Baby Names
Options

I need your expertise...

When I was pregnant with DS, we were team green. Our girl name was Kyla.  I came across it on some Irish baby name websites. They basically said that it is the modern Anglicized version of Cadhla, which means "beautiful” or “a beauty that only poets can describe." I fell in love with the name and its meaning. 

Now that I am pregnant with baby #2, I am trying to find more info on Kyla before we commit to it again. The only info behindthename.com gives is that it’s the feminine form of Kyle. The reason I wanted to use it to begin with is that I thought it was an Irish name. Unfortunately, my DH won’t agree to the original Cadhla.

So what say you? Keep it because there is some info out there confirming the connection to Cadhla, or toss it because there’s not enough history behind the name? The last thing I want to do is give this kid a made up name with a made up meaning! 

Re: I need your expertise...

• Options
    Is Cadhla pronounced like Kyla?  If yes, then I think it's OK to use the Americanized spelling.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I grew up with a Kyla so to me it's always been a real name, even if it is the masculine form of Kyle. Still love the name

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! If we decide to keep it on our list, it'll be because we like the name, not because of any meaning it may or may not have.
  • Options
    iloveaciloveac member
    edited July 2014
    If it's a girl and you use Kyla then you will have a Kyle and Kyla. I would scratch it and pick new names. You would basically be picking the same name for both kids.
  • Options
    iloveac said:
    If it's a girl and you use Kyla then you will have a Kyle and Kyla. I would scratch it and pick new names. It's like you picks the same name for both kids
    Our DS isn't Kyle…I wouldn't do that! 
  • Options

According to babynamesofireland, it's pronounced KEEla

https://www.babynamesofireland.com/k-names

• Options
    Havana2014Havana2014 member
    edited July 2014
    I think Kyla is a nice name - but I wouldn't consider it to be Irish (the use of the K).

I've never met an Irish person called Cadhla so I think it's rare enough. I believe it's the from the Irish for the surname Kiely.

I'd pronounce it Ky-la

• Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    One of my best friends is Kyla, I love it, she is the only Kyla I've ever known, I'd never even heard that name before I met her. It's a beautiful name, you should totally go for it if it's a girl!!!

And it is pronounced Ky-la!! And is generally categorized under Gaelic on most sites I've been on so yes Irish/Scottish etc
  • Options
    I love Kyla a lot.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"