep for more than 40 minutes at a time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can definately do it!  Before you know it, you will be like me and crying because you are having to wean!
  • You can do it..don't give up!!  I loved BFing my boys..and I wouldn't have changed it for the world! Try to not get discouraged..it will eventually become second nature!

• I feel your pain... DS would fall asleep after 2 minutes and DD had a hard time latching. 

Falling asleep - we would strip him down and rub him with a cool washcloth.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  If after 5 minutes of trying he was still snoozing at the breast I'd give him a bottle and move on to DD. 

DD could only latch with a nipple shield, man did that shield make a difference.  After 3 weeks of trying I gave up and went to pumping exclusively.  I'm weaning now at 9 months.  Good luck, do what works best for you!!

Nicol

• Hang in there, girl!  My babies are 7 weeks old but were born at 33 weeks.  I have been breastfeeding them for 4 weeks now and it has been a difficult ride.  There are definitely days when i think: "gee this isn't that difficult" and other days when something new comes up like a bad latch or something when i'm like: "Am i f-ing crazy?!?"  I promise it gets easier and much less painful each day.
  • I change baby girl before I feed her and keep her partially undressed to keep her awake.  She also seemed to do better once my flow increased.  Hang in there!  My little boy does not latch very well at all, but I pretty much just drown him in milk once I let down and he swallows
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"