December 2014 Moms
Options

Registry.

My DH and I are expecting our first child this Christmas. We have ordered our crib, and have decided on a cabinet type dresser as well as a changing table that we want to purchase. My husband says we should buy them, which part of me would like to do, but I also think we should just buy one of them and put the other on our registry. The strollers (travel system and small umbrella) will go on our registry as well as the other smaller items. Should we put the furniture on the registry and if we don't receive it just buy it then, or should we buy them now. Any thoughts?

Re: Registry.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Unless you specifically have someone offering to buy it for you, I would  just buy it yourself.  Look for sales and coupons to get the best deals.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My family told me to put the expensive stuff on my registry. A lot of them will go in on bigger items together. I guess its all what your family and friends traditionally do.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• Options
    I think putting it on the registry could help save you money. The way I view our registry is as a list of items we plan on purchasing that we have not yet purchased or have not been offered. Ex. my parents have offered to purchase the crib, so that won't go on there. Whatever others want to buy will be GREATLY appreciated, and whatever is left over we will purchase and get our 10 - 15% off. I know in my H's family people like to chip in an buy larger items from a group. 
  • Options
    In all the baby showers I've been to, no one has ever bought furniture unless it was grandparents, and they probably would have already offered by now.
    I would buy it myself.
  • Options
    We bought all of the furniture ourself. I would put anything along those lines on a registry.

<CafeMom Tickers>

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I would buy it myself but I would put it on your registry if you are registering at the place you are buying the furniture. To me a registry is a list of things you want for the baby. I do not expect anyone to buy off my registry but if they wish to look at the things I want then great. I had two very small showers and only a few people bought off the registry. Some people like to go together on big gifts, some want to crochet you a blanket. At the end I would use the registry completion coupon to buy anything that was left that is needed. This is all unless you can find it on sale for less than you would pay with the coupon. I scored a major deal on a PNP so I bought it instead if registering for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think expensive things (ex: travel system, car seat) are fine on your registry. I think furniture is odd. People don't buy you couches for your wedding registry. Its extravagant and looks greedy. If a grandparent wants to then you can go with them to the store and purchase it. It doesn't need to be on your registry even if a grandparent wants to. I don't want people seeing how much or how little I spent on my children's furniture.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the input! We have already ordered the crib (should be here in a couple days), and will probably buy the dresser but decided to put the changer on the registry (it's not a super big ticket item). As for a travel system, we'll play that one by ear for now. Hoping to make a trip to Babies R Us within the next month to look at that stuff in person.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs that said it is OK on a registry as long as you have lots of other items in lower price ranges - all different price ranges.  Don't expect to get it, and be prepared to buy it yourselves, but then you have the completion discount.  It gives people options if they want to spend a lot or go in on a gift together.  

Then again, I don't plan on having a big shower (if I have one at all), and the only people who will ever be seeing my registry are close friends and family.  They aren't going to be worried or offended if I break some sort of registry etiquette, so I'm going to try not to be too worried.  That being said, I would never do something like dictate what people buy or don't buy, as I've been reading about here in previous posts.  It's just about giving options.
  • Options
    I would plan on buying everything unless someone specifically says they will get it for you, (and even then that doesn't always mean they will! I learned from that.) We registered for small things and I think that largest item was a pack and play. We budgeted on buying everything we needed.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"