Baby Names

Most detestable names?

So, most people seem to be asking whether their names are liked; I'm curious what names you ladies just can't stand. For whatever reason.

Re: Most detestable names?

• Kyle and Mathew... purely because of crappy highschool boyfriends.
  • Any name spelled weirdly. 

A) It's not unique.  It's weird. 

B) Kids like personalized pencils and shit, and you're just stripping them of that opportunity.

Love.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mildred is up there, along with the Brayden/Jayden/Cayden/Ayden and most spelling variations thereof.

• Meadow (side-eyes post below).  Oh, and her sister was named Crystal Light.

Any name that inappropriately uses "y" to make it unique.

Any name that tries to hard too be unique.

ETA: Example of unique name "Bumble."  Way back when someone on the baby boards suggested naming her daughter Bumble.  People actually encouraged the name.  Indifferent

• Tanner, Aiden, Aden, Caiden, Caden, Riley, Kiley....hmm, let me keep thinking. My cousin just named his baby girl Emerson.  I don't get these names at all.  It's not a kitten or a puppy, people!  It's a human being.  Really, do people not realize that their children are eventually going to become grown aduts.  Riley, Kiley....an adult?  Laughable.  Sorry.
  • Brayden, Braden, Summer, Willow.
  • I think Bertha is pretty unfortunate.
  • names that have always been spelled with a C, suddenly being spelled with a K. 

most names with a Y - especially when it's an "unusual" spelling.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • imagemrs.rescue4:
    Tanner, Aiden, Aden, Caiden, Caden, Riley, Kiley....hmm, let me keep thinking. My cousin just named his baby girl Emerson.  I don't get these names at all.  It's not a kitten or a puppy, people!  It's a human being.  Really, do people not realize that their children are eventually going to become grown aduts.  Riley, Kiley....an adult?  Laughable.  Sorry.

Ditto. The -en/-on phase needs to end. And I've said it a hundred times, but Claire, Grace, and Faith drive me bonkers.  To me they seem like filler and are totally non-creative yet "meaningful" Ick! I realize I sound like a total jerk, but they just bother me.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • I will second (third?) the Brayden, Jayden, Caden thing.

I also detest the use of surnames as first names. E.g. Reid, Cooper, Hunter, Cole, Parker, Tennison, etc. Detest.

• Marissa always grated on me, too.

• I will add Nada (my gradmother's name) and Olga (my aunt's name).
  • Neveah

Shiloh

Place names: Brooklyn, Chyenne, Dakota, etc.

• imageepphd:

imagemrs.rescue4:
    Tanner, Aiden, Aden, Caiden, Caden, Riley, Kiley....hmm, let me keep thinking. My cousin just named his baby girl Emerson.  I don't get these names at all.  It's not a kitten or a puppy, people!  It's a human being.  Really, do people not realize that their children are eventually going to become grown aduts.  Riley, Kiley....an adult?  Laughable.  Sorry.

Ditto. The -en/-on phase needs to end. And I've said it a hundred times, but Claire, Grace, and Faith drive me bonkers.  To me they seem like filler and are totally non-creative yet "meaningful" Ick! I realize I sound like a total jerk, but they just bother me.

I think the Grace, Claire and Rose as middle names is getting pretty tired.  I don't mind the 'en' names so much.  They are newer (although I know a 35 year old Braeden and loved his name for years), but at least they don't sound ridiculous.  The names I hate are more along the lines of trashy names:

Nevaeh, Destiny, Diamond

Then there are the overly cutesy ones:

Caylee, Kylee, Brylee

And I've always disliked Janice (even though it's my mom's name!)

• Shadynasty.

Autumn, Summer, Erin, Kelly, Brandy, Mandy, Candy, Tessa, Jessica, Alexis, Brady, BRODY (bleh!), AAron, Jayden, Diamond, Starla...and oh so many more I can't think of on the fly.  

• How about the Mc names?

Makenna, Mikenna, Mikayla, Miketta, Maketta....

*twitch*

• imagejustgnat:

Shadynasty.

Autumn, Summer, Erin, Kelly, Brandy, Mandy, Candy, Tessa, Jessica, Alexis, Brady, BRODY (bleh!), AAron, Jayden, Diamond, Starla...and oh so many more I can't think of on the fly.  

:( I really like a few on your list!  I love Brody, but Mr. Jenner ruined it for me.

• imagejustgnat:

Shadynasty.

Damn.  That was first on my list.

Love.
  • Lila, Lilah, Delilah, Lilly, Lily, Kyla, Kayla, Hailey, Hayley, Skyla and Skyler

Liam, Twerdy and Jim Bob

oh...and naming all your children with name that start with the same letter...like the crazy loons with the 18 kids (who we know are just doing it for the tv show).

• imagejustgnat:

Shadynasty.

You do not have any credibility. You are considering naming your child Lila Siren and were considering the name Linkin Keld for a boy.

• Siren? Linkin? Keld?

I'm hoping Keld is a last name turned middle name.

• imagepixy_stix:

Siren? Linkin? Keld?

I'm hoping Keld is a last name turned middle name.

Try again. Keld is her DH's bestest online friend's Everlast (computer game?) handle.

• I hope this is just one of those things that she is just playing around and hoping someone takes her seriously for the laugh.  Indifferent
  • imagemm1569:
    imagejustgnat:

Shadynasty.

You do not have any credibility. You are considering naming your child Lila Siren and were considering the name Linkin Keld for a boy.

Very classic names like Jessica, Erin (my first and middle name, FWIW) and Kelly aren't okay but Siren is?  And Linkin?    Tongue Tied

Love.
  • I can hear the other little boys on the playground now...."Linken's got a log in his pants!, Linken's got a log in his pants!"  or "Your mom spelled it wrong, dummy!"  Poor child.
  • Oh, geez Louise (add that to the list)...it's not even an EN, it's an IN.  Double, double poor child.
  • Mackenzie. I'm just so damn tired of hearing it.?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrs.rescue4:

Jim Bob

Along those lines, Billy Bob, Johnny Bob, Ricky Bob...substitute "Bob" for "Lee" or "Ray" it's equally heinous.

It appears, to my great delight, that there is a redneck baby name website. Complete with confederate flag.

https://www.redneckbabynames.com/browse-baby-names/

• Madison, Addison, Mason
  • Some gems:

Braylee, Brylee, Garth

• I hate a lot of names.  Many of my most detested have already been mentioned.

1.  Surnames as first names.  HATE this trend.  Cooper, Parker, Taylor, Emerson, Preston, Jackson (or even worse, Jaxon), Morgan, etc. 

2.  Boy's names for girls.  Ryan, Avery, Tyler, etc.  Ugh.

3.  Other names that don't necessarily fit these categories but still irritate me - Jayden, Caden, Braden, etc.

4.  Grayson.  I think this is one of my all-time least favorite names.  It is so hated that it gets its own category.  :)

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemm1569:

Some gems:

Braylee, Brylee, Garth

I know a girl Garth.

Love.
  • imagejs527:
    imagemm1569:
    imagejustgnat:

Shadynasty.

Very classic names like Jessica, Erin (my first and middle name, FWIW) and Kelly aren't okay but Siren is?  And Linkin?    Tongue Tied

What can I say, I'm not a fan of over-used names. Erin was my MN too...I couldn't WAIT to drop it when I got married.

And for the record, I don't love my DH's name picks. But he does and he deserves a say in the matter. I'm just happy get to give my daughter MY first choice for her given name. As long as the MN is something I myself can live with and am not mortified to have to explain to people, I don't care if anyone else hates it.

But you're right, Linkin is a bad spelling (another of DHs picks). We'll be spelling it the normal way. But hopefully before we have a boy my mom and I can convince DH he should be named after my grandfather like I want him to be.

• imageAsOctoberFalls:

4.  Grayson.  I think this is one of my all-time least favorite names.  It is so hated that it gets its own category.  :)

*shudder*

• Anything super-trendy... Like the Aiden/Brayden/Cayden/Jaden phenomenon.  *gag*

Boy's names for girls (yeah, my name is Toni - it's been nothing but a PITA).  Unisex names.  Last names as first names - Anderson, Jackson, Madison etc. unless it's a name from YOUR family.

Extraneous Y's.  Madysyn is not a name.

Nicknames for a given name.  Charlie, Jack, Max, Mike, etc... give your kid a full name.

• Lacy, Joey, Erica, Dalton, Evangeline, Janelle, i could go on and on
    VOTE on my Name List Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejustgnat:
    imagejs527:
    imagemm1569:
    imagejustgnat:

Shadynasty.

What can I say, I'm not a fan of over-used names. Erin was my MN too...I couldn't WAIT to drop it when I got married.

And for the record, I don't love my DH's name picks. But he does and he deserves a say in the matter. I'm just happy get to give my daughter MY first choice for her given name. As long as the MN is something I myself can live with and am not mortified to have to explain to people, I don't care if anyone else hates it.

But you're right, Linkin is a bad spelling (another of DHs picks). We'll be spelling it the normal way. But hopefully before we have a boy my mom and I can convince DH he should be named after my grandfather like I want him to be.

Huh?

uh....exactly what is the "normal" way to spell linkin?  because i thought it was lincoln.  and it was a last name. 

Have you seen my monkey?
  • Any girls name that ends with an I. Ami, Mari, Kristi, Sidni, etc.
  • I really hate when celebrities name their children off the wall crap like Matthew McConahey's brother named his kid "Miller Lite".  Did he have Miller Lite while the baby was being born and thought "hey what a great name."BeerConfused
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"