Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Stupid ?: Finger foods vs Table foods

After introduction of finger foods and table foods and the baby is completely on table foods (no baby food), doesn't mean you stop feeding your baby and they do it all themselves, right?

When should you aim to have your child on table foods and off of purees?  Generally age range.

When does a child generally totally feed themselves?  Age range?

Re: Stupid ?: Finger foods vs Table foods

• Options
    waiting to see answers and your little one is adorable
  • Options
    I still do both.  Is that bad??
    BabyFetus Ticker Blessed with a girl and boy, number 3 due 5/5/12!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if there is really a goal to shoot for. We just followed their cues. We did purees until they preferred their fruits and veggies in small pieces instead. They still have purees sometimes, though, if it is something like yogurt mixed with fruit, but it's rarer now. They started feeding themselves about 10 mo and moved to entirely feeding themselves around 11 mo, although we sit there and help them out a bit as well when they drop food, etc.
  • Options

imagecarolinaem:
    I still do both.  Is that bad??

I don't think so.  I'm just confused do table foods become the finger foods and then you just let them feed themselves?

mm- thank you!

• Options

My niece is 16 months and on all table and finger food, but there are still certain foods that she is fed with a spoon or fork rather than feeding herself.

Some parents have their children on all table food as early as 9 months...others have their children on purees until 15-18 months.  It really boils down to preference and what the child is ready for.  I know that I will still be giving DS oatmeal, yogurt, and some purees here and there past one year.

• Options
    To answer your 2nd question, yes table foods become finger foods and then they feed themselves. ?Now when that actually happens totally depends on your kid. ?Mine was happy to eat table foods around 9 months and would self feed dry things, bread, cheerios ect, then he totally revolted around 11 months and wouldn't eat anything but purees. ?He's 13 months now and still won't put anything wet in his mouth eventhough he'll eat it. ? ?We also are back to doing a lot of purees. ?His pedi says he'll grow out of it and it's good not to force it so we just go with the flow. ?How I would love to just cut up some food and put it on his tray and have him go to town though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"