Baby Names
Options

Owen and Evan...too similar?

Hi ladies,
We have a 2 year old Owen and are expecting his little brother in the fall. I tend to dislike "matchy" sibsets but one of the few names my H and I agree on is Evan. Thoughts on the name itself, and if it's too similar to Owen?

Re: Owen and Evan...too similar?

• Options
    I think this is fine.  Same flavor, but not too matchy.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    EXL311EXL311 member
    I don't think it's too similar.  
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not too similar at all.
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but they're too similar IMO
  • Options

I do think they are very similar.

What about Ian or Ethan?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

I do think they are very similar.

What about Ian or Ethan?

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I'm a teacher and have very strong associations with both those names (and lots of others, hence the naming difficulty) :)

• Options
    Thanks for your opinions ladies! It's good to hear some outside perspectives :)

• Options
    I don't think they are too similar. A bumpie friend of mine has an Owen and Evan.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• Options
    Two similar for me
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think they are too similar Owen and Evan sound nice together.
  • Options
    not sure how Owen and Evan seem too similar I don't see it at all
  • Options
    not sure how Owen and Evan seem too similar I don't see it at all
    Well, they are both 2 syllable, 4 letter names. And the second syllable, though spelled differently, is pronounced the same. That's how they are similar.

And yes, I fall in the way too similar category. I'd get tongue tied all of the time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tee18tee18 member
    I have an Evan and we were considering Owen if this next one is a boy! I love both of the names. We decided against it though because of this reason - mainly because I feel like I would get tongue tied saying them together a lot. I wouldn't think much of it though it if I met a pair of Owen/Evan. I think it could go either way. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like it and think it sounds good together.  You could try Ethan instead of Evan if you are worried about them sound too close.  My cousins twins are Owen and Ethan.
  • Options
    For me, yes, they're too similar.  Not in an obnoxiously matchy way, just that they feel very similar and I for sure would get tongue-tied all the time, because I do that with two kids of the opposite sex whose names aren't that similar.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    Still don't see how it would stop someone from naming siblings Owen and Evan but to each his own
  • Options
    I loooove Owen. I'm not as fond of Evan but it's just not my taste. I don't think it's too similar and if you both like it then no problemooo

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    bobceebobcee member
    I have a friend with twins named Owen and Evan. I personally don't think they are too close.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Options
    I think they are too close.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Evan has 15 variant forms: Euan, Euen, Evann, Evans, Ev, Eva, Even, Evin, Evo, Evyn, Ewan, Ewen, Ewy, Owen and Van. Read more at https://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Evan#YJ9qSO6SyjbIpxRT.99 I think Owen is a variant of Evan .
  • Options
    saham07 said:
    Evan has 15 variant forms: Euan, Euen, Evann, Evans, Ev, Eva, Even, Evin, Evo, Evyn, Ewan, Ewen, Ewy, Owen and Van. Read more at https://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Evan#YJ9qSO6SyjbIpxRT.99 I think Owen is a variant of Evan .

so that would help me to look on for another name
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"