Breastfeeding

How to cut out a pump ...

So currently I pump 3 times a day.  I want to cut down to 2.  My thought is, I can pump once in the morning at like, 7:30/8:00 if I'm not ready to explode (and usually, at this point, I'm not), and then again that night at the same time, under the same non-explosive conditions.  I tried it today, and am about to go and pump now ... I feel full, a little sore, like if I continue this, I might end up with a clog, and I also feel a little tingly.  So I'm wondering if there's a better way to skip that afternoon pump?  TIA for any advice!

Happy New Year everyone!!! = )

Re: How to cut out a pump ...

• I'm an EPer but I'm still at 4 pumps per day and looking forward to getting to 3 sometime over the next couple of months. ?I'm super suceptible to clogs and whenever I've dropped a pump, I've just extended time between my pumps over the course of 3-4 days until I end up at my goal. ?I imagine it will be harder to do this though when going from 3 to 2 pumps/day. I know the other alternative is to just pump less and less time at the pump that you are planning to drop. ?That method just doesn't work for me though b/c if I leave any milk behind, I usually get a clog and then sometimes also mastitis. ?GL to you and I'd appreciate you sharing what works out for you!
    Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am an EPer too, and in fact, I should have stated that in my OP!  But anyways, you're right, cutting out other pumps has been a cinch but it this one that's hard, because if I cut it out, then I'm only pumping once in the morning and once at night ... that's a huge stretch.  Well, yesterday I was able to make it 8-8 but today, I was very full at 7, and there was NO WAY I ever would have made it to 8 tonight.  I pumped at 5:30 since that is when I arrived back home from an afternoon at my mother's, and already I was dying for "udder" relief!!  =)  So ... not sure yet what I am going to do.  I'm probably going to have to continue w/ the pump I want to cut out but gradually decrease the time.  Sigh.  I don't know.  But once I figure it out, I will definitely let you know how it went!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't remember who it was, but another EPer said they alternate each day.  So 3 pumps one day, then 2 the next.  Maybe if you go back and forth for a little bit, your body will figure it out.  I'm still at 5 pumps so I don't have any other advice for cutting to 2.  But let us know how it goes, I am SO looking forward to the day that I can drop to 2!  Way to go!
    Wife to Drew since 08.18.2007 Mom to Andrew since 10.18.2008 Runner, baker, reader, eater
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"