Baby Showers

Rock n Play Question and Target Registry

This isn't really a baby shower question, but this is a pretty active board it's on a related topic, so I figured I'd ask here. I'm not having a shower, of course, as a second time mama.

(1) I'd like to register at Target for myself only, really, to get the completion discount... I guess I could tell my mom for if anyone asks (is that still not appropriate?), but I really don't need much for baby #2, anyway, and I can just buy those things myself. Anyway, do you know if you can use it on diapers and wipes and cleaning supplies and such if they are on the registry? I'd love to stock up. I have a few bigger baby items to buy, but it'll mostly be necessities... Diapers, bath stuff, formula if breastfeeding doesn't go well, wipes, etc. But it adds up! Does anyone know WHEN they send you the coupon (before or after due date?) and what the rules and benefits are?

(2) I was thinking about getting the rock and play because everyone seems to swear by it... Target has a bunch of different things that come up when I search rock and play, though! What are the differences and what is the one everyone swears by? Also, if I find it at the consignment store used--saw it for $30 actually--is that an item that you'd recommend just buying new? ALSO, those of you who swear by it, did you use it for at night, daytime naps, travel, or what? We used a bassinet at night but maybe the rock and play would be better?

Thanks in advance for your help! Happy shower planning, everyone!

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...

Re: Rock n Play Question and Target Registry

• I got my Target completion coupon about 4w before my due date. Since you're doing it for yourself you can always just put in a sooner date. The coupon could be used once in store and once online for anything on your registry. I don't remember there being any restrictions, but that was a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure it was 10% off.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • uksteph11 said:
    I know a lot of moms swear by the rock and play, but you might want to do some research before purchasing/using one.  Rock and plays do not meet the standards established by the AAP for safe sleep. Infants lack the necessary muscle tone and strength in their upper body to sustain even a semi-reclined position without the risk of slumping downward. This position also makes it more likely that their neck will flop forward and potentially cause an obstructed airway.  Besides this serious risk, you also increase the chances of your baby developing torticollis (a muscle tightness on one side of the neck) or plagiocephaly (flattening of one side of the head) if they are sleeping in a semi-reclined position.

Thank you. This is quite helpful. Is this the same for napping in car seats or bouncy chairs, too? Swings? That would really mean they can't nap in anything but flat crib, pack and play, etc? In that true? Eek! I do need to do some research... Is this just the first few weeks or longer?

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • uksteph11uksteph11 member
    edited July 2014
    The AAP recommends that infants always sleep in a crib on a firm mattress free of blankets or other soft things such as a bumper or stuffed animals.  Personally, I think that once your infant has developed head control, it would be ok for them to nap in a rock and play bassinet (the one that lays flat, not the ones that are reclined) as long as an adult was in the room and keeping an eye on them.  As far as the torticollis and plagiocephaly go, it is never a good idea to let your infant sleep in devices for long periods of time.  I work as a pediatric PT in one of the nation's top 3 pediatric hospitals.  The physicians there are very much against all positioning devices for napping/sleeping.  They recommend no longer than 30 minutes per day.  That being said, I am sure there are plenty of moms on here who will tell you they did it all of the time and never had any problems.  I'm sure that is true, but for me, it isn't worth the risk. 
  • SoxFan777 said:

uksteph11 said:

I know a lot of moms swear by the rock and play, but you might want to do some research before purchasing/using one.  Rock and plays do not meet the standards established by the AAP for safe sleep. Infants lack the necessary muscle tone and strength in their upper body to sustain even a semi-reclined position without the risk of slumping downward. This position also makes it more likely that their neck will flop forward and potentially cause an obstructed airway.  Besides this serious risk, you also increase the chances of your baby developing torticollis (a muscle tightness on one side of the neck) or plagiocephaly (flattening of one side of the head) if they are sleeping in a semi-reclined position.

Thank you. This is quite helpful. Is this the same for napping in car seats or bouncy chairs, too? Swings? That would really mean they can't nap in anything but flat crib, pack and play, etc? In that true? Eek! I do need to do some research... Is this just the first few weeks or longer?

The recommendation is to have them sleeping flat on their back (crib, pack n play, etc.). Swing and car seats fall into the same category as a RnP and generally aren't recommended for sleeping (though, a car seat in the car is okay because the base puts it at the right angle). That being said, many moms accept the risks since many babies really prefer not sleeping flat on their backs... It's definitely a personal choice.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• As far as I know, you can use the completion coupon on anything in the store (other than gift cards) as long as it appears on your registry. When we went to Target to use ours, I added things to my registry using my smartphone so we'd get the discount. I didn't use the RNP for DD so I have no idea. DD LOVED her swing and used to nap in there all the time, I'm really hoping the new baby will also love the swing but every kid is different!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"