C-sections

Preparation Guidelines for Scheduled C-Section

This isn't really an important question, just something I happened to wonder about. :)

I had an unplanned c-section with my son (my water broke without me ever going into labor naturally, failure to progress, son's heart rate dropping after each contraction, etc.) I'm 30 weeks pregnant with our second, and I'll be having a scheduled repeat c-section. Since my first c-section wasn't planned or expected, I obviously wasn't given any guidelines for things I should or shouldn't do beforehand (ie - eat food, drink anything, wear makeup or jewelry, etc.) So I'm just wondering what guidelines you were all given before a planned c-section. I meant to ask my OB at my appointment today, but I totally forgot!
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Preparation Guidelines for Scheduled C-Section

• Uhhmm well it's been a few years but I want to  say no food after midnight.

Makeup was fine but I don't think I was allowed to wear contacts.  I can't remember.  

If you want to donate the cord blood, let them know soon so that they can possibly arrange it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies! Since my first c-section wasn't planned (and since I wasn't even in labor when I went to the hospital,) I was wearing my usual makeup (eyeliner, eyeshadow, powder) and jewelry (earrings, a necklace, bracelet and ring.) When I posted pictures on Facebook of me holding my son right after the c-section, a few people commented about the fact that I had been "allowed" to wear makeup and jewelry during the surgery. It hadn't even occurred to me that anyone wouldn't be able to wear that. The other day I was looking back through some pictures of when my son was born, and that's what got me thinking about it. I also ate a chicken quesadilla the night before my c-section - I know for sure I won't be doing that again! Ugh.
  • If you want the official stuff, i would reach out to your provider/hospital. They will most likely give you a sheet or some directions closer to the date, But just keep in mind that some of those things you should take with a grain of salt - as you well know from experience of having had one cs already, they can operate just fine with you wearing makeup and without super fasting... Since your water broke unexpectedly I doubt you were fasting in preparation... And they operated regardless...
  • Every hospital has different guidelines, so check with your doctor. My scheduled RCS, I was told no jewelery but makeup was ok (I did just that). The hardest for me was the no eating after 10 pm the night before - my surgery was scheduled for 2 pm, but due to an unrelated emergency they didn't take me until 5:30. So, when all was said and done I didn't eat for 24 hours. That really sucked.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• As PP said, each hospital/provider may have different policies and since you're planned your provider should give you this info shortly before your RCS. For me, I was told no food or drink including water after 10 PM for my 8:45am c/s. I had to remove my jewelry and take out my contacts. That was it. I've heard some people have been told no make up, but I wasn't told that and wore some (nothing heavy, but I wanted something on).
  • I had to go for pre-op bloodwork 24-28 hours before the scheduled c/s.  I left my rings/ other jewelry at home but was allowed to wear makeup and nail polish.  I wore my glasses instead of my contacts.  I had a 12 noon c/s appt and couldn't eat after midnight the day before.  
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks, ladies! Since my first c-section wasn't planned (and since I wasn't even in labor when I went to the hospital,) I was wearing my usual makeup (eyeliner, eyeshadow, powder) and jewelry (earrings, a necklace, bracelet and ring.) When I posted pictures on Facebook of me holding my son right after the c-section, a few people commented about the fact that I had been "allowed" to wear makeup and jewelry during the surgery. It hadn't even occurred to me that anyone wouldn't be able to wear that. The other day I was looking back through some pictures of when my son was born, and that's what got me thinking about it. I also ate a chicken quesadilla the night before my c-section - I know for sure I won't be doing that again! Ugh.
    Was it a crash c-section? Because if you had any kind of time for preparation I'm very surprised they didn't make you remove the jewelry.  No jewelry during surgery is pretty standard unless it cannot come off, I know a couple of people who have had their wedding rings on so long they won't come off without being cut.  
  • mysticl said:

Thanks, ladies! Since my first c-section wasn't planned (and since I wasn't even in labor when I went to the hospital,) I was wearing my usual makeup (eyeliner, eyeshadow, powder) and jewelry (earrings, a necklace, bracelet and ring.) When I posted pictures on Facebook of me holding my son right after the c-section, a few people commented about the fact that I had been "allowed" to wear makeup and jewelry during the surgery. It hadn't even occurred to me that anyone wouldn't be able to wear that. The other day I was looking back through some pictures of when my son was born, and that's what got me thinking about it. I also ate a chicken quesadilla the night before my c-section - I know for sure I won't be doing that again! Ugh.

Was it a crash c-section? Because if you had any kind of time for preparation I'm very surprised they didn't make you remove the jewelry.  No jewelry during surgery is pretty standard unless it cannot come off, I know a couple of people who have had their wedding rings on so long they won't come off without being cut.  

Some ppl call emergency c-section a crash c-section. I had an emergency and I had no time to take off my jewelry which was only my wedding rings and my earrings, but the nurses took them off of me and gave them to DH when they were preparing to take me out of L&D to the OR. There always time. So yea that's surprising you didn't hAve to take your jewelry off.
  • They just told me no jewelry and to not eat after Midnight. (DH cooked me something to eat at like 11pm that night.) I could still wear makeup and my contacts were fine, which I was happy about because I wouldn't have even been able to see DD if I couldn't have those in or glasses on.
  • mysticl said:
    Thanks, ladies! Since my first c-section wasn't planned (and since I wasn't even in labor when I went to the hospital,) I was wearing my usual makeup (eyeliner, eyeshadow, powder) and jewelry (earrings, a necklace, bracelet and ring.) When I posted pictures on Facebook of me holding my son right after the c-section, a few people commented about the fact that I had been "allowed" to wear makeup and jewelry during the surgery. It hadn't even occurred to me that anyone wouldn't be able to wear that. The other day I was looking back through some pictures of when my son was born, and that's what got me thinking about it. I also ate a chicken quesadilla the night before my c-section - I know for sure I won't be doing that again! Ugh.
    No, not an emergency/crash c-section. I was wheeled into the OR about an hour and a half after we decided with my doctor that it was the best course of action. I had two pairs of earrings in each ear, a necklace and a ring (I thought I was wearing a bracelet, too, but I just looked at the pictures and I wasn't. You can clearly see my necklace beneath the leads/monitors they have on my chest in all my pictures in from the recovery room though.) Nobody ever said anything about it! Weird! It's the only surgery I've ever had, so I had no idea that no jewelry was a standard rule. No wonder people commented on it!

I don't think I had anything to eat after midnight, though. They let me order food around 6pm the night before because I thought my water was leaking but I wasn't in labor, and they were waiting for my OB to come check me.
  • AF9211AF9211 member
    mysticl said:
    No, not an emergency/crash c-section. I was wheeled into the OR about an hour and a half after we decided with my doctor that it was the best course of action. I had two pairs of earrings in each ear, a necklace and a ring (I thought I was wearing a bracelet, too, but I just looked at the pictures and I wasn't. You can clearly see my necklace beneath the leads/monitors they have on my chest in all my pictures in from the recovery room though.) Nobody ever said anything about it! Weird! It's the only surgery I've ever had, so I had no idea that no jewelry was a standard rule. No wonder people commented on it!

I don't think I had anything to eat after midnight, though. They let me order food around 6pm the night before because I thought my water was leaking but I wasn't in labor, and they were waiting for my OB to come check me.
    Just to piggyback on your jewelry comment...my c-section was not planned OR emergency. My nurse discovered DD was breech when I was 8 cm dilated and the doc came in and said we were gonna have to do a c-section. Between the time she told me I was having the surgery and the time it took to get me prepped (about 45 minutes), not once did anyone tell me I had to remove my jewelry. I had my wedding rings on the entire time. 

• Anyone have any info on why makeup would be a problem? I cannot really just wrap my head around these various and seemingly arbitrary rules without further understanding.

I don't really care about the makeup (not wearing any right now), but I think I have some limited understanding on the food and jewelry guidance.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • nickicl said:

Anyone have any info on why makeup would be a problem? I cannot really just wrap my head around these various and seemingly arbitrary rules without further understanding.

I don't really care about the makeup (not wearing any right now), but I think I have some limited understanding on the food and jewelry guidance.

Makeup hides your true skin color, it's like that for all surgeries. If you stop breathing they look at your lips, eyes, and nails. Which is why you aren't suppose to wear nail polish during surgery.
  • Anyone have any info on why makeup would be a problem? I cannot really just wrap my head around these various and seemingly arbitrary rules without further understanding. I don't really care about the makeup (not wearing any right now), but I think I have some limited understanding on the food and jewelry guidance.
    Makeup hides your true skin color, it's like that for all surgeries. If you stop breathing they look at your lips, eyes, and nails. Which is why you aren't suppose to wear nail polish during surgery.
    That is really interesting! I never would've thought of that.
  • I think this post may have made a case for VBAC for me (which lis unlikely work out) because I hate all these rules. I just want to eat food and not have any concern for whether I left some dang nail polish on.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • nickicl said:
    I think this post may have made a case for VBAC for me (which lis unlikely work out) because I hate all these rules. I just want to eat food and not have any concern for whether I left some dang nail polish on.
    Haha! Yeah, some of it seems weird. I think the eating thing might apply in the hospital if you're past a certain point in labor, too, even if you're not having a c-section. I threw up about an hour before my c-section and again on the operating table in the OR. The anesthesiologist had to catch it in a bucket. So I'm pretty fine with the no eating thing. That was really unpleasant! I would think you could talk to your OB ahead of time and see what guidelines he/she feels are important. I had toenail polish on, but no fingernail polish; again, nobody said a word.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"