December 2012 Moms
Options

over tired crazies

How do you handle/discipline your LO's when being over tired leads to bad behavior or what I like to call the over tired crazies. It's like my normally 'well' tempered toddler turns crazy! I know it's normal toddler behavior but it's just too much sometimes. And I know putting him down for a nap or bed would sound like a great answer but that only works half the time, it usually results in screams. It's like he has 2 types of over tired; fun, giggly and cuddly where sleep is easy and then moody, mischievous, drive mommy up the wall where sleep is not an option unless I want to hear him scream, which I don't, I hate when he cries.

Tonight is moody and mischievous, we whined about everything, touched everything we know were not allowed to touch, hit me and my sister repeatedly and threw a nail clipper and block at my sister. This is not his usual behavior, he normally doesn't hit so I don't know how to handle him when he's over tired as horrible as that sounds. I just don't know what to do, and when I try telling him no, it doesn't phase him and he just keeps doing what he pleases. It's really rather infuriating.

Re: over tired crazies

• Options
    I usually hang out in the floor and look at books, watch a cartoon on the floor cuddling, take a bath, do an experiment like the corn startch and water one, stickers, coloring. If that doesn't work I just let her get it out.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our den is set up to be more or less a "no" free zone..there really isn't much she can get into that she isn't allowed to, so when she's in a mood, we go in the den and put the baby gate up and let her do whatever she wants....however, there are times when she doesn't like that idea or we aren't home...she gets into things she knows she's not supposed to, she is whiney, and tends to overreact to EVERYTHING. However, we treat her like we normally do- if she gets into something she's not supposed to, we take it/her away, if she's whiney, we explain that's not how we get what we want, if she pitches a fit (and let me tell you, the girl knows how to throw a good tantrum), we ignore it. I've found that trying to force her to go to sleep when she's in one of these moods isn't worth it- she will literally scream at the top of her lungs until she runs out of energy if you try and force it....she has to run her energy out on her own terms.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options

This was us today...both of LOs nap times were spent in the car, so he only had 2 35-min cat naps instead of 2 2-hr real naps. An out of town friend was visiting so we went to a museum. Then we visited his cousins. He was great all day, but was definitely overdone. It was way harder than it should've been getting him to sleep.

Wow, your LO takes two 2 hour naps. One 1.5 hour nap is the norm with DD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    @bloomraiser‌ - that's great for getting things done. I am a napper and DH is not and gave up his nap early as a child. I suspect DD takes after him. DH was commenting yesterday that he is not sure how he will get anything done if she stops napping. Her nap keeps getting pushed back later and later because she is not tired. She used to nap by 11, often earlier at home, and today it was 1:30 and she was still in a good mood when I finally decided to try to get her to sleep. She was up until 10 last night watching the fireworks and woke up at her regular time so I was very surprised that she wasn't tired earlier.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    LO gets more explorative/ less cautious when over tired. She will try to climb furnature, or do other things that are potentially dangerous, which earn her 1.5 min time out. One of us holds her (outward facing hug) while facing a boring wall. She usually cries and fusses thrpughout, but after it is over, we reiterate why she had time out and that we love her. Sometimes she'll go right back and do the dangerous thing again, and we go through the time out process again. After the third time out, she is usually ready to go to bed with me after exhausting herself during the final time out.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In the evening, when DD starts ramping up, is time for her bath. Generally, a change of scenery is the best way to divert a total melt down.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"