Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

1 month old schedule?!

Hello I have a 1 month old and was curious if anyone has a schedule with their little one for eating and sleeping?! We seem to just go with the flow! Was not sure if I should be more on a schedule! Thanks!!!!

Re: 1 month old schedule?!

• Options
    MizooMizoo member
    We eat whenever A is hungry and sleep whenever she is tired.  I think 1 month is too early to be on a schedule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thats what i thought but was not sure... we are sleeping in the rock n play by my bed.. and we just go with the flow of how baby feels... feed when hungry and sleep when tired.. thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started a schedule for DS at 3 weeks and DD last week at 2 weeks. We follow the Moms on Call schedule and it works for us.
  • Options
    thats what i thought but was not sure... we are sleeping in the rock n play by my bed.. and we just go with the flow of how baby feels... feed when hungry and sleep when tired.. thanks!
    This is exactly what I'm currently doing with my 6.5 week old baby.
  • Options
    flclflcl member
    While I always fed LO on demand, I drove myself nuts thinking that I was building bad habits by not having him on some sort of schedule (I still fall into that trap sometimes).  Once I realized that having an infant so young on a schedule was an unrealistic expectation, things got a lot less stressful.  I would just watch his cues.  We have a routine now, but no strict schedule.  
  • Options
    Nope!  Although I never do a schedule.  We develop a routine naturally but I'm much more of a go with the flow - and baby's cues - parent.
  • Options
    Definitely too early to worry about a schedule. DD is 11 weeks and she is slowly starting to develop a loose schedule of her own. You can always start routines but I wouldn't worry about a schedule yet.

• Options
    We have been just going with the flow, but are starting a schedule today.  I took DS to the dr a few hours ago for really bad reflux and she recommended that we start doing 2oz for every 2hrs.  She said this would keep DS gaining but never with an overly full belly.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm not great at saying 'no' to my preemie when it comes to food after fighting the feeding battle in the NICU. 
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • Options
    flcl said:
    While I always fed LO on demand, I drove myself nuts thinking that I was building bad habits by not having him on some sort of schedule (I still fall into that trap sometimes).  Once I realized that having an infant so young on a schedule was an unrealistic expectation, things got a lot less stressful.  I would just watch his cues.  We have a routine now, but no strict schedule.  
    i'm in the same boat with LO now.  i don't have a schedule at all, especially with bedtime or anything. i keep worrying that i'm creating "bad habits" but for now i've decided to just go with the flow and look for her cues and some sort of routine with bedtime and bath time. i'm hoping everything will just fall into place when i go back to work...

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • Options
    QT3.14QT3.14 member
    Lo turned 1 month yesterday and seems to have a pretty consistent routine. I use the Baby Tracker app to track feedings and diaper changes. During the day she eats every 2.5 hours. She wakes up on her own to eat and its almost like clockwork. In the evenings she eats about once an hour from 6 to 9 pm then goes to sleep. At night she sleeps 5 hours then eats and then 4 hours then eats. I change her after every feeding.
  • Options
    I have my 4 week old on a schedule, kind of. He is a very sleepy baby so I have to wake him up for feeds most of the time. I feed him every three hours, unless he signals that he is hungry sooner. It seems logical to me to feed a hungry baby, even when it's not on schedule.

I am going to try to stretch it to 4 hours at night so there's only one midnight feed instead of two. But again, if he wakes up and wants to eat, I'll gladly feed him.
  • Options
    She's EBF, so she feeds on demand. Mostly she sleeps when she wants, but we do have a nap and bedtime routine that is flexible. She usually naps from 11-2 every day and then a short one at about 4. She's usually in bed by 9 every night where she'll go 3-5 hours before her first MOTN feed.

• Options
    I have been overthinking this so much lately. LO turned 1 month yesterday and I'm trying to establish a bit of a schedule because I go back to work in 2 weeks. I know I'm being unrealistic, but I want to keep some sort of consistency. DH struggled with him last night, he just wouldn't go to sleep (he handles the midnight feeding). I tried as well around 1:30, ended up putting him in the Swaddle Me and that did the trick. He just didn't want to go to sleep, wasn't fussy, just squirmy. He finally did around 2:30am and slept til 8am!! He had to be so tired, he didn't nap right this weekend because of visitors and stuff going on.

Trying this week for a 4 hour eating schedule during the day, and night if necessary, but hoping for 5-6 hour sleeping span at night if possible. Just stay positive and don't stress:) 

• Options
    flclflcl member
    I have been overthinking this so much lately. LO turned 1 month yesterday and I'm trying to establish a bit of a schedule because I go back to work in 2 weeks. I know I'm being unrealistic, but I want to keep some sort of consistency. DH struggled with him last night, he just wouldn't go to sleep (he handles the midnight feeding). I tried as well around 1:30, ended up putting him in the Swaddle Me and that did the trick. He just didn't want to go to sleep, wasn't fussy, just squirmy. He finally did around 2:30am and slept til 8am!! He had to be so tired, he didn't nap right this weekend because of visitors and stuff going on.

Trying this week for a 4 hour eating schedule during the day, and night if necessary, but hoping for 5-6 hour sleeping span at night if possible. Just stay positive and don't stress:) 
    You said it yourself, putting a one month old on a schedule is pretty unrealistic.  Are you EBF?  If so, trying to get LO on a 4 hour eating schedule already may mess with your supply and may cause you to have more MOTN feedings.  For us that early on, we had better luck getting LO to sleep longer stretches when we fed on demand.  Also, swaddles are your friend.  Use them until you can't anymore.
  • Options
    caballablancacaballablanca member
    edited August 2014
    I've seen if you just go with the flow, baby will develop their own schedule. Feeding on demand will start to occur at the same times every day, as well as naps. Once you get the pattern you can try offering boob/bottle 15 mins earlier and see if that way they get more during the day and eventually drop the night feedings. With my last LO at around 2 months, she would go 5-6 hrs at night before needing to feed doing that.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    edited August 2014
    We did the EASY routine that young. 
    E - Eat
    A - Activity
    S - Sleep
    Y - Your time

I never denied him extra feedings if he wanted them though, nor did I deny him a nap if he preferred to Eat then Sleep. That's as close as we got to a schedule that young. Now he's on a flexible schedule but we didn't get there until almost 6 months.

We also started very early on doing a bedtime routine and chose a consistent bedtime. The routine was very simple. Bath or cleanup, fresh diaper, jammies, bottle, bed. That young I used to read him a couple board books but now we do board books as part of play time.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"