Parenting

WDPT - is this an imposition?

I'd love some thoughts on this.  I have an evening class on Thursday night, at 6:30p, so I'd have to leave the house around 6:10-6:15.  I usually pick DD up from daycare around 6p, and Dh doesn't get home til around 7.  

I asked one of my neighbors (we're close and watch each other's kids occasionally) if I could leave DD with her, and she's getting back to me soon.  As a backup, I have another neighbor I'm close with who I could ask, BUT she has 3 young kids already.  I've never asked about watching each other's kids, because I feel like adding one more to her mix is too much?  It would only be an hour or so, and DD gets along great with her boys so the kids would be entertaining each other.  

Would it be obnoxious for me to ask her to watch my kiddo?  She's too nice to say no unless she actually can't, but I don't want to impose.  I really want to take this class, since breastfeeding was a clusterfuck last time, and it's only offered once a month on Thursday nights so we'd always have the same problem.

DD1, born 4/10/11 at 32 weeks
Cooking #2 :)  Due 9/18/2014

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: WDPT - is this an imposition?

• LTMamaLTMama member
    Thanks!  I should have added that her kids are often still playing outside 'til around 7, so I think they do dinner etc late, but I'm not entirely sure.  She's too nice to say no, and I don't want to be a pain in the ass.

No family in the area at the moment who can jump in, unfortunately.  My parents have a place in town but are away for now.  I mean worst case, if my first neighbor can't do it, I'll just cancel the class and make do.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is it possible for your husband to get out of work early this one time?
  • Loading the player...
  • LTMamaLTMama member
    @bay511, honestly I don't think she'd say no, unless they're going to be away, but I don't want to be annoying.  

@sillygirl85, unfortunately no, he just started a new job and can't take any time off yet.  To the extent that he has a little bit of leave, he needs to save what he can for when this baby comes in a few months.

Thanks for all the opinions, ladies!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have three kids.  They are a bit older now (9,8, and 5).  I would take on one more for an hour.  I would have done it when they were younger.  I would probably just put on a movie and let everybody relax, finish dinner, and get on jammies.  Not a big deal for us.
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • MaebbMaebb member
    I only have 1 kid, so I'm maybe a bad one to give an opinion, but my opinion anyway is that I wouldn't mind watching another one for an hour if the other mom really needed help. I'm also not too strict about routines, mealtime, and bedtime.

But also, I'm assertive enough that if someone asked and it didn't work for us, I would just let them know. Is there any way you could ask but insist that the lady let you know if it's too much?
  • I would do it & have done it. Even if it was prime dinner time, whats one more, for one night, for one hour(ish). If i knew about it a day or so ahead of time I would just plan on things being a little more relaxed that night than usual.
  • ready-or-notready-or-not member
    edited July 2014
    I have no idea why the bump is posting all my stuff twice today, or how to delete a comment on mobile.

Stupid bump, act right!
  • Am I reading correctly that this class is one night a month? If so, absolutely I would ask, and stress to her that she can say no if she wants.
    image image
  • You don't say exactly how young the kids are. For me personally I have a 5, 8, and 7 month old and it wouldn't be a big deal.
  • LTMamaLTMama member
    Sorry for disappearing!  To answer the questions:

I should have mentioned ages.  Her boys are 8, 5, and 3, and my DD is 3.  She's buddies with the two younger ones and they play together well.  So no little babies involved here.  I suspect DD is the one with the earliest bedtime of the lot, since I try to have her in bed before 8 and sometimes the other kids are still outside then, if the weather is nice. 

And yes, it's a one-time class.  The hospital offers it monthly, but I don't plan to take it more than once!  I mentioned it being offered monthly to explain that it's always on Thursdays, there aren't weekend options or anything that would work better with DH's schedule. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • One time? Yes. Right now, I'd do it once a month. 2 years ago, I wouldn't have. My kid was super difficult and the thought of throwing another one at me makes me cringe. I'm camp it depends on the family's circumstances.
  • Oh, this is ONE time? Then sure, ask. I was assuming a reoccurring commitment. I stand by there's nothing wrong with someone saying no, though.
    I agree.  Even if the reason is that you just don't want to.

• Only a 1 time thing I would do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'd totally do it. If someone handed me their three year old for an hour I'd be over the moon. DD can not entertain herself at all but she loves friends.

I'm with rondack. Ask and offer pizza!
  • I would totally do it for a friend.  I have 4 kids and I think the fact that she has 3 would make her more used to a little chaos and I bet she wouldn't mind at all.  My mindset is usually "what is one more?"  And like PPs said, it will probably actually HELP her at dinnertime to have the kids occupied.  

For a friend, or even a neighbor that I don't know very well, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Not a big deal and I would hope somebody would do the same for me in a pinch.
  • LTMamaLTMama member
    Thanks for all the opinions, folks!  Bringing by pizza is a great idea, too, I'll do that.  I usually get home from work right when I need to pick up DD, but if I leave a little early I can grab some pizzas for them.  I like that a lot.

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • totally agree with @falconcrest
  • LTMamaLTMama member
    Update!  Fortunately, the first neighbor I asked can do it, so no need to trouble my other neighbor.  I'm still dropping off pizza with my kiddo, though, I really like that idea. 

Thanks again for all the input, everyone!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"