December 2014 Moms

Frustrating Day Update in OP

Jessie333Jessie333 member
edited July 2014 in December 2014 Moms
I finished a 10 day treatment of antibiotics for a uti on Thursday last week. Well, today I was diagnosed with another uti... I couldn't get in to see my regular dr, so I saw another one at the same practice. He prescribed medication and I went to fill it at the pharmacy. Well apparently he prescribed 2 different antibiotics and didn't tell me or give me any directions (and honestly I only saw the one when I looked at the prescription). Both the pharmacist and I tried to call the Dr to find out what he was wanting me to do and he didn't call back either of us. I'm frustrated that the Dr didn't call and that I have another uti. I hate having to take medications while pregnant, especially right in a row. I've never had UTI's before and now I've had 2 back to back.

The pharmacist said the two are essentially the same thing, so she doesn't know why he prescribed both.

For those of you that have had UTI's, what can I do to help/prevent them? I already drink a ton of water.

UPDATE: I called right when the Dr opened at 8 am this morning to find out what I was supposed to do with the antibiotics. Well the receptionist said that no nurses or doctors were there and that I would need to call back at 11. I call back and the receptionist I spoke to talked to the Dr and the second antibiotic prescribed was a mistake. So I bought the second one for nothing... Sigh.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Frustrating Day Update in OP

• Cranberry juice or you can take it in pill form :)

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • You could have just said uti and you would have had my sympathy.. But two in a row while pregnant, that's rough!
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel ya. I'm on my second one, too. First, I took Macrabid (sp?) and this time I'm just taking amoxicillin. I'm not fond of taking meds during pregnancy, but I peed my pants because I didn't know I had this one, so I'll take the meds :)

Hope you feel better soon!

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• When you pee make sure you get everything out. If pee gets left in that can lead to a UTI.
  • Im so sorry you're dealing with this. Here are some tips: Make sure you wipe from front to back, pee until you can't pee anymore, pee immediately after sex and drink cranberry juice every day (lots of it). Don't worry, you'll be fine.
  • Yikes! Hopefully the doctor got back to you about the directions for the medications. Hope you feel better soon.

Test
  • pure cranberry juice with NO added sugar (gonna be VERY tart) and get D-Mannose powder!

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-D-Mannose-Powder-3-Ounce/dp/B000HCMK90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405083369&sr=8-1&keywords=d-mannose+powder

This sh*t killed all my symptoms in like 2-3 days and I had no side effects.  My OB said it was safe to take, even for diabetics.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Did the dr do a urine culture to find out what bacteria it is that was resistant to the first round of antibiotics?  They usually do that if antibiotics don't work initially to make sure they prescribe antibiotics to target the specific bacteria.  It does take a few days to get the results though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kim1730 said:

Did the dr do a urine culture to find out what bacteria it is that was resistant to the first round of antibiotics?  They usually do that if antibiotics don't work initially to make sure they prescribe antibiotics to target the specific bacteria.  It does take a few days to get the results though.

I was told they sent it away, but wasn't told any results. The pharmacist looked up the results from my first uti and apparently there was contamination so they couldn't isolate what bacteria it was. The Dr I saw yesterday mentioned a culture and sensitivity, but I'm not sure if he did it or not.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"