October 2014 Moms
Options

Registry Questions (Stroller, Carseat, etc.)

So, my mom is on me to ADD MORE STUFF MORE MORE MORE. I told her I have 162 items on my registry. There are two things over $100, and everything else is either $50 (maybe 3 things) or $25 and under. Her guest list is 100 people. That is PLENTY on my registry. She says to register for 25 wash cloths. No. I keep saying no one is even going to look at the thing, they will buy what they want anyway, and even if they do, I'll keep an eye on it and add more things, but I don't want stupid things on there just to be stupid.

ANYWAY. That vent aside, she wants me to put a stroller and a carseat after the infant carseat.

1) I'm getting a Snap n Go from a friend, so I won't need a stroller until 9/12 months or so (when baby grows out of the infant carseat). BUT. If I MUST put a stroller on there, can someone recommend a cheaper one? I will NOT register for anything over $100 for this. We are not travelers. We do not go to the mall. We will maybe go to the zoo once a month or something. That is it. I will REALLY be surprised if it gets used more than once a month. I'm a runner, but I will run my miles on a treadmill at home. I do NOT need something fancy. MAYBE my MIL would take the baby for a walk or something when she watches her, but I feel like that's doubtful.

2) I feel like registering for a carseat for after the baby grows out of the first one is unwise. Is it?

TL;DR Version: I bolded things for you. My mom is making me register for shit, and I want to make sure this is normal and/or get recommendations.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Registry Questions (Stroller, Carseat, etc.)

• Options
    Maybe an umbrella stroller? I have a Chicco one that I like for short trips.
    I think registering for the NEXT carseat, etc is tacky. Just my opinion.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• Options
    MuffinMom14MuffinMom14 member
    edited July 2014
    Maybe an umbrella stroller? I have a Chicco one that I like for short trips.
    I think registering for the NEXT carseat, etc is tacky. Just my opinion.
    I do, too. I REALLY do. Plus, things could change in the year or more that it takes this baby to grow out of the first one. I feel weird registering for anything you'd need after the first year. She also wants me to register for a potty chair.

I was looking at this (it says 6 mo and up): https://www.target.com/p/the-first-years-ignite-stroller/-/A-14487893#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=The+First+Years+Ignite+Stroller+
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

It sounds like an umbrella stroller will be plenty for your needs. I haven't used this one personally but the First Years Ignite and the First Years Jet stroller have good reviews on Amazon (links below) and are both under $100.

And you are right, registering for a convertible car seat (which is used after the infant seat is outgrown) is unwise - all car seats have expiration dates on them and if you buy the convertible too early, you would lose a year of use for it.

I don't know what you have on your registry but have you considered registering for things that go in the baby medicine cabinet? Things like gas drops, gripe water, nose frida, baby Tylenol, baby vicks, diaper rash cream, Vaseline (useful if you are having a boy and plan to circumcise).

Do you have bigger items that you are planning to buy but just are not putting on your registry? Things like a baby monitor, pack n play etc.? I wouldn't necessarily leave them off - some people could chip in and get a larger item. Totally up to you though, if you feel uncomfortable putting larger items on the registry.

https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Ignite-Stroller/dp/B002WB2GAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404741460&sr=8-2&keywords=umbrella+stroller

https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Stroller-City/dp/B002WB2G9I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404741460&sr=8-5&keywords=umbrella+stroller

• Options

I don't think it is a bad idea to register for the car seat you want after the infant seat. If nobody buys it, you can still use your completion coupon to get a discount! You will need it anyway, and it will appease your mom.

I don't have any suggestions on a stroller.

• Options
    ss265 said:

It sounds like an umbrella stroller will be plenty for your needs. I haven't used this one personally but the First Years Ignite and the First Years Jet stroller have good reviews on Amazon (links below) and are both under $100.

And you are right, registering for a convertible car seat (which is used after the infant seat is outgrown) is unwise - all car seats have expiration dates on them and if you buy the convertible too early, you would lose a year of use for it.

I don't know what you have on your registry but have you considered registering for things that go in the baby medicine cabinet? Things like gas drops, gripe water, nose frida, baby Tylenol, baby vicks, diaper rash cream, Vaseline (useful if you are having a boy and plan to circumcise).

Do you have bigger items that you are planning to buy but just are not putting on your registry? Things like a baby monitor, pack n play etc.? I wouldn't necessarily leave them off - some people could chip in and get a larger item. Totally up to you though, if you feel uncomfortable putting larger items on the registry.

https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Ignite-Stroller/dp/B002WB2GAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404741460&sr=8-2&keywords=umbrella+stroller

https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Stroller-City/dp/B002WB2G9I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404741460&sr=8-5&keywords=umbrella+stroller

That stroller (bolded) is the one I was thinking about! I just don't get why some are over $300, when this one seems fine for $70. Am I missing something ridiculous?

We found a Pack n Play** at a consignment shop for $35, so that is taken care of, and a friend gave me her video baby monitor and a regular one, plus we have a webcam we can use on our phones. I just think my mom wants me to register for ALL EXPENSIVE THINGS, but there really ISN'T anything that expensive, other than the carseat (I went cheapest I thought would work for us), crib (again, cheapest), and dresser (matched). And those are already bought (by my mom and MIL). I don't need a rocker--I have one that was my dad's (he passed away a few years ago).

I guess I don't feel the need to register for huge ticket items just because I can. The only things on there that are over $100 are the carseat and a rocker, that IS more expensive than I'd like, but I liked that it rocks both ways, and I compromised on that to begin with -- I wanted the rockaroo, but I couldn't justify $200 for that. Just no.

I just have this huge hang-up about receiving presents anyway. I feel so bad putting expensive things on there. Part of her thing is she knows my husband's aunts will go together on things and so will my mom's coworkers, but if they want to do that, they can still get $200 worth of small things that are still necessary. I don't understand.

Oh, and yes, I've got some medicine cabinet related things on there, too, but I'll look at your list up there compared to mine. I think I got it all on there. But I'll check.

**I was thinking about registering for a second Pack N Play, just to keep at my MIL's house so we don't have to lug it back and forth, but registering for doubles seems dumb. I don't even know if we'll use the first one a ton. She's trying to get me to do that, too.
  • Options
    apk4 said:

I don't think it is a bad idea to register for the car seat you want after the infant seat. If nobody buys it, you can still use your completion coupon to get a discount! You will need it anyway, and it will appease your mom.

You bring up a good point about the completion discount, but still, I feel like carseats expire, so getting something I can't use for a year might not be a great idea.
  • Options
    starla487 said:
    I don't know about a toddler car seat... What if the one you pick gets re-designed in a year and no longer meets safety standards?
    Exactly my point to her!
  • Options
    We registered for one convertible car seat.  DD was in it by 6 months old.  We did not register for an infant car seat, because we already had one handed down to us, though.

I don't see any reason not to throw that stuff on there - sometimes people want to buy group gifts (our CityMini came from a group of 6 of my mom's girlfriends), and you'll need it anyway, so you might as well use the completion coupon to get it if no one buys it for you.

I agree about adding crap like washcloths just to add something, though.  Don't put crap on there that you don't honestly want or need.

• Options
    Car seats do expire. I would not register for the next car seat after the infant seat. You will want to test them out and see what works best for your car/child at that time. In addition, Some infants last at least a year in the infant seat. That is a long time to miss out on using the next level car seat. Especially since some of the convertibles now can be used for so long. Ours is up to 40lbs RF and 65lbs FF.  Our son will probably be able to use it for at least 3-4 years.

If you need to add other stuff have you considered a high chair/booster seat if you don't already have one?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Another vote for the Ignite. It's a really great travel stroller and is so much sturdier and more comfortable to push than a $20 cheapo. And I too have no idea what a $150 Maclaren stroller has that the Ignite doesn't.
  • Options
    I guess I would pick a couple of things you'd pick if money weren't an option... Like a nicer umbrella stroller for later (the vue looks awesome) or a new pack and play for you, so you can leave the hand me down at your moms.

Some people like to feel like they're getting you something you'll use more than an outfit the baby will grow out of fast. I definitely don't NEED everything on my registry... It's ok to register for things you wouldn't spend the money on yourself. You'll probably enjoy them if you get them.
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

Regarding stroller pricing, can you check them out in the store to see if you think the price difference warrants a $300 stroller? FWIW, I have a BJCM GT which I paid close to $300 for and our lifestyle is very similar to yours. We use our stroller maybe once every two weeks, if that. I loved that stroller though and it is super easy to fold, smooth to push etc. In my mind, it's kind of like the price difference between a Honda Civic and a BMW. They both accomplish the same things but you get a few more features with the more expensive stroller.

Like PP said, don't feel pressured to add items, if you don't want them or need them. I know people usually recommend against adding clothes but in your situation, it might not be a bad idea to add some clothes you like and see if anyone gets them. Other ideas for when your child is slightly older would be baby dishes, table placemats, bibs, high chair, books (you can never have enough books), baby spoons, diapers in larger sizes (nothing more than size 3). Feel free to PM me the details of your registry (totally not a big deal if you are not comfortable), I will be happy to take a look and see if I think of anything else.

• Options

ss265 said:

Regarding stroller pricing, can you check them out in the store to see if you think the price difference warrants a $300 stroller? FWIW, I have a BJCM GT which I paid close to $300 for and our lifestyle is very similar to yours. We use our stroller maybe once every two weeks, if that. I loved that stroller though and it is super easy to fold, smooth to push etc. In my mind, it's kind of like the price difference between a Honda Civic and a BMW. They both accomplish the same things but you get a few more features with the more expensive stroller.

Like PP said, don't feel pressured to add items, if you don't want them or need them. I know people usually recommend against adding clothes but in your situation, it might not be a bad idea to add some clothes you like and see if anyone gets them. Other ideas for when your child is slightly older would be baby dishes, table placemats, bibs, high chair, books (you can never have enough books), baby spoons, diapers in larger sizes (nothing more than size 3). Feel free to PM me the details of your registry (totally not a big deal if you are not comfortable), I will be happy to take a look and see if I think of anything else.

Regarding your second paragraph, I have all of that on there already. I feel like I'm missing something huge. I just can't come up with anything I REALLY feel necessary. I'll PM you. I think I'm doin' it wrong.
  • Options
    Car seats do expire. I would not register for the next car seat after the infant seat. You will want to test them out and see what works best for your car/child at that time. In addition, Some infants last at least a year in the infant seat. That is a long time to miss out on using the next level car seat. Especially since some of the convertibles now can be used for so long. Ours is up to 40lbs RF and 65lbs FF.  Our son will probably be able to use it for at least 3-4 years.

If you need to add other stuff have you considered a high chair/booster seat if you don't already have one?
    Yup, we have an inexpensive high chair (the type that goes onto the regular kitchen chair) on there.

I'm going to stand firm on not putting the carseat on there (after the infant one). To be honest, I felt bad putting the carseat on there. Shouldn't that be our responsibility? I just feel really weird about this whole deal. Like, I registered for my wedding shower, but it was obvious that I didn't NEED anything on there. "Here's a butter dish." Not, "Here is a toilet, you need one to function."
  • Options
    Our DD was in her convertible car seat at around 6 months. I was sick of lugging the heavy infant seat around. We didn't register for the convertible because we had a small shower but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't put it on there and I've seen other people do the same. I don't think putting something on a registry means you are expecting someone to buy it for you or makes you sound greedy. There was nothing specific about our child that affected our decision regarding which seat to buy.

It is over $100, but we like or Britax b-agile stroller.

Did you register for a baby carrier?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    JessAnnJ said:
    Our DD was in her convertible car seat at around 6 months. I was sick of lugging the heavy infant seat around. We didn't register for the convertible because we had a small shower but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't put it on there and I've seen other people do the same. I don't think putting something on a registry means you are expecting someone to buy it for you or makes you sound greedy. There was nothing specific about our child that affected our decision regarding which seat to buy. It is over $100, but we like or Britax b-agile stroller. Did you register for a baby carrier?
    I actually got two from a friend. I just feel like I'm getting all the stuff that would have been bigger ticket items already!

I also feel like I'd be fine with that if I saw someone's registry and it was all small things. I'd feel awesome because I could buy 5 things instead of one. But my mom is not sharing this sentiment.
  • Options
    apk4 said:

This! It is a registry, but it is also a wishlist for me. I don't expect anyone to buy it for me. I expect I'll remember which one I decided on even less.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    Everyone has really made great points. Yes, register for a convertible carseat!   And yes, register for the chicco umbrella light weight, especially if you travel!    I don't think I saw this on there, but put feeding spoons, kids bowels,Kid plates, sippy cups.  It is completely normal to register for everything you can think of for the first year!  I didn't get a lot of help, I am so glad my friend and family got stuff i didn't register for.  Gas Drops by far was the most helpful I hadn't thought about registering for.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

SPurp13 said:

ss265 said:

Regarding your second paragraph, I have all of that on there already. I feel like I'm missing something huge. I just can't come up with anything I REALLY feel necessary. I'll PM you. I think I'm doin' it wrong.
    Having seen your registry, I can assure you that you are not doing it wrong. That is a pretty exhaustive list you have there. Just tell your Mom that you are comfortable with what is on there and people can always resort to buying you gift cards if they run out of things to buy. :)

• Options

We have this one : https://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Ignite-Stroller/dp/B002WB2GAM/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1404748525&sr=1-1&keywords=first+years+stroller and I really like it. Lightweight and has a cool flexible cup/stuff holder. The basket is a little small, and not super convenient.. but it works well for us.

As for the second seat, make sure you do your research before adding one. Consider your vehicles for sizing, do you take road trips or long drives, cup holders, price vs how long it can be used for. Cup holders were really important for us, where size didn't matter so much. I also wanted a seat that would be the last seat I'd have to buy (meaning breaks down into a booster and goes to 100lbs).

Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One more suggestion for something to add.  Maybe a nice diaper bag. I really wish I had splurged on a good one the first time around.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    One more suggestion for something to add.  Maybe a nice diaper bag. I really wish I had splurged on a good one the first time around.

We have one already (we found a great deal on Woot).
  • Options
    starla487 said:

If your mom is itching for more expensive things, what about a nice camera or camcorder?

A camera on a baby registry?

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Tell your mom to take a chill pill. Minimalism isn't a sin.
    And I wouldn't call a 160+ registry list minimal. She needs to chill!
    Indeed she does.

Even IF every single person attends the shower (100 people) there is plenty to choose from. And we all know maybe 30% of people will actually look at the registry at best. So, I don't know what her problem is.
  • Options
    starla487 said:

ADH0906 said:

starla487 said:

If your mom is itching for more expensive things, what about a nice camera or camcorder?

A camera on a baby registry?
    Just throwing out ideas as the typical kid stuff seems to be accounted for.
    If all kid stuff is accounted for, I think the registry is finished. Call me old fashioned, but I would side-eye a registry with electronics on it. *shrug*

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    This is my struggle. My mom wants the password so she can add stuff she thinks I need. I just don't want a bunch of crap.
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    162 items on your registry and 100 people on the guest list. This shower sounds completely insane!!!! b-(
    It is. I'm not pleased, but this is her last thing. After this, I'm done letting her get her way. What's she going to do, plan my kid's birthdays? Nope. I'll do what I want after this. This can be her last hoorah.

The kicker is that she treated my bridesmaids so poorly during the wedding shower that she doesn't want their help now and they don't want to help her. So, basically, she keeps emailing/calling me every day telling me what else I need to do for my own shower. I snapped and said "I'm a graphic designer. I will make signs and invitations. That is all. I will NOT be contacting the cake person, I will NOT be making centerpieces, I will NOT be buying prizes for games, and I will NOT be coming up with games" (these are all things she wants me to do.

Basically all she wants to do is address and send invitations.

I said if she wants this big shower, she has to do the work, because she is the host, or she needs to answer when my friends and MIL DO offer to help (they have), and I BEGGED her not to do this to begin with. I did not need a shower. I certainly do not WANT a big shower. But with her, it's better to just let her do it (I WANT to believe it comes from a good place, like she wants to do this for me, and not what is in the back of my head--that she just wants the attention--because she's said "I have to invite so-and-so, they invited me to their kid's stuff (I DO NOT KNOW SO-AND-SO).").
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"