North Carolina Babies

Goodmamas on Sale!!!

www.thegoodmama.com?

3 for $63 (or $71.50 after shipping if you don't order $100 worth).

?I just got this in an email -?

NEW YEARS INVENTORY BLOW OUT!??BUY TWO FITTED DIAPERS GET ONE FREE!?Because I?love you all so much, the 10% off sale is still in effect! Combine 10% off, buy 2,get 1 free, and free shipping and get your fluff for a steal!

ETA: I just got 6 for $21 each, what a steal :)

?

Re: Goodmamas on Sale!!!

• Oh dear...Evans, why do you want to ruin my marriage??

I swore no more diapers for a while....but really, how am I supposed to pass this up? And they are one size diapers...and we use them for overnight...and they are just so soft and fit so well. 

I need to get on DS and sell all of my pocket dipes, stat. Hopefully that will make up for some of what I just spent! But really, $21 each...that's just amazing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's too crazy!  I've had them in my cart for 3 hours but I can't (yet!) do it!

BTW, just add a super doubler and with 3 diapers it'll be $100 before the discount and you'll get free shipping even though you'll pay less than $100. Big Smile 

But you know I'll buy them.  I can't not.  This sucks but at the same time it's making my day...we have issues, girls!  I'm truly sorry for my role in your bank account!  (But I stand by the fact that it's still cheaper than sposies b/c of the resale value...although I think the resale value dropped today with this news.)  Stick out tongue

So...which ones did you buy? Wink 

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Loading the player...
  • I wanted to buy a bunch of pretty ones, but I went neutral since I don't know if this new baby is a girl or a boy and I will reuse them.

Plus, DD doesn't run around much without a cover, so I just got Switched and velour fitteds. ? I love them so much more than our other fitteds - the elastic is amazing.

My Crickett's Toddler Size are going on DS. ?They just don't fit DD at all. :(?

• The OBV are so so so soft!  I have 3 in my cart...waiting....

That's too bad about the toddler Crickett's.  I still have just 1 and it's still a bit big on Kira bit I think she'll grow into it.  She wore it today and it worked fine, just a bit funky fitting.  The downside to Crickett's seems to be for our  liitle ones who need mediums!  The infant ones still fit her but they're low on my go-to list now.  They're still what I highly recommend for newborns through 16ish pound babes, however.  Ours got a lot of love and I plan to keep them.

imageimageimage

• Oooh I wish I had seen that post about the super doubler before I bought 6....whoops!

I got Hot to Dot, Tip Toe Tulips, Neo, Cosmo, Diva (even though I am very anti-diva, this is a cute diaper...it doesn't say diva on it, so I deem it ok!) and Lipstick.

I just listed 6 pockets on DS and am about to sell 3 of them already! I'm thinking about getting rid of my Cricketts too Evans, though we only have 2. I just always go to my GMs first.

• I loved my Crickett's Infant size, but it is a teeny bikini on her now - it still fits but the rise is WAY below her belly button. ?The toddlers are huge and have gaping holes around her legs. ?She is just so skinny. ?The GMs fit like a glove and are just so soft and awesome.

I didn't even think of trying to add something else, I just assumed it would not do the deduction if the final sale was not over $100, but I am fine with it - 6 new GM is great for me and is such a good investment, I know they will last through the next little one.?

?

• OK, I bought them.  I knew I would, LOL.  It was just a matter of which ones.  I already had all that I really wanted, but for $21?!?  I would be a badmama for passing that up!!! Stick out tongue

I think buying 6 was smart -- you'll get a ton of use out of them.  I think if you had bought just 3 that you'd be yelling at yourself in the next few weeks that you could have had even more for just $21. Wink  I actually have my NIP Neo in my selling pile, but it is very nice!

I really want to own mostly GN diapers, but alas, even though DD is 13+ months old, I'm finding myself buying mostly girly ones.  I really don't want her to potty learn in 2009 or these will be SO pointless!  Indeed, I didn't buy any GMs last fall/winter (I bought my first in Feb.) because I wanted to buy a GN print for a potential 2nd child and none existed yet...even when my 1st child was a fetus and newborn.  I couldn't justify $28.50 (at the time) for a diaper that possibly only Kira would wear.  The first GM I bought in Feb. was $33 (Surprise Party), and all the rest have been $35 before shipping.  The OBVs are somewhat more GN, but all but a few of the prints are definitely girly.  I honestly wish they weren't!  I know if I were pg now that I'd be better about that, but who knows when we'll have #2, and I guess I'd rather get them for her to love now, all 13+ months of her.  But at least GN is an option now and you're so smart to get those.

I understand about the Crickett's.  Kira's legs aren't skinny (relatively-speaking) but her waist is small and she's just at that in-between stage and has been since about 9 months old.  I'm so sorry they didn't work better for you Sad, though I'm glad you got some use out of the infant ones when you first started CDing.  They're such a reasonable price new, however, that I think you can probably sell them for just a little less than you paid.  Maybe $10ish since they've hardly been used?  I'm not sure of the going rate on toddler ones.

I also think of diapers as an investment.  Heck, better than stocks, real estate.... Tongue Tied  And if you really use them that often, which is awesome, then that's even better.  We use ours a ton for all the reasons that you've each -- for better or worse -- discovered!!! Big Smile

imageimageimage

• Wow ladies.... y'all are sales people and you didn't even know it =)  I am NOT pregnant but have been trying desperately to get my BFF who is expecting in March to consider CD'ing so I just broke down and ordered six diapers from the sale.  I was going to just get two(plus my freebie), but then I went ahead and picked 3 more b/c it gave me free shipping and the other 3 diapers. 

Her shower is coming up in January so perhaps I will drop these on her then!!! Is this cruel of me?  She is going to be a SAHM and I really think she will enjoy all the patterns and ease if she would give it a shot...

I ordered all neutrals expect one girly one (hothouse hula - to help sway her) so I guess I could sell them if she doesn't like it or stash them away for myself down the road...

So now a STUPID question...what kind of cover do you use and how neccesary are they?  If she is going to be home and changing the baby frequently can she go without?

Thanks for all your tips and encourangement (I store it all way for me too)

Em

Oh and YES it is 1030pm on NYE and this is what I am doing =)

• OMG those diapers are so cute.  I hate ya'll!
  • PS- what kind of covers do you use with your GMs?  I really want to get some of these, but I only have a couple of covers and I'm not sure what to get.  There doesn't seem to be much on the site.
  • That's super nice of you, 802!  Very sweet!!!

We don't use covers on goodmamas at home but we do when we go out.  We usually use wool, but PUL (I love ol' Thirstes) or fleece work too.  Well, come to think of it, now that it's cooler out, we are using our basic fleece longies more.  Her wool longies fit her last winter but all that I have that fit her are soakers right now, and one pair of too-short wool interlock longies.  Yes, I need to be buying wool not more fitteds, no doubt!  PUL covers are great for around the house if you need/want them, and we use them under dresses sometimes, but I don't ever put pants over PUL covers -- that'd be an extra layer and I'm too lazy. ;)

And yes, it's nearly midnight, and this is what I'm doing on NYE!!! 

imageimageimage

• Okay okay, you guys got me to click on the site!! :)  I've never even let myself look at a Goodmama before because I knew they were too $$$ for me.  But $21 is not too bad.

A couple of questions from those of you who use them:  I'm looking for a good nighttime diaper.  Are GMs a good choice?  Are they bulky or fairly trim? (he sleeps on his side and hates when one of his legs is "levitating" in the air from a bulky diaper between his legs LOL!)

Also, are they stay dry?  He tends to get rashy when his skin stays wet, unfortunately.  We've had so much trouble finding the perfect nighttime diaper.  I'd splurge on 3 of these if they were it :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • oh and another question - what type of extra "bulk" do you add to these for different kinds of heavy wetters?  how long do they stay dry to the outisde (like when you are at home?)
  • Let me see if I can answer some questions.

We use either wool, Thirsties or Bummis SuperBrite covers over our GMs. They are a one size diaper, so they are not trim, but I don't think they are huge at all- and Maddie is 12 lbs, so I'm sure they'll get less and less bulky as she grows.

One time I tried to put Maddie to bed in a double stuffed BG and she looked like she was doing a backbend- I do not have that problem with my GMs :).

However, her XS covers do not fit over her GMs, only her S covers do, so if you were to buy a cover I would not pick a cover where DC is close to the weight limit. Honestly if you are just using them at night I think 1 cover would be enough, definitely 2.

I've never tried them coverless during the day b/c I use them as my nighttime diapers, so I don't know how long she'd stay dry. When she only wakes up 1x at night to eat, the front is mostly dry in the morning. When she wakes up more than once to eat, it's pretty soaked, but I've never had a leak in the GMs. 

I think they make doublers on the GM site, but Maddie isn't a super heavy wetter so I've never added anything to her diaper. If I did, I'd probably add one of my Crickets hemp inserts inbetween the diaper and the cover.

The OBV is one of the best natural fabrics for keeping the baby dry- however it isn't as good as suedecloth or microfleece (IMO). Evans might be able to answer that question better b/c I think K is prone to diaper rash.

The reason I love the GMs so much is mainly b/c of the fit. Most one size diapers just don't fit my little baby very well but these fit perfectly, and I've heard that they fit pretty much every size, shape and age really well. It's a workhorse diaper, but it's SO soft and not bulky, which is nice. And the included insert/doubler snaps out, so they don't take forever to dry. And of course they are super absorbant. (You like how I'm trying to take all of you down with me, lol???)

• LOL Jenhum!  Well I know there must be some reason everyone loves them so much! :)  They sound perfect except maybe for keeping his skin dry enough.  I wonder if I added a stay dry liner?  When I do that in the Baby BeeHind he gets a rash on his hip and belly where the liner doesn't protect him from wetness.
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally, I think if Liam is that sensitive and prone to rashes, you should stick with staydry fabrics like suedecloth and microfleece.  I haven't jumped on the GM train, but I don't use fitteds.  I'd like to try some, but I don't think it's going to be anytime soon, for financial reasons. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with jenhum on all counts! Big Smile

imagecrescentmoon99:
    LOL Jenhum!  Well I know there must be some reason everyone loves them so much! :)  They sound perfect except maybe for keeping his skin dry enough.  I wonder if I added a stay dry liner?  When I do that in the Baby BeeHind he gets a rash on his hip and belly where the liner doesn't protect him from wetness.

Just to clarify though I think you understand this, suedecloth and microfleece are stay-dry fabrics since they wick the moisture right through from the source of the wetness (the baby) to the absorbent material.  They are not, by definition, absorbent fabrics.  This is why fleece works as a soaker/shorties/longies, because the moisture essentially evaporates away on the outside, and it's why if you own a fleece jacket or something, it takes such a short amount of tie to dry.  It's breathable and none of it gets absorbed.  Microfleece is just thin fleece.

You can have diapers made with suedecloth or microfleece as the top layer, and pocket diapers always have them on top (at least, as far as I know, since that's what pocket diapers do, LOL).  Thirsties Fab Fitteds and AIOs also always have microfleece on top.  There are other WAHMs/companies that will sew one of these two fabrics on top if you so choose, Nana's Bottoms being one that a bunch of you now know.  BUT...the downside is that these fabrics aren't natural fabrics, they're 100% polyester.  Natural fabrics such as cotton, bamboo, and hemp absorb, not wick.  That's important to some people, not to others, but it is one of the major benefits CDs offer.  Fortunately, when need be, you can always add a microfleece (or a resuable/flushable paper-like) liner to ANY type of diaper.  The benefit to liners is that because they're removable, if they get stained form poop or if you need to use diaper cream (which in most cases shouldn't touch CDs or they'll repel moisture and leak), you kinda don't care!  They cost pennies to make; just cut microfleece, no need to sew.  I keep them on hand and use them when Kira is overdo for a poop, when I use diaper cream (which is very rarely, I'm still using the same tube I bought before she was born and still have a good half of it left), or when we going on a long car ride and I won't be able to check her as easily.  But it's really nice knowing that she can have the natural fabrics right next to her skin when I want her to.  And if you feel a goodmama, you're going to want your LO to feel that fabric occasionally if not most of the time!

Of all the fabrics I think bamboo is super absorbent, and it is really dry to the touch on the inside of the diaper compared to most other fabrics, in my experience.  So, buy organic bamboo velour goodmamas (because of the OBV, not despite of it -- it's amazing!), enjoy all of the benefits that jenhum described, and use a microfleece (or other) liner if it makes you feel better, or until you feel like trying it once without one. 

In a nutshell, ALL diapers can become stay dry when you want them to be.  It's a nice option to have.  But *personally*, I wouldn't want most of my diapers to have stay-dry sewn onto them.  (Some of mine do, as you know, such as my monkey suedecloth-lined Nana's Bottom that a few of you saw!)  A removable stay-dry layer is really nice.

By the way, microfiber is different than microfleece.  Microfiber is absorbent, but it's not a natural fabric and should never touch your baby's skin because it is so drying.  It works great to dry baby bottles, which I finally figured out last year when I was sick of wasting paper towels 12 times a day, and they're popular for use with cars!   But for diapers, I prefer a natural absorbent material, including for use inside pockets (hemp, cotton, bamboo).  Thirsties Fab Fitteds and AIOs contain microfiber, BTW.  I like both of those and I recommend them, but the microfiber just wouldn't be *my* first choice.

Oh, and if you want to try just one goodmama, let me know as I have some brand new ones that I'd be happy to pass along.  I really do have too many since I bought them in part to share back when they were so hard to find. Embarrassed

Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

imageimageimage

• I see that the 10% sale has ended, but surprisingly enough the buy 2 get 1 free is still going.  Three GMs are $105 before the discount, so you'll spend $70 for two with the sale and get free shipping automatically.  Still an awesome deal for the quality of one-size diapers, ladies!  Or you can try one of mine, LOL.

And I thought of one other thing after I typed that book above, and that's that Baby Beehinds (which we love for nighttime) that were made in the last year-plus have 10% poly in them, so they're no longer 100% natural (70% bamboo/30% cotton blend).  They added it so it would stay softer and not shrink.  Many moms didn't want that change because they would no longer be 100% natural.  Honestly, I can't tell the difference between mine (I have about half without poly and half with) even after 9ish months of nightly use, but as much as we use ours, I don't mind the 10% poly one bit.  Diaper makers know that natural fibers shrink slightly and account for it when they design them so that they'll fit correctly after they shrink.  For example, goodmamas include a soaker now that is intended to be too long at first and to shrink down.  That's kind of an aside but I wanted to point out another purpose of poly.  Still, it's nice to have mostly natural fabrics since indeed that is one of the major selling points of cloth, especially for babies with sensitive skin.

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"