October 2014 Moms
Options

Weekly GD check in!

edited July 2014 in October 2014 Moms

This weekly check-in is for anyone with Gestational Diabetes, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, or other blood sugar issues during pregnancy.  If this is your first time posting, please let us know with a short intro.

New to GD?   Check here for a quick reference guide.  https://community.babycenter.com/post/a46582366/new_to_gd_quick_reference

Check In:   How is the diet going?  Any challenges that we can help out with?  Any new recipes/ successes that you want to share?  Rant/Vent about the lack of cookies?

QOTW:    Do you find yourself singing to your LO/bump?   If so, what are you singing?

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

Re: Weekly GD check in!

• Options

I still don't have my class until tomorrow for GD but I am already trying to get a hold of my glucose levels.

Check In:   How is the diet going?  Any challenges that we can help out with?  Any new recipes/ successes that you want to share?  Rant/Vent about the lack of cookies?

I haven't got the official diet from my hospital but DH found a sample diet online that I have been following since Saturday. 

I finally worked up the nerve to prick my finger (all you ladies were right, nbd) and tested.  Fasting level was 131 so I have some work ahead of me :( 

QOTW:    Do you find yourself singing to your LO/bump?   If so, what are you singing?

Sam Montgomery "Stay with Me" and John Legend "All of Me" 

• Options

I had both my class and follow up meeting with the dietitian this week.  Can't say that it was overly helpful, in truth (aside from getting my diet - which was pretty close to the generic one I found on line).  Of course, she disagrees with my endo about several things, but I am going with what my endo and OB are saying.  

Check In:   How is the diet going?  Any challenges that we can help out with? Any new recipes/ successes that you want to share?  Rant/Vent about the lack of cookies?    

Diet is going pretty well for me.  I actually find myself needing to keep crackers on hand to make sure that I am eating enough carbs during the meals!  My post meal numbers are all good but I can't get the fasting number down to under 95 - it likes staying around the high 90s.  Probably looking at going on a small dose of overnight insulin  when I meet with the Endo next week.  

Rant of the week:  So, DH is getting tired of eating the GD diet (despite his comments about it probably helping him and his pre-diabetes diagnosis).  On Friday, he decided that we wanted a pint of Ben and Jerry's at the grocery store.  Followed up by dessert on Saturday (that one was given to us by the restaurant due to them skipping our order and taking forever to get the food out to us - but he didn't send it back).  Then on Sunday, he argued with me over the carb count in sweet potatoes.  For some reason, he was convinced that the Boston Market Sweet Potatoes would be a lower count than the basic Mashed Potatoes.  All because 5 years ago he followed the low carb diet craze for about a month (before he got tired of it and quit) and had learned that Sweet Potatoes were better for you than regular potatoes, so therefore, I should be able to eat the super sweet (and loaded with sugar) Sweet Potato Cassarole.  Major eye roll on my part.  

QOTW:    Do you find yourself singing to your LO/bump?   If so, what are you singing?  I find myself singing along more to the radio - mostly contemporary Christian on Sirius.  Also, folk music from the 60's that I remember my Mom singing to me.  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited July 2014
    So seriously I didn't think this was totally possible but for the last week granted I am on glyburide I have ate pretty much exactly 30,45,45 and snack 20-30 (my recommendations from DT)

I have watched my numbers go way down. Before I was eating like 40,20,10,45

Just staying under my limit. The dietitian told me it has to be constant for your body to respond the best it can. I didnt believe her but it took the stress off eating because she said if it doesn't than it is safer to take medication for your baby than to "carb fix" your results and deprive them..

So instead if now having 2 of 3 high I have 1 every 2-3 days high.

Just a thought. I don't sing to the baby but I talk to him and tell him stories about how tired I am :)
  • Options
    Sockgnome78Sockgnome78 member
    edited July 2014
    Well to be honest. When I am sick. Checking my numbers is the last thing on my mind. So not sure how they have been running.
    I had been just trying to stay hydrated and barely eating. When I get sick I shut down.
    Now that I am wanting to eat I will start watching my numbers again.
    Dietician wants my to try carbonated flavored water instead of soda. (My one thing that I have not been able to kick). So will start to try that.
    Dietician wants my weight to stabilize or for me to start gaining. I talked it over with my OB and she said that she is not too worried about it. My diet completely changed from pre - pregnancy to pregnancy.

GTKY: I more like sing lullabies to the dog and ask if she would help me. Which in turn baby hears them. So in a sence yes.

ETA: @starla487 badge looks good on mobile. Although I can not make it any bigger to see.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hi there, I'm pregnant with twins and failed my first GD test and will take the 3 hour.  Not surprised as I failed my initial GD test with my DS, as well, and it being twins increases the chance.  No appointment set and I don't know much at all about diet changes, if I'm found to have it. Sounds like other posters here have lots of great info...

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    My current treatment plan is to give the Reglan another week or so to take effect so that my digestion is better regulated and then switch from glyburide to insulin. After one week on Reglan, my stomach function seems to be a little improved, but I still have crazy blood glucose swings. And my fasting numbers are still all over the place, despite increasing my nighttime glyburide dose. I really hope this plan works well so that I can get through this third trimester without having to worry as much about my preexisting health issues.

I usually just sing along to the radio or sing showtunes that get stuck in my head. I prefer to play opera loudly and let the professional singers entertain the boy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, @MRSclarke08!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

• Options

@Sockgnome78: I hope you feel better soon and @MrsL2B:  I hope you get it all worked out.

I went to my meeting with the nurse and the dietitian this morning and came away with some great information.  Yesterday I was using level 8 to stick today I am able to get enough blood at level 2!!  Much better.  My numbers are getting better but still are not where they need to be.

Feeling so much better about the gd gd!! 

• Options
    @lrobi13‌ Thanks.
    Glad you went to a lower setting. It hurts after a while. Glad to hear you got some good information.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    tamibattletamibattle member
    edited July 2014
    Hi All!

I had my 1 hour GD test last Friday at 25w3d and just received a call that my levels were borderline and I need to come in for a 3 hour test next week. I am completely freaking out now. Does failing the 1 hour test mean that I will fail the 3 hour and be diagnosed with GD? Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

This week was going pretty good until I received that call :-q

Thanks Ladies!!!

DH: 33 ME: 33 married: 4/24/2014 FTM expecting a baby girl

• Options
    Hi All!

I had my 1 hour GD test last Friday at 25w3d and just received a call that my levels were borderline and I need to come in for a 3 hour test next week. I am completely freaking out now. Does failing the 1 hour test mean that I will fail the 3 hour and be diagnosed with GD? Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

This week was going pretty good until I received that call :-q

Thanks Ladies!!!
    I don't think it is a guarantee.  I think lots of women fail the 1 hour and pass the three hour.  I only took a two hour test.
  • Options
    @tamibattle‌ No it does not mean you will fail the 3 hour. Just don't change your diet up before the test and just go in ready for it. You can do some research on GD.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just got the results from my 3 hr on Sat and while I haven't officially heard from the doctor's office, I at least know I have GD. I emailed my dr in one of those pitiful last ditch efforts (I ate reeeeally bad the day before the test! Maybe I should test again just to check?) and she very sweetly told me I was being nuts. I'm supposed to get a call from the nurses soon to find out what's next. Is "what's next" kind of standard procedure? It sounds like I should expect to take a class and test my blood on my own for a while? I've started to reeeeeally look at carbs the last two days and trying to start eliminating them, but so far meh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"