Toddlers: 24 Months+

DD cosleeps but I want to move her to her own bed

DD cosleeps and is 16 months old, but I want to move her to her own bed. I am pg and she tends to kick us while she is sleeping, so that is one of the reasons why I want to move her to her own bed. She cries and cries and does not give up, how can I make this transition easier?
Mom to Zi born 8.30.07 and Zo born 8.12.09 and Zaid born 5.07.11

Re: DD cosleeps but I want to move her to her own bed

• No-Cry Sleep Solution has a whole section on this. Dd is still in our bed, so I don't know how well it works, but we had good luck with the rest of ncss methods.

• DD cosleeps part of the night.  I rock and hold her and then put her in her crib.  It takes about 10 min.  Some nights more, some nights less.  When she wakes, sometime around 10-12, I bring her to bed with us.  Some nights I'd like to put her back but I'm just too tired.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS coslept and we loved it!!!  But, we knew that we would transition him at 12 months and he did just fine.  We would rock him for a few min. then lay him down drowsy and go back in every few min. to reassure when he would cry.  We would sometimes pick him up for a min. and tell him it was bedtime etc.  He realized that this was bedtime and that we go to sleep at this time every night.  After a few days he was going to bed on his own. 

I would highly recommed a routine.  You may already have one, but for us we do dinner, bath, quiet play and books then bed.  I think it helps DS to know that bedtime is coming when we start our winding-down.  

At almost 20 months, we still rock DS for about 5 min. then lay him down drowsy.  He goes to sleep on his own and we still get our bonding time with the rocking. I know a lot of people who do the full version of CIO where they don't go back in until the AM, but I am not strong enough for that :)  It still only took us a few days and I felt it was much more gentle and we were able to explain what we were doing and that bedtime means we go to sleep to get rested for the next day of play.  I know he was too young to fully understand that, but we used the same sort of technique to transition to his toddler bed and it worked very well too. GL :)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"