Adoption

Reference checks

Can someone tell me about the reference checks to become licensed? I want to start thinking about who the right people will be. How many do they need? Do the references write a letter? Participate in a phone interview? Face to face meeting?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Reference checks

• olp920olp920 member
    I'm in New Jersey if that matters
  • It probably varies by state and agency.  And also if you are doing international vs. domestic adoption.

The state I live in and the agency I went through required 5 references.  Each person had to write a letter and there was a list of 5 or so topics they needed to touch on.  Our references also had to be people we weren't related to.  I never heard anyone say that the agency called them or followed up at all after they sent in the letters.
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to do foster care home studies.  We required three references.  I would contact them by phone and ask them a list of questions and then give them the opportunity to add anything.  We also had a subsidiary that did parental placement adoptions and in their case the references wrote a letter to the agency.  We didn't accept references from family members.  I made once exception when a potential parent submitted their ex-spouse as a reference.  I figured if the ex was will to praise you it was an honest reference.  

I highly suggest selecting references who have seen you interact with children and have seen you handle adversity.  
  • I would ask them directly because, as others have mentioned, it can be state- and agency-specific. We did DIA and had to have 5 non-family references. We were given guidelines for them to write about, but no specific Q&A format. A friend adopted through foster care, and had to have 5 references, including a boss and a neighbor. It really can vary.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lacyj67Lacyj67 member
    edited July 2014
    I'm in ca and they asked for four and sent a front and back letter for the refrence to fill out and mail back. It's pretty detailed and pick people you really trust. It asks questions about your relationship... If they thought we would be good parents and if they had kids would they trust leaving there kids with is if they were not alive!! Crazy huh!!
    Me 34 and DH 39 married in aug. 2002
    Did 5 round of clomid 2010 =BFN
     High levels of NK CELLS DX sept.2012 DOR:# 0.02 
    IVF #1 May 2012  ER 4, EF 2, ET 2 =BFN
    MINI IVF Oct.2012  Cancelled 10-27-12
    Ivf #3 Antagonist Protocol April 2013
    Shared cycle..Donor cycled in July Got 12 eggs 9 fertilized and 8 frozen!!
    DE FET #1 Sept. 3rd 2013 FIRST BFP EVER 5dp5dt
    miscarried Sept 24th at 5 weeks 5 days
    Etopic  D&C and hysterscopy Nov 5 2013
    dx with pre genetic blood clotting dec 2013
    FET #2 Jan 31st  2014 
    Miscarried for a second time again at 5 weeks 5 days
    Currently fostering to adopt an amazing little 1 year old boy..P.J!
    FET#3  is Oct 29th 2014
    BFN on fet #3
    Last and FINAL FET coming JAN 28th 2015
    Everyone Welcome

• CheleChele member
    I'm in New Jersey as well doing foster care/fost-to-adopt and we needed two references. If I remember correctly, they had a questionnaire that they completed. It was definitely written and not verbal.
    10/27/07
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"