Natural Birth

"Precipitous" Natural Birth Story (FTM)

I'm a long time lurker who delivered DS in March. Just wanted to share my birth story for those who are considering the natural route.

I started my maternity leave a week before my due date and had my 39 week check up the next day. I was only 1 cm dilated and my doc said I had a 60/40 chance of delivering by my due date. The following day, I saw my acupuncturist and she hammered my induction points. She'd done this the week before so I partly didn't think it would make a difference. Lo and behold, that night I had my bloody show and started to lose my mucus plug. This was a Friday, and I was really happy that DH would be around the next two days in case something big happened.

No contractions on Saturday, except right before bed I noticed a lower backache that wouldn't go away. DH rubbed my back for a bit then I went to bed early. Had no problem sleeping (except for peeing every two hours, which was the norm by then).

Sunday I woke up with the same backache. After breakfast I mentioned to DH that it seemed to be coming and going in a pattern, so we started timing them. They were around 20 minutes, but erratic, so we didn't really think anything of it. Went about our day, walked the dog, went grocery shopping. I baked cookies and washed some baby clothes. Around noon I started feeling the contractions in my lower abdomen, so I lay down and watched Catching Fire. I could tell the contraction intensity was increasing because I was getting distracted and the screaming in the movie was starting to grate on me. :)

Around 4:30, DH was in the shower and I was watching Brooklyn 99 (my maternity leave binge watch) when a contraction put me on all fours on the carpet. I breathed through it and texted my doula that we were in early labor. She said to keep her updated as things moved along. I walked around between contractions and DH applied counter pressure on my lower back while I was on all fours during contractions. They were around 7 minutes apart when we stopped timing them for some reason. (I still have no idea why we stopped!)

At 7 pm I tried to eat some miso soup but threw it up during the next contraction. Our doula suggested I take a bath to try and slow things down and take a nap. I got in the bath while my in-laws came by to pick up our dog and give DH something to eat. I started zoning out in the tub listening to music, noticing the contractions were easier but not really slowing down.

I got into bed with some dry toast and watched the season finale of Girls on my iPad. I had to stop it with every contraction because I was shaking really hard and vocalizing to get through them. DH sat next to me and held my foot to let me know he was there. All of a sudden I heard a pop and felt a gush of fluid as my water broke. I yelled out "F*%&, my water broke!" and ran to the bathroom. It really felt like I'd wet the bed!

TMI alert! I labored on the toilet through a contraction and both threw up AND had diarrhea at the same time. (DH said he will forever remember the moment that I looked him in the eye from the toilet and slowly closed the bathroom door in his face.) Labor really escalated at that point. (I realize now that I was at transition then.) DH got our doula on the phone and she listened to a couple contractions. Apparently they were 2 minutes apart. She said she was coming right over. At this point I was on the floor, pants less, leaning on a chair and moaning through contractions.

Our doula arrived and told DH to pack the car to head to the hospital. She coached me through a couple contractions, telling me to open my mouth more as I moaned and I could really feel everything opening more as I did it. I suddenly had the urge to push and was grunting after each contraction. She asked me if I was pushing and I told her I was trying not to. When DH got back up from packing the car, she told him it was a good idea to call 911 because I might have the baby on the drive to the hospital! (Our intended hospital was about 15-20 minutes away.)

So DH called 911 and they sent an ambulance. The paramedics checked if DS was crowning (he wasn't), then walked me downstairs. I was REALLY hoping they'd put me on a gurney and wheel down those 3 flights, but sadly no. I didn't even want to put on pants and shoes at that point. I was tired! They asked me not to push until I got to the hospital, so I used all my strength to keep DS in until we arrived.

We got to the hospital (not my intended one, btw, but thankfully a really good one for L & D) and I was rushed through the ER and up to L & D. I was in laborland at this point, aware of my surroundings but totally focused on the contractions.

When we got to the delivery room, I asked if I was complete and the midwife laughed. She reached down and touched DS's head and said he was right there. Time to push! They insisted that I push on my back, which I really did not want to do. They got out the labor bar which helped but I still resisted. My doula looked me in the eyes, told me this was how DS would be born and it would all be ok. That made a huge difference, and I felt at peace. I pushed for about 10 minutes, felt the ring of fire, rallied for one final push and he was out! They immediately put him on my chest and he started screaming and peeing at the same time! DH and I were bawling and just shocked that he was finally here.

We had skin to skin while I delivered the placenta and they stitched me up. They gave me pain meds before the stitching (I had a 2nd degree tear) but that was honestly so difficult to get through. I couldn't wait until that was done. DS nursed right away and we stayed skin to skin until they moved us to the post partum room (about 5 hours). I stood up after a couple hours to use the bathroom and stretch. My tailbone hurt a ton because of pushing on my back. So happy I was able to move freely right away. DS was 8 lbs 10 oz and 21 inches.

They dubbed my labor "precipitous," though I guess I'd really been laboring all day. I just kept thinking it would be a) more painful and b) take much longer! Because it was so fast and without complications, I don't know what It would be like to go natural for a longer or harder labor. I will say that staying home definitely made me more comfortable and I think kept things humming along. Now that I know what labor is like, next time I just won't wait quite so long. :)

It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but also the most rewarding. But most importantly, I was never suffering. If you are suffering through labor, I think you should be compassionate towards yourself and find whatever relief you can, including medication. Just be open to the experience and trust your instincts.

Best of luck, future mommas! Remember: birth is hard work, it hurts a lot, and you can do it!

Re: "Precipitous" Natural Birth Story (FTM)

• Congratulations and great job, mama!  I completely agree about the hard work vs. suffering distinction.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• jmknoxjmknox member
    Good job!!! Congrats and agreed... It is hard work and it hurts but nothing our bodies can't handle. Plus the high afterwards is amazing :)
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"