September 2012 Moms

Crafty bakers -- fondant

melody921melody921 member
edited June 2014 in September 2012 Moms
Has anyone made marshmallow fondant? Is it easier/harder to work with than the sheets I could buy at a craft store? Does it taste any different?

edited: spelling

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crafty bakers -- fondant

• I hate fondant, but have heard that making it yourself is a little more forgiving because you can control the texture.  A friend of mine is a professional baker and uses a mix of both, depending on the amount of colors she uses.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I have mixed feelings about it. It tastes better IMO than regular fondant. But I don't feel like it's as easy to work with. It might be the recipe I used but it was extremely sticky and didn't roll out as well.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • damabo80damabo80 member
    edited July 2014

I couldn't bring myself to use store bought fondant to cover a cake with. I use it for accent decorating (mixed with gumpaste). Here's a marshmallow fondant cake I made. It was easy enough to make.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• damabo80 said:

I couldn't bring myself to use store bought fondant to cover a cake with. I use it for accent decorating (mixed with gumpaste). Here's a marshmallow fondant cake I made. It was easy enough to make.

Gumpaste is another thing: how is that to work with? Your cake looks great!

• damabo80 said:

someday I want to be able to make beautiful cakes like that!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Thanks! I took a three month long cake decorating course at Michaels. It was lots of fun and I learned lots.

Gumpaste (like fondant) just has to be kept moist. So you need to keep a damp towel over it while you're working with it. That's the hardest part: not letting it dry out. Other than that, It's like playing with playdough. Fondant is tough because you have to roll/drape over the cake. The draping part is hard. Even when I think I'm doing it perfectly, I still find a small crack.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• McKee09 said:
    I have mixed feelings about it. It tastes better IMO than regular fondant. But I don't feel like it's as easy to work with. It might be the recipe I used but it was extremely sticky and didn't roll out as well.
    This is my opinion as well. Slightly stickier but tastes much better.

• damabo80 said:

Uhhmm this is amazing.

I have never used any fondant....no input. 

:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"