March 2012 Moms

Games for speech development

Here is a guest blogger link to some suggestions for games for speech development. I find this lady's posts to be interesting even though dd does not currently have any known speech problems.

https://www.lovethatmax.com/2013/07/best-tips-for-boosting-spech-development.html?m=1

Her actual blog
https://www.playingwithwords365.com/
image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Games for speech development

• Nice article, thanks for sharing! I am going to try the imitation activities. Does anyone have any feedback on such games?
  • I am reading another article by the same author ( https://www.playingwithwords365.com/2014/06/toddlers-speech-language-development/ ) and shes says that by 18 months, the average child has 50 words in his vocabulary. To me this sounds like a bit too much...What do you think?
  • Loading the player...
  • I am reading another article by the same author ( https://www.playingwithwords365.com/2014/06/toddlers-speech-language-development/ ) and shes says that by 18 months, the average child has 50 words in his vocabulary. To me this sounds like a bit too much...What do you think?

That seems high to me. Granted, I graduated in 2008 so things may have changed, but we learned the average rule of thumb was 20-ish words around 18m and 50 words around 2yrs.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• edited July 2014
    Unless she is including words they understand not just words they say. Because she says 200-300 by age 2 and that seems very, very high to me. Granted, I have a B.S. in Child Development not speech pathology so I don't know a ton about speech delays and such, just the basics.

TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• WipzWipz member
    Dominik definitely doesn't have 50  clear words.. he chats up a storm of garbage which clearly means something to him as it's repetitive... not random  ..it's just not something we recognize as a word yet. He recognizes some numbers and letters but not all.  but he knows what programs he is gonna get to watch depending on if its you tube or Netflix lol.  His comprehension of requests is great, his obedience to some of those requests .. Not so  LOL  His sense of humor is definitely not struggling... oh good lord this kid kills me some days.

Sometimes it's just us as adults not actually realizing quickly what is being said.  It took us about a week to realize that he was saying his name.. because of the way he says it and I guess we just weren't expecting it. 

Excited's daughter is light years ahead of him in speech .. I think kids just develop at their own pace. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Excited30 said:
    Unless she is including words they understand not just words they say. Because she says 200-300 by age 2 and that seems very, very high to me. Granted, I have a B.S. in Child Development not speech pathology so I don't know a ton about speech delays and such, just the basics.
    I've done some speech therapy with my daughter through a children's hospital.  I don't think that the 200-300 words is terribly high.  I know some children speak more than others (mine does), but I think that sounds fairly close to the average expected from speech therapists. Nothing to worry about if your child doesn't speak that much either.  But, I seem to remember them expecting dd to have around 50-100 close to 15 months.  And between 15 months - 2 years there's a lot of room for tons of words to be tried and spoken. and @Wipz is quite right....I am very aware that my daughter excels in words/verbal communication.  She probably has somewhere between 500-1000 words by now and speaks in big sentences.  

Like I said, it's been awhile so I had to learn it, 8 years ago now and the book was probably 10-12 years old now. But even DD's doc was only looking for 20-30 words at 18m and 50-75 at 2yrs so I figured that was still pretty standard.

• WipzWipz member
    I'm  expecting a huge word explosion soon..  but if it doesn't happen.. I'm still not worried. As long as I see progress I am happy for him to take it at his own pace.. 

Mommy might be a stay at home mommy soon and I think that will prove interesting
  • Oh yeah @wipz? Didn't know you were considering SAH!
  • WipzWipz member
    edited July 2014
    LilNunz1 said:
    Oh yeah @wipz? Didn't know you were considering SAH!
    Hubby is going to the Police academy so he will be on days  for at least 6 months

.. It's a toss up between day care, or quitting my job and staying home ....and to be honest I am not big on the idea of day care.  If my job was going better the choice would be harder, but its been going downhill faster than the Jamaican Bob sled team lately due to structural changes within the company.  It would be like I was working to send my son to DC so I could stay in a dead end job which is starting to make me miserable ... No Bueno!! I could transfer to a new position but that would be highly unlikely to accommodate a work from home  flex schedule that I would want.  

I'm not gonna lie and paint it with roses.. it is a tough choice to make to give up my independence and the money I make .. not a decision made lightly.  But in the long run grand scheme of things I think it's the right choice for my family at this moment in time.  

It will be almost impossible to find another job at that pay scale and benefits later on.. but such is life and we do what we can.  I may find a part time gig, or go back to my old web stuff  and polish up some VERY rusty skills while I am not working..  We shall see.. I applied for a different position with my company but highly doubtful they will not only promote me ..but give me the work schedule and environment I want.. but you never know lol.  

We just found out the dates for the academy are a lot sooner than expected so I doubt my company would have even have time to promote me, even if they wanted to agree lol.   The good thing is if I leave and come back to the company within a month, I think I come back in  to the same status for vacation allowance and benefits etc.

Whatever will be will be.... isn't that how it goes.  Typical just when I might actually have time to trawl in here..  the  board is dying off anyway  LOL  

I guess you never know.. they may decide I am  worth bumping up 4 pay grades and letting me work from home on my schedule is ok...  BUT I am not holding my breath and have already accepted my fate...  haha 
  • Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will pick what is best for your family!
  • Wow @Wipz‌ that is a big change! Let us know how it goes.
  • WipzWipz member
    Will do  :)  I'm still willing to try the remote work from home.. if they would allow... but not likely.  I have a conference call with my new boss in another state tomorrow.... to bring him up to speed on the situation and I have  till Thursday to hand in my resignation and still be viable for rehire. A lot going on but it will work out one way or another  :)

I will definitely keep you guys posted on developments.. and any major changes that come of the situation as far as development skills or problems..which I am sure I will see both of  since we are doing a total about face on his routine and what he is used to for 2 and half years ...lol.  Not to mention mommy will be stir crazy for a while till I adjust too.

To be honest tonight I feel extremely happy and chilled... Dominik has been going through a major antisocial streak again.. and tonight I watched him not only  act totally cool with our visitors..  he climbed on her knee to watch Ninjago, had a pillow fight on his bed .. painted 3 master pieces for them to take home and hang on their walls... played cars and to top it all off.. kissed her goodnight when they left... which he won't even do to his Grandma  LOL   he was all smiles grins and giggles.. which is like night and day from his usual self around people.  They  are so cool and laid back and not uptight about mess etc.. 

So even if I have no job by August.. I am a happy mommy tonight :)
  • @Wipz‌ at least you have a good attitude towards all of this. A lot of people would be beyond stressed. It is a hard decision to be made. There are the majority of days where I know staying home was the absolute right decision. Then there are others where I am like wow a second income would help. Even though I am sure the second income would probably go all to daycare cost. :((
    Congratulations on your DH going to the police academy! Best of luck with your decision.
  • WipzWipz member
    thanx ladies :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"