Pittsburgh Babies
Options

Paying a Babysitter

How much would/do you pay a babysitter for an infant? What about an infant and a toddler?

DS is 3 and we have never had a babysitter besides a family member until this coming Saturday. We are leaving DD, who is 2 months, with a babysitter while we take DS out for a few hrs, and we aren't sure how much to pay her. I asked her what her going rate is and she very politely told me she was okay with whatever. We would like to leave both kids with her at some point to get in a date night or two, also.

I don't remember what I was even paid when I babysat a million years ago, so please enlighten me with what is a good rate, without breaking the bank, now a days. TIA :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Paying a Babysitter

• Options
    asm07asm07 member
    I would say it depends on how many years of experience the babysitter has, and what you expect her to do while she's there. I was a babysitter and then nanny for many years. While caring for the kids was my top priority, I also always made sure the kitchen/dishes were cleaned up, baths were given, and toys were put away. The parents appreciated my extra efforts and paid accordingly. Infants and toddlers require more care and attention than older children, so keep that in mind too. From what I heard from a few other moms in the area $10/hr seems to be the going rate, maybe a couple dollars more if you have several children. If you can find a great babysitter who you trust and who your kids love, it's worth paying the extra money in my opinion.

I'm not sure how accurate this calculator is, but you could try it to get an idea.

https://www.care.com/babysitting-rates

Enjoy your date nights! :-)
  • Options
    Thanks for your response! She's a very responsible college senior and I've known her family for a few years. I'll check out the calculator, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've used that calculator before, too, just to double check my numbers.

We have a 2.5-year-old and twin 13-month-olds and I'm 7 months pregnant.   We actually hire 2 babysitters to be able to go out just because the kids are so young.    We pay $15/hour to each babysitter.... so that's $30/hour total.   When the new one arrives in Sept, we will still only pay $15/hour because they'll each take on 2 kids.... so if you break it down, that'll be $15/hour for either an infant and a toddler or 2 15-month-olds.   I think that's a very fair rate.   We also require our sitters to clean up, put away dishes, do laundry, sweep the kitchen floor, sterilize toys, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"