1st Trimester
Options

Chances of Misdiagnosed Miscarriage?

I am 10w1d and I had my first OB appt today, only to receive the most heartbreaking news. The Dr couldn't see/hear a heartbeat.

The confusing part... They supposedly did hear a heartbeat with the doppler, and when I asked what it was they said "in the 130's". They went on to do an abdominal ultrasound, and couldn't see the baby at all, so they did a vaginal ultrasound. They were able to find the baby, but they couldn't see or hear a heartbeat. And baby was only measuring at 7w1d. I thought, that could be right because I wasn't 100% on my due date... but the Dr said they'd for sure be able to hear/see a heartbeat vaginally by now, even if I was only 7 weeks. So I questioned why we heard a heartbeat on the doppler then, and the Dr said it had to of been my own heartbeat that was picked up. But I thought 130 seems high for it to be my resting heartbeat. 

I don't want to get my hopes up that everything could be okay, because the Dr seems really convinced that we lost the baby, does anyone have any experience or advice?

Re: Chances of Misdiagnosed Miscarriage?

• Options
    I'd get a second opinion. Fingers crossed. But if they can hear a hb with Doppler they should definetly with an u/s. Hopefully it was just an incompetent doctor. Hugs.
  • Options
    CreativeD1CreativeD1 member
    edited July 2014
    Get a second opinion. Fx for you!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Finnaroo said:

Are they measuring your HCG levels to see if they're doubling every 48 hours?

NO. After about 6 weeks this is a shitty form of check because doubling times slow way down (they go over 4 days). It's a worthless test at 10 weeks for viability purposes. The doubling every 48 hours applies to HCG levels under 1200. Most women hit that by week 5, 6 at the latest.

OP- If you pick up your heartbeat on the doppler, it will come up faster than your actual heartbeat, and you aren't resting at that point, you are awake. 10 weeks is too early to be checking with a doppler in the first place, so it is quite likely that it was yours.

No heartbeat on a fetus measuring 7 weeks is not going to be a viable pregnancy, especially if you know for sure it was also measuring 3 weeks behind. If you feel you need a second opinion, absolutely get one. A loss is hard enough, you don't need to be questioning if a mistake was made as well. Get the second opinions you need and I'm very sorry you are going through this.

Agree with GM. I'm sorry you are going through this. Wishing you better news, but lots of hugs etc. if the miscarriage is confirmed.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    They did not order any labs to check HCG levels. In fact, they haven't checked them at all during my pregnancy. Dr seemed very certain that we have lost the baby, and I am preparing for the worst, just hoping for the best... It's really hard to know that I'm still carrying baby, but that I am most likely losing it. I am still having all the symptoms too, morning sickness, vomiting, fatigue.
  • Options
    I am sorry @tkelley416‌ , Your HCG levels will still be high even in a mmc, and could contribute to symptoms. Get a 2nd opinion if needed. I had a loss at 17 weeks, baby was measuring behind and no HB, and I had no indication by symptoms. I got a lot of support and comfort on TTCAL board. (((Hugs))) for you. 130 is high for a resting heart rate. Maybe they were reading it wrong... maybe you were nervous?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dmsmthdmsmth member
    AT 7 weeks you should see/head a hb on an u/s.  If you know for sure you were supposed to be 10 weeks and baby is 3 weeks behind, I would say your chances of it being viable are slim to none.

130 is about right for a 6.5 week fetus, but slow for a 8/9 weeker. 

I would have them request 1 more u/s in a week to confirm before going forward.  in a week if you don't see a h/b and baby has not grown you will know you lost the baby

((hugs)) I am sorry.  I had a missed m/c as well.  went in at 9weeks and baby measure 6.  The loss boards helped a ton
    m/c April '08
    DD#1 born June '09
    DD#2 born April '11
    TTC #3 as of July '14

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    I don't actually know for sure that I'm 10 weeks, they are just basing that off my last period, so it's possible that I'm not that far. But, since there was no heartbeat even measuring 7 weeks, they said that we've more than likely lost the baby. I have a follow up ultrasound scheduled for next Tuesday, I'm preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"