May 2014 Moms

Sleeping baby

My baby is 8 weeks old and still only sleeps in 3 to 4 hour stretches at night (and that's if I'm lucky). I feel like I keep hearing other moms talking about their babies sleeping 5 to 6 hours by this time, should I be concerned?

Re: Sleeping baby

• I hear that a lot on this board too. Mine is also 8 weeks, doesn't sleep at night, only in 20 min. increments if I'm lucky. Oh yes, he also screams bloody murder due to his reflux. I'm having a terrible time. I would be grateful for a 3-4 stretch at night. Also, how does everyone already have bedtimes at this age? I think I'm missing something.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Our LO is just over 7 weeks and she wakes up at least twice a night. We normally get 3-4 stretches too. "General" bedtime, we try to give her a bottle of BM between 8-8:15 and have her in her RnP by 8:30-8:45. She can generally fall asleep on her own in her RnP after her bottle of BM. Every once in a while she goes back to her two hour stretches, so I'll take 3-4 stretches any time :-).
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is also not sleeping through the night. You are not alone on this one! DD sleeps maybe 3 hours and it's a it's a struggle every time to get her to sleep.

I start her bath at 7-7:30p with BM bottle after that. From that point on I am doing whatever I can to get her to sleep. Most times she's asleep by midnight.

I've read the books, done all the tricks, and right now nothing is working. I am exhausted and totally jealous of those whose babes are already in sleep routines :/
  • XathXath member
    Nope.  My first didn't sleep more than 3 hours at a time until he was 6 months old.   Sometimes only 45 minutes at a time.  It was awesome.  DS2 looks like he may be following in his brother's footsteps.

I try to put DS2 down when DS1 goes to bed at 7:30  We've established a night time routine, but he still cries and wants to be held until about 9:30-10 every night.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My LO sleeps about 6hrs straight at night. I've tried to get him to go to bed around 8-830pm, but that wasn't exactly working for him. He wouldn't actually go to sleep until 10-11. So I just adjusted everything to fit him.

If he has a bottle at 7pm then I'll give him a bath at 9ish, put him in his pjs. And give him a smaller bottle at 9:30pm and he goes to sleep in my arms. So when I put him in his crib he wakes up a bit and just stirs around until he falls back asleep. And then he doesn't wake up until 4ish. I give him another bottle and he will go back to sleep until 730ish.

Maybe try figuring out your baby's routine, and adjusting to them. Because I was getting frustrated when he wouldn't go to sleep earlier. But I'm okay with a 10pm bedtime now.
  • QOTRQOTR member
    My baby is 6 weeks, but I had this same concern and asked a similar question recently. I was relieved to know I wasn't alone, so hopefully the responses you receive will ease your mind too. I think another difference may be between this babies drinkng formula vs breastmilk? I think BM fed babies need to eat more often.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • We get ok sleep stretches sometimes, but bedtime? Ha. I have the basic routine of diaper check, bath, snuggling and feeding in quiet dark room but after that it's all wait and see. Yesterday the after that was an hour, but it's been 4 hours too.
  • lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    Our norm is that DS goes down between 7-8, if he doesn't wake up on his own, we wake him up around 10 to feed him and diaper change, down from 11ish-3 or 4, then down again from 4 or 5 til 7:30ish. We've gotten a couple of 6 hour stretches but nothing consistent.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • when I told the doctor that my LO sleeps through the night, he said they normally don't do that until around 12 weeks. So I wouldn't worry! Hope your little one catches on soon! :)
  • Lild09Lild09 member
    Every baby is different I wouldn't worry. My lo sleeps long night stretches usually between 5.5-7.5 h at his longest stretch then an hour to two after that and during the day he barely naps we are lucky if he gives 10 min on his own more if we hold him.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My pedi told us that once the baby hits 11 lbs is when they start sleeping longer stretches. We just started sleeping 6-7 stretches at 8.5 weeks
  • Most nights she doesn't go to sleep till 12 or 1 am. From 7-1030 pm she sleeps for about 45 mins and then wants to eat or play. When she is down for the night she will sleep for about 4 hours and then wakes up every 2-3 hours after that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • ns1ns1 member
    As I've posted before, DS is a crap sleeper. I've given up for now and am camping out with him on the couch watching Netflix. When we were lucky he went 1-3 hours. Now I struggle to get him to sleep and can't set him down once I do. I feel your pain.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Every baby is different. With DS #1 we were thanking our lucky stars if we could get a 3 hr stretch at 8 weeks vs DS #2 he does usually get one 5 hours stretch. I don't think we've done anything different this time around other than DS #1 had reflux which we had no control over other than getting him medication. After months DS #1 became a good sleeper so there is light at the end of the tunnel. If you are at 4 months and still not getting a good stretch then I'd look at your routine but 8 weeks it is still very normal.
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • MK1013 said:

We've only had one "stretch" and that was 6 hours. Aside from that it's usually 3.5-4 hours the first part of the night and then 2 after.

This is us exactly.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO usually falls asleep around. 9:30 and maybe sleeps 3-4 hours, mostly 3. Then the rest of the night is anywhere from. 45 minutes - 1.5 hours until we get up for the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"