May 2014 Moms

What is wrong?!!!!

Every night for over a month now she starts at different times just crying, fussing, crying, fussing. It's loud, It's non stop. And there is nothing we can do. Rocking, sweet talk. I've gone straight to gas drops, which I know aren't always successful. She is on Zantac twice a day. She wakes up once in the middle of the night for feeding and fusses some more before going back down. This all ends around 1 a.m. but when it starts is always a mystery and very stressful because I'm anticipating it. There have been times where I have had to set her down and just cried with her. Luckily dh was home tonight (she was really bad this evening) and I just took the car for a 10 minute drive. Some nights are worse than others. Last night she was a gem. She is wonderful during the day. I don't eat any dairy. Shit, I hardly eat much at all with my ppd. Could this be colic? Is there anything I can try that doesn't require medicine because that's clearly not working. She will be 8 weeks on Wednesday. I want to add we try her paci around this time and she won't even accept it. I'm desperate.

It's a BOY

Re: What is wrong?!!!!

• gypsymysticgypsymystic member
    edited July 2014
    Sounds like night colic. My sister had it and my mom described it exactly like this. My sister's was so bad, the doctors apparently wanted to prescribe morphine to help her sleep... back in the early 90s, mind you but still seems extreme to me. She eventually outgrew it around 3 or 4 months.

Sorry I don't have any further advice or solutions. Hope things improve soon! FX.
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • Thank you. My older sister had colic too but my mom described it as just hysterical blue on the face crying. I was on the phone with her tonight and she suggested a few things because she thinks it's mild colic too :(.

It's a BOY

• Loading the player...
  • spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited July 2014
    My LO can be like this. Sometimes there is a reason (gas, congestion, overtired) but a lot of the time, there isn't. She is gaining weight and has enough soiled diapers so Doctor has said colic. It can be really frustrating and can definitely wear you down. Hang in there, mama!

We've tried gripe water, saline spray, and some tea (chamomile or fennel, a couple of small spoons that she can suck).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know you said no medication but Colic Calm is a life saver. The only draw back is it's black so it can get messy but I works really well!

• caycelee said:

I know you said no medication but Colic Calm is a life saver. The only draw back is it's black so it can get messy but I works really well!

This! It saved us and now we only have to give it every once in a while. It's all natural too. I also do probiotics. It really helps their digestive system. She's been doing really well on those but the colic calm works pretty quick. I will say it took about two times before I could tell. Yesterday she was fussing and crying and wouldn't sleep. She kept spitting up too so we gave her that and she fell asleep for 1 1/2 hours and then felt better.

• Sounds familiar. I stopped ALL dairy, coffee, and chocolate. We have a far improved baby now. I was convinced it could not be diet related because he was only fussy in the late afternoon and evenings but I ate dairy at all times. He was always good in the mornings... That was my excuse because I knew the diet would be hard. He is so much happier now that I can't even crave the banned food.
  • Time it, and start aiming to put her to sleep before it begins. My guy is seriously an angel. Never cries- ever. Then around 10 pm he gets fussy. If he's not asleep by 11, it escalates. So I aim to have him to sleep around 10 and it never happens if I'm disciplined.
  • Brooke does this at 530 every evening. She's exhausted because she's a short day napper. We moved up her bedtime routine (bath nurse swaddle calm soothe) to 6 and have avoided the fussy time altogether. It seems like such an early bedtime but she sleep til 2 am then until 7 so it works for us!
  • Hang in there mama. Someone else posted the link to info on the period of purple crying. You are pretty much describing it exactly. The good (but for the moment bad) news is that crying like this usually peaks at two months so you are going through the worst of it. Put her down and take breaks when you need them. Try a car ride or a walk when you can. Ask for help if you need a break. It will get it better - unfortunately it just takes time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• JAM85JAM85 member
    I also recommend baby probiotics. There is actually a lot of evidence now mounting that "colic" is really a result of issues with the gut and besides my own personal experience with using it and a colic-free baby I know all the moms I've talked to who have tried it have great success. I give her one serving in her bottle every night (she always gets at least on BM bottle at night) since 4 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • There is nothing wrong with setting her down and taking a time-out. Unfortunately, babies can sense fear, I kid, but they feed off your energy, so if you're frustrated it'll only get her more worked up.

I agree that it sounds like colic. It gets better, this doesn't last forever, I promise. Hang in there, you're doing a great job.

imageimageimage

• Try to go for a walk outside, this usually settles down most kiddos. Also, agree with trying to get her to go to sleep sooner.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @JAM85 I'm going to talk to her pedi about children's probiotic on Friday. Thanks for that suggestion.

I feel bad about walking away and letting her cry while I shower or do whatever because so many people tell me to "hold that baby!"

I definitely want to try the probiotic too and I'm reading up on the wonder weeks.

@CJPowers‌ I will put her in my wrap tonight and go for a walk because now that I think about it... The other night when she was "good" we had gone for a walk that night!

It's a BOY

• Thanks for all the wonderful support. I feel a lot better. In my head I know nothing is wrong and I should just go take a shower and calm down but then at the same time I'm thinking- if she has gas then she is in pain and needs me there to comfort her. Ugh

It's a BOY

• delatldelatl member
    My baby requires a hair dryer running and me bouncing on an exercise ball to calm down in the evening. Have you read the Happiest Baby on the Block? Lots of good tips about mimicking the womb in the first few months. White noise, swaddle, big movements, etc.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm glad you're talking to someone. This is a hard time no matter who you are and it's important to get that extra support if you feel like you're not coping well. I hope things get better for you and Scarlett!

Also wanted to second the recommendation for the exercise ball. That and climbing stairs really help soothe our DD when she's being fussy. Oh, and if you aren't familiar with The Happiest Baby on the Block, that dvd is worth checking out as well. The 5Ss have helped us a few times when all else has failed.
  • Oh, that's a good suggestion, you could try a white noise app.

imageimageimage

• Happiest Baby might help- you can get the DVD on iTunes or amazon. It's a book too but who the f has time to read. I'm sure my suggestions have been mentioned - white noise (radio between stations works), car ride with White noise, swaddle...bring her in the tub with you & float her around ...

But big hugs. That sucks :(
    BabyFruit Ticker

• White noise does not help. Swaddling does not help. The only thing she likes is her new swim but that only works during the day. We have tried it all. I'm going to try another walk tonight

It's a BOY

• I'll have to get that book too

It's a BOY

• JKBMA2014 said:
    @JAM85 I'm going to talk to her pedi about children's probiotic on Friday. Thanks for that suggestion. I feel bad about walking away and letting her cry while I shower or do whatever because so many people tell me to "hold that baby!" I definitely want to try the probiotic too and I'm reading up on the wonder weeks. @CJPowers‌ I will put her in my wrap tonight and go for a walk because now that I think about it... The other night when she was "good" we had gone for a walk that night!

Sounds like you're doing everything you should be. Hang in there and try not to listen to random advice to "hold that baby." It's absolutely okay to take 5 minutes to yourself when it gets bad. This shit ain't easy. Good luck tonight.
    Anniversary 
  • We walked and I took her I'm to the bedroom and dimmed the lights. I'm letting her comfort eat right now. She seems most calm in here. Thanks for the luck ladies I might need it! No dh tonight

It's a BOY

• Wishing you a calmer evening!
  • Sorry I have no advice but just wanted to throw some over the interwebs hugs your way. FX you get some calmer nights soon!

**Lighting a candle in memory of our angel babies and angel mama in heaven from May'14**
  • I'm glad the walk seemed to calm her down a little. Just curious what her sleep schedule is like? DS is super fussy if he stays up for more than 30 minutes after a feeding. I usually start actively trying to put him to sleep about 20 minutes after I feed him (bouncing on a ball, standing and bouncing him on my daughters trampoline gently, rocking chair, wearing him in carrier and bouncing, or putting him sideways with a pacifier in his mouth and squeezing him tummy to tummy). My friends and I call this the "baby go to sleep". If you wait too long it's so impossible to get them to fall asleep. One of the hardest things as a new mommy that I learned with my first was that it really is a full time job. You spend so much time feeding/burping/changing then you only get to play for a few minutes with them and then it's "baby go to sleep" time. It gets better though! And put that baby down, it is okay. Do you have a mobile? Put her in the crib with the mobile going for a few minutes. (I do this so I can get a quick 3 minute shower in). Good luck momma! U are doing great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CamrynnsMommyCamrynnsMommy member
    edited July 2014
    If she's having gas issues, I swear by peppermint tea. It's cheaper than gas drops and more effective, in my opinion.

I just steep a cup of water with a tea bag, then cool and add a couple drops to a bottle. I save the remaining tea for a few days and just add it to a bottle if she's gassy.

ETA: not a couple drops, but rather 1/2 tsp.

imageimageimage

• Someone told me to put a peppermint hard candy in her milk too. Sounds legit. I'll try that!

It's a BOY

• I can't remember who suggested it and it know you said white noise didn't help, but try Baby Got Colic from iTunes (see YouTube for a demo clip). I found it is a much better white noise than anything else I have tried.
    3/29/12 - Married my soulmate
    BFP #1 - 3/23/13 // EDD - 11/27/13 // M/MC - 5/3/13 // D&C - 5/4/13
    BFP #2 - 8/26/13 // EDD - 5/10/14 // Born 5/18/14

image    image    image

• I love peppermint tea for myself when I get tummy troubles. It's our go to in our house so I can only imagine some for LO would help.

If your BF don't drink it yourself. I read a lot peppermint messes with your supply.
  • Jensen was diagnosed with colic and she barely ever cries, just fusses. My doctor told me all babies show pain different and colic is normally a stomach issue. I def recommend probiotics, I've heard great things about Gerber Good Start probiotic drops. You can even put them on your nipple before you breast feed. I use the Gerber good start formula now and it's helped SO much! Good luck!
  • I hope you figured out a way to calm her. I've also wondered about the windi. It's by the same people that make nose Frida. I guess it's the same as the thermometer deal but we dot have a rectal thermometer and I wouldn't know how far to stick it in. Makes me nervous. Anyway I also suggest colic calm. We had a lot of rough days and nights of inconsolable crying and horrible blood curdling cries. I questioned if I had ppd. With Zantac, colic calm, happiest baby on the block and nightly baths I really feel like I have a new baby. I made no diet changes but I can't say that's not the case for you.

Do what works right now. This is survival mode and it should start to clear up soon. Just remember, don't take it personally. She is not rejecting you. This doesn't make you a bad or incompetent mom. Once we got things under control he and I are both new people an much happier.

Try:
    -colic calm
    -Gerber soothe probiotic (pedi recommended but didn't need it)
    -Zantac dosage increase?

imageimage

• @JKBMA2014‌ - just wanted you to know I feel for you! My daughter has had terrible colic and it's so hard. Everything that has somewhat worked for us has already been mentioned so nothing more to add for soothing suggestions. My son also had colic so I try to keep reminding myself that he got so much better around three or four months. Easier said than done some days. My daughter is 9 weeks this week and already I can tell she is starting to settle. I think we have made it over the peak and hopefully going on the downhill slide. Hang in there!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm happy things are looking up! Good job mommy!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• JKBMA2014 said:

Ever since she let out that big poop she has been a dream. She is still awake and it's almost 1 here but she's being so peaceful just looking around and smiling and playing with us. I hope this isn't a fluke. Maybe the walk and release of gas did the trick

Well colic in horses is gastric, so maybe that's what it really was, gastric discomfort. Glad to hear she's feeling happier now.
    imageimageimage

• So I just want to update. Still having problems at night. Even with rectal stimulation. I'm going to try gripe water after every meal instead of just a last resort and cross our fingers. The pedi said that is I want to try formula to try enfamil gentle ease. So I went out and bought a 4 pack of the 8. Already made formula. If the gripe water doesn't help.. I want to try the formula at night time only.. Like around 5 p.m and on, but I don't think that will really work. Should I just do a day of formula and see if it works? I really don't want to have to put her on formula full time just because she is a fussy, and stressful little human at night....

It's a BOY

• Some babies do just have a bad time of day. For some it's short. And for some it's long. And it sucks. DS can be fussy from as early as 630 to about 830. Like full on crying. DH usually takes him to walk around.

I'm realizing he's not tired by 7 as he used to be and doesnt want to cluster before falling asleep around 9 ish. Now He wants to be awake and in everyone's business. I've been adjusting his routine and adding more activities and I'm seeing a very different child. Less flighting sleep (although he still does, wants to be nosey). His mental abilities were surpassing what I was providing.

Just a thought. Maybe something routine wise? Or needing more stimulation to actually become tired? She ready for bed when you start bedtime routine?

I was reading too that some babies just fight sleep naturally and the drowsy phrase makes them fuss naturally. It's just something to ride out and improves with age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"