Health & Exercise

Paleo / GD glucose test question

I asked about this on the May 2012 board, but I thought I might get more paleo-informed answers on this board.  I've eaten paleo for well over a year (no sugar, no grains, no dairy ... although I'm not super strict about the no dairy).   

I have my 24 week appointment next week, and I plan to talk to my doctor about the glucose test for GD and see if there are any testing alternatives, or if I can just opt out of the test altogether.  From the things I've read, women on a paleo or very low-carb diet do not get accurate results from this test (because their bodies have converted to a fat-burning state, not glucose burning). I've read several things about women on a paleo diet "failing" the test, then being told to consume a crazy about of carbs before taking the 3 hour test of even more glucose, but these women have very healthy blood sugar ranges with their normal paleo diet.

Anyway, I don't want to take the test because (1) I don't believe the test is going to be accurate or helpful, (2) if I "fail" the test, my diet is already pretty much what they recommend for the GD diet, and (3) I don't see how a 50g glucose binge can be good for me or the baby.

Anyone go through anything similar? 

Re: Paleo / GD glucose test question

• I went through the same thought process before my test.  I eat mostly paleo (some weeks are better than others) and had second thoughts about the test.  I've also seen Robb Wolf's thoughts and some other articles about how a glucose bomb like the drink they give you is not good for the baby.  Ultimately, I decided just to take the test.  I drink milkshakes on occasion, which definitely have more sugar than that glucose drink does, so I figured I couldn't really argue the whole "this is really bad for my baby" line.  I also am not sure if I believe that just because you eat paleo that your results will be skewed in responding to the test.  If you eat paleo, I don't see why your body would respond like a diabetic to ingesting sugar.

I think it's a decision you have to make.  Maybe talk to your doctor about other options that are available?  Unfortunately I don't think there are many.  I agree that it seems like a poor way to test someone's response to sugar to load them up with it, but again, 50 grams of sugar did not seem like a big enough deal to me to decline the test.  But you may feel differently, and if you do, you should try to explore other options.  

Edited to add - I think you also have a good point that if you fail, they are just going to tell you to eat paleo anyway, as that is basically what the GD diet is.  So if you already eat that way, there's really nothing more you can do.  Even more reason for you to talk to your doctor and find out why they think you should take the test if the solution is something you are already doing.

• I've been paleo/primal for almost 4 years now, as has my husband.  We have both taken the glucose test and passed with no problems.  The last time I took it was for the pregnancy GD test.  I ate high protein/no carb breakfast before the test (my ob said it was okay to have some protein).  Maybe that helped?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been Primal for close to 2 years and have been really low-carb during this pregnancy because carbs are giving me horrible heartburn.  I did take the 1hr test at 25w and I got 146 ("passing" is <140). At 28w I did the 3hr test and carb-loaded the three days before.  My fasting # was 63 and the others were 76, 73, and 85.  It sucked, but at least now the OB won't try sending me to a nutritionist (who I doubt would be Primal/Paleo-friendly).

Good luck!  I don't think there are too many Paleo or Primal mamas, so our OBs/MWs unfortunately don't have much experience with people not eating a "typical" Western diet. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Goodreads shelf
    Snjoslin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists
  • Thanks for the responses, ladies!  I had my 24 week appointment today and spoke to my doctor about this.  She had a general understanding of paleo/primal but said she didn't have experience with other paleo moms-to-be.  So she admitted she wasn't familiar with how the glucose test might affect someone on paleo differently, but she was on board with the general idea that, given my diet, having me drink 50g of glucose would be silly and would probably f*** me up.  She also agreed that my diet is probably pretty close to what's recommended anyway if I did test positive for GD.      

She said she will have to discuss it with the other (5) doctors in her practice on Thursday, but she was comfortable (given my health history and lack of risk factors) having me not take the glucose test.  She didn't have me take the drink home with me and sounded pretty confident that the other doctors would be on board.  We discussed possible alternatives, like testing my blood sugar after a normal meal.  

Anyway, I'm relieved my doctor was open to alternatives and didn't make me feel like I was just being an annoying patient.   

• imagenoycela:

Thanks for the responses, ladies!  I had my 24 week appointment today and spoke to my doctor about this.  She had a general understanding of paleo/primal but said she didn't have experience with other paleo moms-to-be.  So she admitted she wasn't familiar with how the glucose test might affect someone on paleo differently, but she was on board with the general idea that, given my diet, having me drink 50g of glucose would be silly and would probably f*** me up.  She also agreed that my diet is probably pretty close to what's recommended anyway if I did test positive for GD.      

She said she will have to discuss it with the other (5) doctors in her practice on Thursday, but she was comfortable (given my health history and lack of risk factors) having me not take the glucose test.  She didn't have me take the drink home with me and sounded pretty confident that the other doctors would be on board.  We discussed possible alternatives, like testing my blood sugar after a normal meal.  

Anyway, I'm relieved my doctor was open to alternatives and didn't make me feel like I was just being an annoying patient.   

Good for you!  Sounds like you have a great OB.  I never even thought to question it.  I guess I should be more out-spoken with my doctors.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jennasaisquoijennasaisquoi member
    edited July 2014
    UGH. Paleo/Primal for 5 years, and I just flunked the 1 hour test with a 142 (my clinic wants it to be below 130). I called my doc's office to see if I could discuss it, avoid the 3 hour test, or just do the nutritional counseling instead. I have an appointment with my OB/Gyn on Monday, and he will (hopefully) listen to me. I know this is an old thread, but I was shocked when I flunked the glucose test, and looked for info online that would detail if other Paleo women had gone through this too. It makes sense though- anyone on a Paleo diet wouldn't normally consume a huge whack of carbs or glucose without fat or protein or fiber- and all three of those slow down glucose metabolism. I was higher than a kite after I downed that sugar-bomb drink!
  • COBCOB member
    I was able to do a fasting blood draw instead- no problem with my doc at all!
  • Robi1Robi1 member
    edited July 2014
    My birth center does an alternative test (instead of drinking some gross drink they just have you consume a certain amount of sugars/carbs from natural food - I did natural OJ and a banana) and I did fine. I'd suggest asking if you can do something like that, though they may have policies that you can't avoid depending on your care provider. That's one reason I preferred the more individualized model that came with the midwives and birth center. ETA: Didn't realize this was a super old thread. Oh well!
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"