March 2014 Moms
Options

Guilt trip at the doctor's office :-(

I took LO to the Dr today due to a cold he has had for 3 weeks I was afraid was becoming a sinus infection and a rash on his face that I initially thought was due to drool and nasal drainage but was getting worse and I was afraid of ringworm or some other condition.

The good - it's just a cold still, no concerns there. The rash is eczema, got a steroid cream for acute outbreaks and the rest should be manageable with lotioning well after baths. (Side question, what lotion do you use for LO's body? Face?)

The bad - I received a Huge guilt trip for supplementing formula with my breast milk since I've gone back to work :-( She actually said "Yes. Well if you would just nurse more and take more vitamins and drink more water and try harder than you would produce more. You know the same breast that can feed the one baby can feed 2 or 3" and gave me info for a lactation consultant. I don't know why I kept my mouth shut and didn't go off on her; instead I've felt guilty all morning that I'm not pumping enough for him to be exclusively feed on breast milk while I'm at work.
Fortunately, this wasn't his regular pedi, just the one that happened to be on for Saturday hours.

Booo to overly opinionated guilt tripping doctors! Jake is 16wks today and weighed 15lb12oz - I only introduced formula 2 weeks ago, so I'm good with exclusively breastfeeding that long. So there!

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Guilt trip at the doctor's office :-(

• Options
    Wow. I would complain about this pedi. You are doing a great job and ignore what she said. Sorry she made you feel guilty!
  • Options
    If that was my regular pedi I would switch. Since it's not, I would complain. You are feeding your baby, end of story. What a twat.

My pedi reminds me often that less stressed mom means happier baby, So if nursing / pumping is a source of stress, don't feel bad about formula.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First, I'm sorry you have a shitty pedi.

Second, find a new pedi.

Seriously. What a terrible thing to say to anyone, let alone someone who obviously can't nurse 24/7. What a bitch.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    What an asshole.
  • Options
    What she said is completely unacceptable and rude. You're doing what's right for you and your baby and that's what matters. Please stop feeling guilty! Also, I use Aveeno baby lotion and have had no issues. It's fragrance free
    TTC since December 2011
    Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
    DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
    December IUI cancelled due to cyst
    IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
    Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

• Options
    Your better than me! I would have gave that B my two sense. Sorry that happened to you! Tell your regular Pedi!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Sorry you had to deal with that. I can't believe that a dr would be that way. Definitely complain!!
  • Options
    Inappropriate. In so many ways. I'd complain to your regular pedi. It's not her place to force her views of infant feeding on you. You are feeding your baby! You rock!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As others have said that pedi is an assface. Plus she is wrong that the breast that can feed one baby can feed 2-3. You are doing great and she can kick rocks.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That is some serious bullshit.  For REAL.  It's all been said here already, but please don't give her unkind, disrespectful and out of line comments another thought.  You rocked it out for your LO for three months and now this is what's best for you both.  Done and done.  She sounds like a real bag of dicks.

Wow, I am really mad for you!!!
  • Options
    A women at my son's daycare passed judgment on me for the same thing. I wanted to leap across the room ... she doesn't even have a child. "Bitch do you know how hard it is" - oh wait you don't! I would have complained but didn't want my son to get the short end of the stick. Just found out she's leaving the center effective Aug 1st. GOOD BYE! I'm glad too because the center is at my job and rocks, so switching really wasn't in the cards for us. Glad you're feeling better!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @jennbaylor12
    LO also has eczema. We apply baby Aquaphor 4 or 5 times daily (ointment and creams are better than lotions for eczema). We use dove fragrence free soap for baths. These products were recommended by our pedi and we really like them. Make sure you apply the Aquaphor within 3 minutes of finishing a bath (locks in moisture).
  • Options
    I would get a new doctor. 
    The point of a physician is to guide you with your health decisions, and when faces with difficulties help you remain a sane parent. 
    If she offered "I have some ways to boost supply if you're worried" that's cool. However, the way she commented on the supplementing was very unprofessional and downright rude.

We get enough crap doing anything formula related with all the new bfeeding push, and in reality we need to encourage sanity. Sane mommy = happy baby.
  • Options
    fish8412 said:

@jennbaylor12
    LO also has eczema. We apply baby Aquaphor 4 or 5 times daily (ointment and creams are better than lotions for eczema). We use dove fragrence free soap for baths. These products were recommended by our pedi and we really like them. Make sure you apply the Aquaphor within 3 minutes of finishing a bath (locks in moisture).

I also love Aquaphor for eczema flare ups on my son's face and apply it after every bath. If the rash looks particularly red/irritated, putting on a little bit of otc hydrocortisone cream reduces the irritation in just a matter of hours. Someone told me not to use it too often though - something about how it can thin out the skin if overused.
  • Options
    That sounds crazy!
    I know the feeling though. I have been feeling guilty about starting to supplement. I have not been getting enough while pumping at work. My job is a little stressful and I tend to work long hours in the fall. My plan was to start to stop then but it looks like my body wants to start sooner. My freezer stash went fast since I was lucky if I broke even every day. I agree EBF for 4 months made me proud of myself
  • Options
    Honestly, I would complain about that pedi. Not only is she a royal bitch, but she's a royal bitch with bad science/information. That shouldn't be allowed.
  • Options
    That doc sounds like a grade A cunt. I don't throw that word around often, but she sucks. Don't let her get you down or make you feel guilty. You do what's best for you and your baby.
    HAHA  --- I've found myself using that word MORE now that I've become a mother!  Its the only way to describe these women who think they can make me/us feel guilty or like bad moms...
  • Options
    RUDE. I would have gone off on that bitch. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    What a jerk.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Coconut oil <3 best and healthiest lotion for baby and for yourself as well ! Can be used for sooo many things as well
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"