Baby Names

to the detestable name post....

so what names are ok?  According to that all names are pet names, and no name in the history of naming can be used......

uh....explaination.....

Re: to the detestable name post....

• Hey don't pick on them, some people need the reassurance of internet strangers to make them feel better about naming their kid. I for one would L-O-V-E to have everyone who I don't know name my child.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would like to know how some people can have a baby naming opinion never having done it or preparing to do it.

you can get a list of names you like together all day long and when the time comes, none of them are "good enough" when it comes to your child.

Oh, and fyi, unless you are naming your kid FIDO, those names listed were not pet names. tia!

• Loading the player...
  • I'll take a walk on over to my grandmother's grave and let her know that some internet strangers think naming my child after her is detestable.
  • Hey, continue to hate the name Grayson. I would hate it if suddenly there were a billion Graysons running around, ala Jack, Jackson, Madison, and Emma.

WE love the name and that's all that matters.

• Why are all 49 people not defending their choices?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OOh I love Grayson, I didn't see that on the detestable list....

we had it picked for a girl....yes our girl list was LOOONNGG!  We were going to spell it Gracen....oh call the name police....we were spelling it unique.

• I posted on that thread, I posted the names I hate, most of them normal and common. And one of which happens to be the middle name my parents chose for me.

We all have our opinions on what's great and what stinks. And I think for people to get all upity, mean, or overly condescending about what names someone likes or doesn't is just ridiculous.

There is ALWAYS going to be someone with an adverse opinion about what name you choose for your child. If you're posting here and asking for random strangers opinions, be prepared to get flack from idiots with nothing better to do than make snide comments. So what? Ignore them. You're the only one that really matters. How a name sounds, looks, feels, and what it means to YOU and your SO are the things that are important.

• we, uh...we have a "be nicer"
  • no matter what you name your kid- someone will not like it... which is why we don't share the name of our children until they are born... b/c only  a true a-hole would say "congrats on your adorable baby- but i hate his name".

My son's first and middle name was included in the "detest" post- i find it humorous actually.

Griffin Ellison... he gets the shoot down b/c he's got a sir name as a first name (which someone apparently thinks is something to name a dog? I don't quite get that re: Emmerson... it's a sir name - not a dog's name)....

and b/c we do the "all G" thing in our family - both DH and I are G's so we went with it- knowing it's totally dorky - and we love it :)

BTW- Grayson is on the list for possible name for one of the twins... though i'm worried it's getting too popular myself - but other than that- I love it! :)

• imagejustgnat:

I posted on that thread, I posted the names I hate, most of them normal and common. And one of which happens to be the middle name my parents chose for me.

We all have our opinions on what's great and what stinks. And I think for people to get all upity, mean, or overly condescending about what names someone likes or doesn't is just ridiculous.

There is ALWAYS going to be someone with an adverse opinion about what name you choose for your child. If you're posting here and asking for random strangers opinions, be prepared to get flack from idiots with nothing better to do than make snide comments. So what? Ignore them. You're the only one that really matters. How a name sounds, looks, feels, and what it means to YOU and your SO are the things that are important.

I like Harlot....

• imagehtomeo:
    Hey don't pick on them, some people need the reassurance of internet strangers to make them feel better about naming their kid. I for one would L-O-V-E to have everyone who I don't know name my child.

whatcha talking about Willis?

bwahaha thanks, I needed a laugh tonight.

• imagerease.:

I would like to know how some people can have a baby naming opinion never having done it or preparing to do it.

Indifferent

• imagejustgnat:

If you're posting here and asking for random strangers opinions, be prepared to get flack from idiots with nothing better to do than make snide comments. 

I find this particularly hilarious, considering we are not the ones seeking name "approval" from myriad internet strangers.

• imagehtomeo:
    Why are all 49 people not defending their choices?

Reading comprehension fail.

• I'm quite positive that there are plenty of names not included on the detestable list, including those DH and I like. However, I'm sure if I listed them, someone would hate them, and that's their right. I was asked what names I hate, and I listed the one name I'm sick and effing tired of hearing. But would I call you a shiity person if you named your kid that? No. I'd just cringe when I heard the name. Not a big deal.?

The pet name thing, I found that pretty ridiculous. I could see that if you wanted to name your kid Fluffy, but not some of what people consider "pet" names.?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemm1569:
    imagerease.:

I would like to know how some people can have a baby naming opinion never having done it or preparing to do it.

Indifferent

?

Bwhahhaahaahahaa!......hhahahhahhahahahhahaaa! ?

• imagefoundmylazybum:
    imagemm1569:
    imagerease.:

Indifferent

Bwhahhaahaahahaa!......hhahahhahhahahahhahaaa!  

What they said. 

Do you have to be physically pregnant to prepare to name your yet unborn child?   Well aren't you fancy pants? You guys are stupid.   So people don't like your name choice - get the hell over it.  You're happy with it, that's all that matters.  Don't post asking opinions if you don't want to hear them. 

By the way, it's SURNAME...not sir name.  

Love.
  • I really like surnames as FN.  But, I'm from the South and that's how we roll. :)
  • I've never understood why anyone needs validation from an internet chat board for the names they've chosen for their kids.  If you are so insecure with your name choice that you need to ask for opinions from total strangers, perhaps you ought to reconsider whether you actually like the name(s) you have chosen. 

• imageis_it_over_yet?:

I've never understood why anyone needs validation from an internet chat board for the names they've chosen for their kids.  If you are so insecure with your name choice that you need to ask for opinions from total strangers, perhaps you ought to reconsider whether you actually like the name(s) you have chosen. 

I, personally, am not asking for validation, but it's nice to bounce names off on random people so that you can get honest feedback. Not everyone in your personal life will give you such honest feedback and I don't really know many teachers, so it's really funny to read the teachers' thoughts and experiences with certain names.

But I am one of those who loves the more classic names. I mean, the most off the wall name I love is "Reese" so perhaps this skews the opinions I get from you all.

• LOL, I wonder what are considered acceptable names around here.  Everything is either "too trendy, too common or too old-fashioned".  I'm sure most of us on this board have trendy, common or old fashioned names and we turned out ok I"m assuming.

My bff gave me a great piece of advice.  Never share your plans for your baby's name before it's born: 1/3 of the people will love it, 1/3 of the people will hate it, and the other 1/3 will say "I just named my dog that!"

• As a teacher, I get every name that you can imagine. I like how parents want to make their child's name unique (hello, my own dd is Harleigh~not Harley). Some people argue, oh they will have to spell it or pronounce it their whole life. And your points is? I have to spell my name all the time~my name is DAWN.

• imagemsatude:

As a teacher, I get every name that you can imagine. I like how parents want to make their child's name unique (hello, my own dd is Harleigh~not Harley). Some people argue, oh they will have to spell it or pronounce it their whole life. And your points is? I have to spell my name all the time~my name is DAWN.

LOL! I grew up with a weird last name that I had to correct people on constantly, not quite the same I know but work with me for a second.  Now I'm married and I have one of the easiest names there is for a last name and I miss my maiden name.  I always thought it would be so much better to have an easy name that I never have to correct people on, but it's boring as hell.  And at least with a name you have to correct people on, it breaks the ice.  And you don't have to think of some random crap to  talk about when you meet someone new.

• imageNikiT:

My bff gave me a great piece of advice.? Never share your plans for your baby's name before it's born: 1/3 of the people will love it, 1/3 of the people will hate it, and the other 1/3 will say "I just named my dog that!"

This is actually great advice--coming from someone "with a dog's name.." (Who someday--far in the future..not planning on it..but still likes names...oh and works with children so yeah--she's basically raising YOUR kids..)

Wants to name her own child--"a dog's name" :) ?

• Here's my 2 cents: I can't stand when people say, "the only thing that matters is if you like the name!" Umm no, what about thinking about your child and the fact that they have to apply to college and jobs with that name?  I'm not talking about the current trendy names (Caden, Brayden, etc) but the ones that  1) only sound cute for a 5 yr old girl or boy or 2) just shouldn't be classified as a first name at all. I have seen a few on here recently where I just shake my head and try to be polite or say nothing at all. It just seems that people are only thinking about themselves and not about what their children will grow up with (or think that they will be unique yet don't realize the name is not only unique but weird).

Oh- children will always find a reason to make fun of a name, but for goodness sakes some parents basically give the bullies ammunition with the names they give their kids. I love the name Jack but hubby and I can just see the "jack ass" and "jack off" that he would get in school, and it's way too popular now.

• I tried to edit- didn't post.

I try to be polite but had a brutally honest response to a post below. I just had to share what was actually going through my mind!

• :oD  I love that the first part of the post is a bunch of people with their panties in a wad.

What would you like, a bunch of people blowing smoke up your ass... or a bunch of people telling you that your child is doomed for a lifetime of humiliation?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"