Trouble TTC
Options

So...I'm not married

I had my first IUI last weekend. My boyfriend and I are not married, not engaged and really don't plan to be for awhile. I'm 29, he's 34. We've been together 8 years and live together. We both obviously made the decision for me to stop BC a year and a half ago and to see gyn/re when nothing was happening. But, I still feel like I can't tell people we are actively trying to get pregnant. We decided awhile ago we would start trying when I finished grad school. We thought it would be easy and could explain it to people as "oops, look what happened but we are excited" type thing. I assume most people here are married. How would you react to a non married couple going thru IF treatment? Am I over thinking it?

Re: So...I'm not married

• Options
    My DH and I started trying long before we were married and even engaged! It just so happened that well...nothing happened and we decided to tie the knot after almost 2 years of trying! All getting married did was encourage people to CONSTANTLY ask when we're having a LO...ugh! Nobody here will judge you and best of luck!!

***SIGGY WARNING***

me: 28 - all test normal
    DH: 33 - SA normal

*unexplained*

TTC since September 2011
    2011-Oct.2013 - trying off and on, ob/gyn, no meds
    November 2013-December-EOD, ob/gyn, no meds

January 2014- ob/gyn ordered Clomid (50 mg) unmonitored, EOD-BFN
    February-Clomid 50 mg. unmontiored, EOD - BFN
    March-Switched to RE
    April- 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    May - 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    June-*BREAK/Switch RE*
    July- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #1- BFN
    August- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #2 - BFP!!!!

EDD: May 7th, 2015: Team PINK

• Options
    Thanks for the positive responses! I honestly feel if we were open about it with our families they would totally support us. I guess since we both come from families where our parents are still married had kids after they were married, I feel certain pressures to live up to that. But thanks for making me feel better about all this. I don't need any extra stress at this time! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tiko99Tiko99 member
    Omg I am so happy to see your post. I'm not married either, but use the term DH. I am divorced so I am in no rush to get married again, but we feel we are ready for a baby and have been for over two years. My parents and a few friends know we are seeking fertility treatments and have been supportive. My family just wants me to be happy and it helps they are dying for grandchildren. If you need the support of family and friends I would suggest telling them, especially if you think they will be supportive.

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• Options
    I'd be super surprised if you got any negativity from this board about not being married! We might call MUD if you said your were 19 and started trying on your second date, but otherwise we are a pretty easy-going bunch. Good luck!
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options
    cupcake122cupcake122 member
    edited July 2014
    If it's your plan to get pregnant before you're married, then I hope you do :) I assume most ladies on this board are married, but i don't think it matters. My heart goes out to every woman who has IF issues, Married,single, young, old, trying for 1 year or 5 years.
    I hope you don't get negativity from people in your life who don't understand what you're going through. I bet you won't get any here though!
  • Options
    It definitely doesn't bother me at all if someone is TTC before getting married (or not getting married at all). We considered trying beforehand, but I didn't want to be pregnant for my wedding or honeymoon. (Ha!)
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Options
    I honestly don't think it matters it's a personal preference. I have a friend that never got married, has 2 children, bought land and built a house with her boyfriend. To each their own!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    Families come in all different sizes, colors, shapes and everything in between. Don't let anyone let you feel less than you are because you don't have a marriage certificate.
  • Options
    You know what is best for the two of you. There's no road map that you need to follow when it comes to having YOUR family. 

We also started before we were even engaged. We were only together a short time though before we decided to try. We were dating only 5 months when we moved in together and we started trying 3 months after we moved in together. Most people probably would have thought we were insane, but we knew we wanted to be together for life and to have children. 

If it had been up to my husband, I would have been off BCPs on our first date lol. 

Now we've been together for 3 & a half years, TTC for 2 years & 9 months, and been married for ALMOST one year (anniversary July 27th!)
    *** If you want to know where I (and soo many others) have gone, click here ***
  • Options
    Well thank you all for reaffirming that we need to do whats best for us! Although, deep down, I do know that, it still helps to have others back me up on it :) .
  • Options
    Good for you!  DH and I started trying before our wedding because we knew there were issues and we didn't want to waste any time.  My RE's office screwed it up exactly once and then got it right every other time.  I wish you the very best of luck!

image     image

Me (34): MTHFR, PCOS, Endo, left salpingectomy due to hydrosalpinx, 
    hypothyroidism, low AMH (0.26)/normal FSH/average AFC of 12

Him (33): No known issues

November 2013-March 2014: Natural cycles
    April 2014: Clomid 100mg and Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
    May 2014: Clomid 100mg and Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
    July 2014:  IVF class -- Check!
    Holy crap.  Unmedicated BFP 7.22.14.  EDD 4.01.15.
    Best April Fool's Day ever!
    Now on Lovenox, prenatals, Vitamin D,
    Folic Acid, and Synthroid.
    Please be our take home baby.

• Options

Families come in all different sizes, colors, shapes and everything in between. Don't let anyone let you feel less than you are because you don't have a marriage certificate.

Exactly!

When you are ready to do something in life do it. You both are ready to have a child so you shouldn't let anyone tell you you aren't ready/can't for any reason.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's nobody's business, I've seen married people that shouldn't have kids.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Options
    Thankfully, I'm the one with the awesome insurance!
  • Options
    I get where you are coming from. H and I started trying when we were engaged. When I made the appointment to get my IUD out with my OBGYN I felt a little uncomfortable talking to her about TTC since I wasn't married. It was unwarranted though. I doubt she thought twice about it. 

Now that we are married I feel more comfortable that I can mark the "married" box on the forms, but it is more my insecurity than any real judgement. And it sounds silly now that I type it... "I like being able to check a certain box on a form" That makes me sound like a lame people pleaser. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"