Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Recommendations on small SUV please??

KumpigaKumpiga member
edited June 2014 in Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Hi everyone,I have a 7 month old daughter and have a two door honda civic right and soon will need to get a new used car.Looking at 2010 ford escape or nissan rogue,anyone like or dislike these cars??thanks for any feedback

Re: Recommendations on small SUV please??

• Options
    I have an '08 Escape, and I'm very pleased with it. I've had it since '09.

HOWEVER--- I'm planning on looking for something bigger (most likely a minivan) when we have more kids. My Escape is great for a family of three, and I'm sure it could work for more but it would be tight.
  • Options
    VW tiguan

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friend has an escape and is finding it a tight fit for the car seat for extended rear facing.  We have a CRV and are really happy.  You can latch in all three backseat position and the size is good.  I really like the split level cargo space.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

I have a GMC Terrain and it's a nice size with decent fuel mileage (24-28 mpg). It has a good sized back cargo space and I like that the back bench seat slides to make more room.  Car seats fit well in the back, too. Very happy with it and would recommend it!

• Options
    @aditigirl me and you, eye to eye.  The Pilot is what we're considering as our next vehicle because it would be nice to have extra seating space as the kids get older and have friends around or if we want to take a family member with us someplace.

• Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    edited July 2014
    DH and I test drove and car seat fitted a number of small SUVs back in January.

We ended up with a Subaru Forester and love it. It's got enough room in the backseat to fit a carseat rear facing without the passenger being squished. It's got decent cargo room in the way back. Its comfortable to drive, and it gets awesome gas mileage. I regularly get 30 mpg.

The GMC Terrain has more room and was on my short list but DH didn't like the way it looked. The 4 cylinder version got over 25mpg which was the range we wanted the MPG in. 

The CRV was too small for DH. 

The Mazda CX5 was also too small for DH and really didn't have enough room in the back seat for a rear facing carseat. 

The Toyota Rav4 had tons of space in the back seat. The back seat slides forward and backward so it just takes away some cargo space. We just weren't excited by the way it drove.

Tiguans were too pricey and didn't get as good of gas mileage as we wanted.

The Escape was ok. It was a little tighter than we wanted in the back seat. It drove great, got the gas mileage we were looking for. But we tried out a Forester and liked that better. We actually liked the Edge better for space, but we were really concerned about reliability.

I loved how big the Pilot was, but the gas mileage didn't work for us. Also loved how big the Acadia/Equinox was, but again the gas mileage didn't work for us. This car commutes 60 miles a day so a fuel efficient car was important to us.

If we didn't buy a Forester we would have ended up with a Terrain or an Escape I think.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
    edited July 2014
    Also worth noting, the Rav4 is marketed as a five seater but it's a four seater.  You can't use all five belts in the back at the same time because they overlap.

• Options
    Thank you all so much for your feed back,I'm now looking more into the Cr V .The ratings are great and the size we are looking for:)
  • Options
    steelerbaby29steelerbaby29 member
    edited July 2014
    On my second Hyundai Santa Fe. Absolutely love my car. Bigger than the Escape and CR-V but smaller than the Chevy Traverse. My hubby and I are pretty tall and its very roomy in the front and back, but doesnt feel like a huge suv. Back seat folds completely down if needed and they are very dependable cars.
  • Options
    We just bought a Kia Sportage - w have a 6month old & lifting the carseat in & out our car was a pain - the Kia has great fuel consumption for a bigger car (28mpg) & is high enough that getting the baby in & out is easy! Also there's a ton of room between carseat & front seats!
  • Options
    I LOVE my ford edge! The back seat is spacious, so is the front. I have had it for 7 years with no plans on getting a new one. I haven't had any problems with it.
  • Options

I LOVE my ford edge! The back seat is spacious, so is the front. I have had it for 7 years with no plans on getting a new one. I haven't had any problems with it.

Love mine too! We got our 2012 edge when we started TTC and have loved it ever since! Great mid sized vehicle, I think it will be great for 2 kids after that we'll have to get something larger but for now DH and I couldn't be happier
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"