Toddlers: 24 Months+

Almost 3 y/o DD - Emotional & Very Attached to Mommy...Need Advice

DD will be 3 in September.  She is in full time in-home daycare and overall does very well.    She is however pretty emotional & dramatic and I'm not sure if this is just a girl thing or not.  My 1st is a boy and was not like this at all.   She is also very, very attached to me.  She wants me to do everything for her - get her in & out of car seat, bath, bedtime, feed her, push stroller, etc etc.  If daddy goes to do any of these things she screams.  I have since her birth done the majority of everything for her.  Hubby and I just basically divided the duties, I was on DD and her was on DS.   This just worked for us.  So now, almost 3 years later I think we are paying for it.   And I continue to do everything just because it's easier.   We are crunched for time with work and everything else.
So I guess my question is, are there any other LO's that are pretty emotional/dramatic?  How do you handle? 
Any any other LO's that are attached to either Mommy or Daddy?  Any advice to break this?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Almost 3 y/o DD - Emotional & Very Attached to Mommy...Need Advice

• aglennaglenn member
    My DD is like this.  She is the older of our two so we really were forced to do something once DS arrived.  She was 2.5 at that point.  We actually began while I was still pregnant because I didn't want her to blame DS for things changing, but anyway...like the prior poster said we just started taking turns between DH and myself.  She hated it at first and still doesn't love it, but once it became routine and was not up for debate she got used to it well enough.  I think it's important both for my DD and my DH that they form that bond, too, so while I am generally a choose-your-battles type this is one I was willing to push.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it is just a phase and in sorry for saying this cliche but you will miss this phase. Read on : https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5489301?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We've struggled with our daughter being extremely attached to me and not wanting my husband to do things for her. When it's just the two of them, things go fairly well, but if we're all home, she throws a fit when he tries to do bath, read bedtime stories, etc. A lot of what we've read on the subject says that it's a phase, but she's almost 2.5 and it's been this way her whole life. I think we contributed to the problem because I've done the majority of her care. It's been especially tough for my husband who is now paranoid that his relationship with our daughter is doomed. Ugh...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD was like that as well, largely because I have done most of her care since she was born (including BF) because I only work 3 mornings a week and DH works long hours. I know it was very frustrating at times for DH. Things are much better now (she just turned 4) and even though there are still things she prefers me to do she loves spending time with her daddy now. I'm trying to remember when this started getting better and I want to say between 2.5 and 3. We really didn't do too much different it was just something that happened naturally. So I think it is fine to try and push the issue a little, but I also think it will improve on its own. Dd has alway been very attached to me (and started with stranger anxiety really early). And even though DH has alway loved DD to pieces he is not really a baby stage person. He loves babies but I think he just does better with the older stage when they get to be more fun and do things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ludy84Ludy84 member
    It is a phase def. I think... It was the same with my son, my husband couldn't get him to sleep but it just improved on its own as he kept up doing it more and it is a little stinging the first time he says no daddy but me beddytime...but it quickly flips when I get a bit of me time before my bedtime hahah...
  • ChelsiAnn13ChelsiAnn13 member
    edited July 2014
    My DD will be three august 20th and has been pretty emotional and clingy lately too. Maybe it's also a phase? But my LO will also want nothing to do with me too (all at the same time it seems like). So I think my problem is a bit more behavioral. Lets hope it is just a phase! Good luck, sorry I have no advice.
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
  • We go back and forth.  For a long time it was all mommy-mommy-mommy.  Then around 2 it switched to Daddy-daddy-daddy.  About a month ago it reverted back to mommy-mommy-mommy. 

We pick battles, so if it's something we can accommodate, we do.  (Like when he only wanted daddy to get him from the crib, which was also a nice break for me!)  But obviously that's not always the case.  And he's not always a happy camper about it.  But that's life. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"