January 2015 Moms

Diagnosed with HG

My OB sent me to the ER for fluids since I can't keep anything down. They diagnosed me with hyperemesis gravidarum, and suggested I might need a zofran pump and a home health nurse to administer fluids. Anyone else been through this?

P.S. Please no suggestions for ginger ale, crackers, "stay hydrated!" etc. You can't stay hydrated no matter how hard you try, and those other remedies do not work on people with HG. It is nothing like typical morning sickness. It's a violent response by the vegus nerve to pregnancy hormones.

Re: Diagnosed with HG

• @NatureLovers‌ in my #1 pregnancy I had HG. It lasted from me finding out I was preg to about 21 weeks. Docs didn't diagnose it til around 8w and just said it was MS. Some docs are just not clued up about HG and how disabling it can be.
    I really sympathise with you as I know how horrid it is. All that ginger rubbish is crap even for normal MS! So many ppl said that to me and I wanted to punch them in the face.
    I was on tablets (Promethazine) and they had to up my dose til I was taking about 3 tabs a day towards the end of it. They were also sedatives and working made it really hard for me as I was even more sleepy and groggy.
    I struggled too to keep even water down.
    I prayed I wouldn't have it this time round and I've been lucky but did have bad MS.

I'm sorry that I can't offer you any relief from it as nothing works as you know. Just keep trying to take meds and hang in there hun. Just pester your doc/MW about it if you can't get it managed.

After my son was born the MW said as she was weighing him that he was smaller than they expected (he was 6lb 4 and should have been around 7lb) and she thinks it was from having HG so bad and to top it off, my placenta started to fail during the last month and his nutrient intake wasn't as good so he didn't put down any fat stores like they are supposed to at month 9.
    He was all skin and bone bless him. He quickly put it on though but that scared me.
    She told me that during #2 if I started to get HG again I must take meds ASAP and catch it earlier.
    When I told that during last pregnancy (the one I lost) to the nurse at my docs office she poo pooed that and made out the MW was talking crap.
    Trust your instincts. I know MW was taking sense and would take her opinion over a general nurse.

I find some mothers and health professionals down talk HG because they breezed through their pregs and think it doesn't exist. Makes me mad as it can be a serious symptom if left unchecked.

BabyFetus Ticker

#1 Son born: 18 June 2008 :) 
     #2 M/C: 23 January 2014 at 5w,2d :( 
     #3 BFP: 28 April 2014. Yay! EDD: 6th January 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone. I'm currently on Zofran, Phenergan, Diclegis, and they gave me a new nausea med in the ER, I think it's called Taigan? Or something like that. I'll be calling my OB office once they open to get an appointment.
  • No advice but wanted to tell you I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I've never heard of it but it sounds absolutely miserable :(
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • That sucks! No HG is not normal MS. I sincerely hope you dont have to do a zofran pump and home health for IVF. I hope the pills work for you! Were you alrwady on pills before the ER visit? They just added the one @NatureLovers‌ ? (((Hugs))) keep us posted!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, I was on the Zofran/Phenergan/Diclegis combo before the ER visit. Unfortunately, it's not working. Night before last I had diarrhea for hours. Once the Immodium kicked in I fell asleep, but as soon as I woke up I started vomiting again, despite being on the full dose of Diclegis. I took Zofran and Phenergan but still couldn't eat or keep water down, so my Doc told me to head to the ER. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
  • I have a close friend that had HG and was hospitalized SO many times, it sucked to even watch her go through it as a friend. So I'm soooo sorry!  ((hugs))
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Thanks y'all. I got an appt to see my OB tomorrow afternoon.
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    I haven't dealt with it, but I've known a couple women who have, and it's no joke. Sorry you have to go through this. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• No advice or personal experience here (I had bad MS with DD but it wasn't HG). Just sympathy. It sounds awful and I hope it doesn't last long.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No advice or personal experience here (I had bad MS with DD but it wasn't HG). Just sympathy. It sounds awful and I hope it doesn't last long.

I'm almost 15 weeks. I wanted to cry when the ER doc told me it lasts the entire pregnancy for some women.
    :((
  • LanatirLanatir member
    edited July 2014
    I haven't had it, but my friend had it with both of her pregnancies.  She was sick until pretty much going into labor with both boys.  The couple made a decision to give up their foster son (he also had a 95% chance at that point of the next family being his forever home) because my friend was so sick she felt she couldn't properly care for him.

So I have a general idea how debilitating it is.  I think the best advice I can offer from her first pregnancy (once she didn't have a child to chase around after her foster child got adopted) is to try to sleep whenever you can to keep stuff in, but even that will probably eventually drive you crazy.  HG is pretty much hell...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • longcat07longcat07 member
    edited July 2014
    i haven't had HG but i have had chronic GI issues in the past with a similar effect...only it was only for bouts over 2 or 3 days every few months, usually bad enough that i had to go for fluids because literally nothing would stay down, not even meds to help things stay down.  i simply cannot imagine the kind of misery you must be in right now with it going on nonstop.  :(  i hope the zofran pump helps, and that you're not dealing with this for too much longer.

edit: words
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • Maybe some jolly ranchers? Ahhhh i take it back. Holy shit this sounds terrible you poor thing. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Hope you feel better soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I am so sorry you are going through this. I just want to say I know how annoying it is when people act like you're exaggerating. I haven't been to that level of sick but pretty close and no one in my family or group of friends can relate so they act like I'm just being dramatic. It's so frustrating. Hang in there. :-)
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. No personal experience, but it sounds awful.
  • kursemkursem member

So sorry for your struggle, hon...that is just awful.  I have a dear friend who went through the same and she did do the zofran pump and while a pain in the ass and not the ideal arrangement, it helped her IMMENSELY. 

Just remember - your job as Momma is to keep you and baby healthy and hydrated and nourished - so whatever medical help you need with that, embrace it - it's just you doing what you have to do to take good care of yourself and baby :)

FX that things get a LOT better for you - and soon!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sass, that is unbelievable how heartless your doctor was with your first. That sucks.

Thanks for the support ladies. I see my OB tomorrow afternoon to come up with a game plan.
  • I never had the pump, thank goodness, but I've had HG with every full-term pregnancy (this is number three), and have had to get pumped full of fluids for all of them. I really just want to say how sorry I am. It fucking sucks, and I'll gladly help you punch people in the face when/if they call you a sissy, say you're overreacting, or tell you some nonsense solution to your HG.
    All of this!  HG sucks so bad, I am so sorry.  I remember screaming at a nurse with my first because she kept telling me to stay hydrated and I couldn't even drink water without violently getting ill.  Mine has always caused busted blood vessels and black eyes which is super fun to explain when you haven't even announced you are pregnant yet. Good luck!!!  If you do take the option of the zofran, please be proactive about the constipation side effect. Just a tip from someone who has been there. ;)

My girls: August 14, 2011 and December 5, 2013

• Oh, I've been dealing with Zofran since week 6. I haven't had a pleasant poop in months!
  • I am HG this time, though not as bad as my first pregnancy. I was on a zofran pump for 15 weeks and did home IV fluids a few times. My best advice is that the home healthcare nurses are experts at HG, more than most doctors. It was great to have so much one on one expert attention during tough times. It's not easy, but it totally worth it. I did get better toward the end of my first pregnancy and went to just zofran pills. Oh one thing that did really help me was to separate food and drink by 30 mins. Also small meals are better than large ones. It seemed to keep more food in when I could eat. There's a good HG group on Facebook and here in the forums. If you ever have questions, I'm happy to help!
    5 IUIs and an IVF
    It's all worth it for Baby Boy, born 9/30/13!
    What do you know, Baby Girl just popped up! Due 1/2/15
  • @Tauristar‌ do you know the name of the HG group on FB? Thanks!
  • It's hyperemesis gravidarum sufferers and survivors! There are lots of great tips for having a pump and dealing with side effects. Good luck, just remember it's over whelming but you and baby will be fine in the end! That kept me sane through the bad days.
    5 IUIs and an IVF
    It's all worth it for Baby Boy, born 9/30/13!
    What do you know, Baby Girl just popped up! Due 1/2/15
  • I have had HG for all 3 of my pregnancies and with my first I did not get the medication or the medical attention I needed and was in and out of the hospital so many times. I found a different doctor for my second pregnancy and she got right on top of getting me the meds and care I needed. This pregnancy has been so tough as I have two kids so my husband and I have hired a nanny because there is no way that I can care for them right now. I have found a support website for those with HG. Check it out: https://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum/
    DS1 5/15/11
    DS2 12/20/12
  • HG is really rough. I saw my OB today. She is adding Reglan to my arsenal. If that doesn't work, she's going to put me on a round of steroids. If that doesn't work, she said she might put me in the hospital for awhile to see if round the clock meds help. She doesn't really want to do the Zofran pump, because oral Zofran hasn't helped much to begin with.
  • I don't see why Ginger ale and soda crackers wouldn't work better for you than doctor prescribed medication. I mean, they sometimes almost helped with my fairly mild nausea so they can probably cure a serious condition that regularly sends people to the ER.

Seriously though, I am so sorry that you are going through this. I hope the new meds help!

BabyFruit Ticker

• @cabbeeby‌ you really got me for a second! Good one. :)
  • I'm so sorry you are going through that. I have bad nausea and at 14 weeks am still vomiting, but nothing like that. All I can say is do whatever it takes to take care of yourself. Whatever food you can stomach, eat it. Dont worry about anything except doing what makes you feel a little better.

I hope it gets better for you really soon....
  • I have had HG all four of my pregnancies. Fluids are vital to recovering, though I didn't always find the zofran helpful. I would talk very seriously with your doctor ASAP about the home health plan. My second pregnancy required me to have a permanent IV placed called a PICC line. Without it, neither my baby nor I would have made it. The only upside to HG is that it means you have a very healthy pregnancy- your hormones are on fire!!! Rest as much as possible and consider supplemental nutrition like ensure clear when you CAN keep things down. Hopefully this will subside for you in the next few months (mine didn't, but that's fairly unusual). Be adamant that your doctor see you and get you on a solid treatment plan. Good luck!
  • clorh2clorh2 member
    I'm so sorry to hear all of you with HG. I can't even imagine feeling that horrible all the time. I can emphasize with you though as I have been sick 24-7 and am on 3 pills a day for nausea. Everytime a friend asks if I tried a "natural remedy," I laugh in their face. People just do not understand unless they have had severe MS. And even with severe MS, I know HG must be much worse.
  • I had HG with DD. I'm so sorry you are going through it. It's brutal. I was on Zofran, then Phenergan. Now that I think about it, I was actually really angry with how my first OB handled it. She did very little and it wasn't until I saw the other doctor in the practice (my current OB) that I was prescribed meds. I had already lost so much weight by then and my skin was gray and dry. I was later diagnosed with severe anemia. This time around my current OB was on top of things so the impact has been less severe.

I hope things let up for you so that you can enjoy at least part of your pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got Reglan today, and when combined with Zofran and Phenergan, I was able to eat a decently sized dinner of soup and salad
  • @NatureLovers-- I hope it continues to work for you and that (if you want to) your body is up to eating more than just soup and salad.  :)
  • I really wanted soup and salad! Although I haven't been able to eat much, when I do eat I've been wanting fresh fruit and veggies. I really like the cold food because it's refreshing and doesn't have much of a smell.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"