High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone with a Unicornuate Uterus?

Hi all,

I wanted to introduce myself and provide a little background. We have been TTC for 6 years. I was diagnosed with a UU 5 years ago. We have done 5 IUIs, I cancelled IVF cycle, had 2 miscarriages and just finished a successful IVF cycle. I am currently 5 weeks, and of course freaked out daily. Lol!

I was wondering if anyone has a unicornuate uterus or similar uterine malformation and can offer any advice in what to look out for in the next 9 months. I am also wondering when you started showing, and am curious if it was sooner than normal.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Re: Anyone with a Unicornuate Uterus?

• hi there :) i am also a UUer. i can't give any advice on how to feel less freaked out because i was constantly freaked, but if possible, try to relax and just ride the wave.

for me, pregnancy was typical but at 29 wks the day (5.8.14) my son was born. basically, my doctors feel my uterus maxed capacity at 29wks which brought on labor and the breaking of my water. my story is not a foreshadowing for all UUers but pre-term is a typical UU issue.

what to look out for now that you are pregnant- an incompetent cervix/pre-term labor/IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) and c-section due to breech position.  UU babies close to term tend to not have enough space to turn head down so a c-section is needed.  my son was head down, so I had a vaginal delivery.  thank god for that!  one less trauma to go through.

ask your doc about extra cervical monitoring- 2x per month, progesterone shots, potential steriod injections, modified bed rest or reduced activity in the 2nd and 3rd trimester and lastly, ask about sexual activity.  sometimes if women are at risk for IC, they advise against sex/orgasms.

in terms of showing, i was a size 14 prior to pregnancy so i didn't show until 22wks. my friend who also has a UU is a very petite woman and she started to show early.  everyone is different and it all depends on your body type and how you carry.

feel free to ask questions :)
  • takmjstakmjs member
    Hi,
    I have a bicornuate uterus and had a 30-week daughter the first time around. I'm now over 19 weeks, have a cerclage (cervical stitch) in, and get progesterone shots weekly to help keep the uterus calm and preterm labor away. I have a complete split to my BU, so it's basically like I have 2 half-uteruses. Baby's been in my left horn both times, which doctor said was good, b/c it's already been stretched once (although in my opinion not very far, b/c it only got to 30 weeks).

The PP was right about preterm labor being an issue for people with uterine anomalies, so if you haven't already, get an appointment/consultation with a MFM doctor. That's a maternal-fetal-medicine/perinatologist doctor who specializes in high-risk pregnancies. I was referred to one at 16 weeks in my first pregnancy, and it was so nice to go to someone who had patients like me before and could tell me what to expect. I was one who was unlike most BU's though, and I had every possible higher-risk factor happen to me, even though the risks (like preterm labor, breech babies, incompetent cevix,etc.) are only 2-5% higher for us than normal pregnancies. I would also think IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) is an issue for a UU, but maybe not if you have a normal size uterus? I also got, and will get this pregnancy, growth scans every month from 5-9 months to make sure baby is on track in terms of growth, b/c my daughter was watched for that and had a slight case of IUGR. If baby's not growing, in severe cases, the doctors may feel like baby could grow better outside mom than inside.

In terms of showing, I'm tall (5'9") and skinny. I left work (I'm a teacher) at 24 weeks when I was put on bed rest, and none of my students knew I was pregnant, although I was showing a little bit. I have a long torso for baby to grow, so I think that and it being my first pregnancy, is why I didn't show much at all. I think even by 30 weeks when I delivered, I probably wouldn't have gotten questioned if I was pregnant if I got to go out in public. This time, I think I'm about 8-10 weeks ahead in terms of showing from last time. I got the comment from my parents the other day that I'm already bigger than I got last time at the end. I'm soooo looking forward and hoping that I get really big and uncomfortable. I hope that's in your future, too! Best of luck to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • dtagaidtagai member
    I have a UU and preg with baby #3. We didn't know with baby #1- bedrest and procardia due to preterm labor at 32 wks. Baby #1 born at almost 39 weeks. Baby#2 preventative bedrest beginning at 32 weeks, contractions started and procardia but not officially preterm labor- baby #2 was born at 41 weeks after induction. Uterus seems to have stretched.
  • I have a didelphic uterus, so my situation is a bit different than yours, but also somewhat similar. Instead of 1 uterus, I have 2 small ones and each has it's own cervix (just like unicornuate), and then everything from the cervix down is "normal". 
    I have 1 son who is almost 8, and had a completely normal pregnancy and delivery with him. No cerclage (though we thought I might need it), and honestly started showing around 5 months. 
    I wish you well! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"