Preemies

Premature rupture of membrains...Help!

Hi ladies!

I am almost 23 weeks pregnant with twin boys and it has been a very rough last month, I have been on bed rest because at 19 weeks I developed Incompotent Cervix and had to get a cerclage.  I have now had 2 episodes of leaking fluid and went to the hospital, the first one was right after the cerclage, I had a positive amniosure test and a negative ferning test, fluid around both boys looked good, so they sent me home on continued bed rest.  3 weeks later I noticed watery fluid in my underwear when I woke up in the morning for a few days and fluidy discharge throughout the day, so I went to my doc.  Baby A's fluid had gone from a 4.6 to a 4.2 (which isn't huge, but I am still concerned) and once again I was given an amniosure and tested positive, but negative nitrozene test and ferning test.  They sent me home on bed rest and said they didn't feel it was a rupture of membrains. 

I am just s confused and scared. I feel like i am waiting for something awful to happen and there is nothing I can do. I really have no answers.  Any thoughts, ideas or similar experiences would be helpful.

Thank you!

Jenny

Re: Premature rupture of membrains...Help!

• Dont have any experience with leaking fluid, just wanted to say I am sorry. Stay in bed and take it easy. Try not to stress too much. I will keep you and your twins in my prayers. Keep cookin little ones!!! Were not ready to meet you yet!
  • I'm sorry you are going through this.  My docs have told me the swabs that change color are not very accurate.  There are many things like blood and sweat that can cause them to change.  The fact that you have a negative ferning test is great!  Their amniotic fluid levels change constantly too.  They are always drinking it and peeing so don't freak out if they differ from day to day.  I know it's hard not to, but try not to stress.  

When I was 24 weeks I started leaking fluid.  I would dripple even right after I peed so I figured something was up.  We went to OB triage where they confirmed my water had broken.  I had a positive nitrizine and positive ferning test.  I was put on hospital bedrest until delivery.  I received the steroids and a round of iv antibiotics and was told I would probably deliver by the end of the week.  During the time there my AFI was anywhere between 3 and 17.  Fast forward 5 weeks later.....still in the hospital....still very much pregnant.  They decided to do another speculum exam which came back negative.  Apparently my leak sealed.  I was able to go home on bedrest.  1 week later I started having that familiar leak again.  Went back to triage where they confirmed my water had broken again.  I was in the hospital for another month and then I was induced at 34 weeks.  The second time I never had any measurable amniotic fluid.  It was like that for a whole month. We now have a beautiful happy healthly baby girl who only spent 1 week in the NICU for iv antibiotics.   

Just take it easy and stay positive, I know bedrest sucks.  Keep those babies in there as long as you can and trust your doctors.  Remember that if something were to happen, it doesn't necessarily mean the end.  I ruptured twice and never went into active labor. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • sorry, i don't have any experience with leaking fluid but i have been on bed rest for a month and half due to signs of preterm labor.  I just wanted to say hang in there and try to think positively.  I know thats sooooo much easier said than done, but I find on the days that I feel like I am waiting for something to go wrong, everything seems worse and I end up completely depressing myself about life in general.  I find it helps when I just try to accept that I am doing everything I can be doing for my little girl.

Good luck - you and your twins will be in my thoughts.  I also wanted to let you know that we've started a "bedrest nesties check-in" on the third tri board so we can try to help each other with ideas and commiserate when needed!  Its just on there cause thats where most of us are, don't worry about not actually being in third tri yet - come add your name!

• I am sorry that you are going through this.  My experience is that I completely ruptured baby A's sac when I was exactly 22 weeks.  I was put on hospital bedrest and wasn't alowed up at all.  I was in active labor at the time I ruptured and staied in labor for 24 hours before it stopped.  The doctors were just trying to buy time so the babies had a chance to survive.  I was given steroid shots at just before 24 weeks and I went back into labor and delivered at 25w 5d.  They were 1lb 13oz each and are now healthy 14 month olds.  I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a ticking time bomb.  I felt like I was on egg shells.  The only thing I can saw I would do if I were you is really stick to your bedrest.  You still have fluid in there and the more you stay down the more the fluid will stay in.  If that makes sense.  I was a complete rupture so I wasn't able to collect more fluid, but that was the goal.  Please feel free to ask any more questions.  I can clearly remember being scared out of my mind!
  • I had premature rupture of membranes at 21.5wks on baby A.  Mine wasn't a slow leak, it was a big gush.  I remained on total and complete bed rest (my feet didn't hit the floor once) for 6 weeks until labor couldn't be held off any longer.  We have no idea what caused the early rupture.  In hind sight I think I may have actually been leaking a little the day before the big gush.

I don't mean to scare you, but are sure about that fluid level being in the 4's?  That seems really low.  After my rupture, that's what Nathan's fluid level was for the remaining 6 weeks.  The doctors continuiously told me that was the lowest level possible for Nathan to survive.  They preferred to see a amniotic fluid level of 5 or higher.  Aubrey's was always around 10-12.  Fluid levels do go up and down since the fluid is regulated by the baby - they drink it in and pee it out.   After my twins were born, Nathan only lived for 8 days.  Since he had such a low amniotic fluid level, his lungs never properly developed - even with the 2 rounds of steriod shots I recieved.  I really hope that you're doctor is measuring the fluid amount differently or something, because in my experience, that is a very low number.

There is another Nestie ("nbjenni") who had a rupture of membranes caused by getting a cerclage.  Her's was only a small leak and actually healed itself over time.  She still had to be on bed rest and take it easy until her twins were born.  I believe she went almost full term.

Please follow your gut feeling if you think something is wrong.  I wish I had been more adimit about a few things during my pregnancy.  I know that whatever happened was probably bound to happen anyway, but I now I still am plagued by the "what ifs".  You're the mom, it's your body.  If you have to pin a doctor in a corner to get them to listen, then do so.

Good luck hon.  You and your babies are in my prayers.

• Kayteel206,

Wow!

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing this with me. Your little girl is beautiful.  Can you explain what it was like when you were leaking fluid both times? For how long, how much, what color/consistency?

Can you think of anything else I can or should be doing?

• pmkmp,

I am calling my ob right now to check on the numbers.  I think 4.2 cubic centemeters for the index, not volume.  I am calling to find out volume now and will update.

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

• massarn,

Thank you for sharing your story. What amazing little fighters you have and it is so good to hear that they are happy and healthy!

• Did they do a fetal fibronectin test (FFN)? I had negative ferning on the slide but positive FFN that indicated my rupture.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mrs. Manners,

At what point in your pregnancy did you rupture? How long were you able to stay pregnant before you delivered? Did you have a slow leak or a complete rupture?

They haven't done a FFN yet, but I will have one on Tuesday.  If it is positive what will that mean since I will only be 23 wks 4 days by then?

• A FFN indicates that it's likely you will deliver within the next two weeks. My rupture happened at 31 w 3 d and I made it to 33 w 2 d. I had a slow leak and was put on bedrest in the hospital. A negative FFN means that there's a low chance of you delivering within the next two weeks. If this one is negative, then they may want to do another one on you every two weeks or so. I made it almost exactly two weeks before my water broke completely and strong labor was instant. I had ultrasounds every 3 days or so to evaluate my fluid levels and make sure they weren't getting too low. I was also having contractions at the time my membranes ruptured. Bedrest really helped with both the contractions and slowing the leak. I also drank tons of fluid hoping to help replace some of what my body was losing. I was allowed to get up to go to the bathroom and to shower once per day. The swab test was positive for me but they don't put very much stock in those because anything (like the ky jelly they lube you with when they do a dilation check can cause it to turn positive). They were shocked when my FFN came back positive because my ferning test didn't look positive even though I kept telling them I was leaking. I wish you the very best of luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You need to talk to nbjenni about her experience...she (like you and I) had an IC and a rescue cerclage), but one of her girls membranes was leaking/ruptured and it actually ended up healing itself and she held those girls in until 37 weeks...she's amazing.

As for everything else, I firmly believe in the power of PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)...if you think bad things are going to happen they will, so do your best ( I know it's hard) to relax and not worry...take each day one at a time.

GL.

• hi jenny-

no personal experience to share. ?just wanted to let you know that you're in my prayers. ?sit tight...every day counts. ?my nicu has 2 current 23 weekers who are doing well. but with hope, faith, prayers and bedrest you'll cook for much longer. ?please stay pregnant and please keep us updated. i'm so sorry that you're going through this.?

-april?

• Hi ...

My membranes ruptured at 30 weeks 5 days and I delivered at 31 weeks 0 days.  The day they ruptured I went to the dr. at 3 PM because I'd had a clear watery discharge down both legs in the morning.  All three tests came back clear.  3 hours later I woke up from a nap soaking wet.  There was fluid everywhere and this was confirmed by all three tests at the ER. 

But, I think the reasons for and outcomes from PPROM are different for twins than for singletons.  Also, the earlier you are when you're membranes rupture, the more likely you are to continue the pregnancy.

Good luck. I hope you can keep both twins in for a long time to come!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"