Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

First Haircut

steelerbaby29steelerbaby29 member
edited June 2014 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
My son will be 13 months in a couple weeks. He has a lot of hair and its so long in the front its starting to get into his eyes. He also has a little 80's "rat tail" going on in the back lol.. My hubby has finally agreed to let him get a haircut. I was looking at those salons that are geared for kids only. I'm trying to imagine my son sitting still long enough to get a trim and I have no idea how that is going to happen. Just curious how did your LO's first haircut go?

Re: First Haircut

• They are used to kids, so don't worry about that. There are techniques to help with it and if all else fails, you restrain. It's usually 5min tops at this age.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • we did (and still do) trim at home. DS hates it. you can just lift the bangs straight up in the air and trim the tips off while they're distracted by something (TV or a desirable food item). i got haircutting scissors for under $10 at target. i always pull the hair away from DS's body, so if he jerks suddenly, i won't poke him with the scissors. so far i've done several trims of DS's bangs, and one time he amazingly let me trim his whole head. there are good how-to videos on youtube.

we didn't think he'd sit still for a kid's haircut and they are expensive!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would just go into the experience with low expectations. Make sure your son is well-rested and in a decent mood and hope for the best. I'm a hairdresser (not in a kids salon though) and I always tell the parents the haircut will be as good as the kid keeps still. We do our best when they're wiggly, but just don't expect perfection!
  • My DD is 15 months, she has long curly hair and to top it off a lot of it. I've been contemplating a hair cut since she was one ha! She has a square head thanks to her dad so I'm kinda nervous what she will look like if we did it short. This nasty texas heat keeps her head hot. My husband suggested a buzzcut. Yeah right!!
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    We took DS to one of the kids' places. They have cars or airplanes for the kids to sit in, so DS was happily driving his car. They also have tvs in front of most of the stations so that was also another distraction. The third and final was his choice of a lollipop or animal crackers. The kid could not have been more still!
    imageimage
  • I just took both my kids where I get my haircut.  She charges way less than the kid places.  I held both kids on my lap for the first time.  DS was 14 mos maybe?  He held a sucker and did fine.  DD was 19 mos.  Same thing.  
  • We just went to Snip It's for DS's first hair cut (21 months). He did great, but they have TV's for those kids who aren't happy.  There was another child that was screaming and arching his back the whole time and the hairdresser just cut it as fast as she could.  You don't know unless you try =) 
  • RN2011RN2011 member
    Our DD was born with a lot of hair and then it started growing kind of funky.  We've taken our DD for 3 trims.  The first one was at a kid's specialty place but she still sat on my lap. Second was at a salon I was walking past and she also sat on my lap.  Third was at a Super cuts where she again sat on my lap.  She was good in all 3 places.  It's just how you keep them entertained.  Yes, she moved around some so she had a couple of longer pieces but she's 17 months, I didn't expect a "perfect" haircut.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We go to a Great Clips because the kid's places in our areas charge almost $25!  DS went for the first time around 20-months because he was growing a mullet.  We had introduced him to the clippers (he looooves DS's clippers) and hair dryer at home.  DS sat on my lap and overall did really well, I was truly surprised.  We had a really good hairstylist who was clearly used to kids, fast and good at distraction.  The second time we went DS still did well, but the stylist was not as good.  Slow, kept stopping to talk to me (seriously, just cut the kid's hair!), and expected DS to be still as a statue.

Like @tricia560, I was covered in hair - so if you are going somewhere afterwards I'd bring a change of short.  Overall, I wouldn't expect a perfect haircut.  At this age it's just about getting the hair out of kiddo's eyes and getting used to the experience.
  • DS got his first haircut at 7 1/2 months so it was easy (less awareness) although he was pretty wiggly. It all just depends on the kid. Something that we did to prep him for it was put my electric hairbrush on his head as well as his dad's electric shaver just so that he was used to the vibrations and noise and it wasn't scary. We would do it almost daily and he thought it was funny. Worked for us and he didn't even flinch during his haircut. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Both of my boys had successful first haircuts.  My second did much better than my first.  If your little uses a paci, then I would definitely (DEFINITELY) recommend bringing it for the haircut!  Good luck!
  • They actually cut the hair really fast! They know babies don't sit still so it's quick! I sit my son on my lap and they give him a comb or something to play with. By the time he's bored with it, they are done.
  • Ours went good, I did a kids salon that puts on a movie for the kiddos. They do it all the time and know how to go about moving kids.My son it 13 months and has had 2 haircuts
  • roomsuroomsu member
    Ours went well at 11 months, but the lady told us that it's often the second cut that is harder.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"