Nurseries and Baby Gear

So lost on double strollers for kids 2 years apart

Hi ladies! We're expecting baby #2 in September. Our boys will be 2 years apart. I'm going nuts looking at double strollers because I can't even figure out if I want a sit and stand, side by side(is that called tandem?), rumble seat, one kid in the front style, or...? What are the pros and cons of each? What do you have/love/hate? I'm mostly looking for neighborhood walks, my son walks most places but I like the exercise and our parks are a little far away for him to get to on his own steam.
Thanks in advance!

Re: So lost on double strollers for kids 2 years apart

• I'd say it depends on how much your older child still rides in the stroller. Does he still nap in the stroller? Do u live in a city and is your stroller your main mode of transport?

Also look at the weight limits of the seats because some are outgrown by 35 lbs which I know my DS who is almost 3 already weighs.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • I am in the same situation, due in a month with number 2 and I have a 2 yr old. I went with a tandem because the side by sides I felt were too wide and I didn't like the idea of the stroller sitting behind my car with a kid in it while I unloaded the second kid. I liked the idea of a sit and stand but they all felt clunky and annoying to fold when I played with them in the store. My advice is take your kid to the store to try and see what he likes. I had my mind all set on a britax b-ready and when I tried it with my two year old in the store he would not sit in the seat in the back and when I attached the car seat it was in his face. I ended up getting the city select and added on a glider board which turns it into a sit and stand. Expensive options but I got the second seat and the glider board as birthday presents and they have some 2013 models on sale on amazon still.
  • Loading the player...
  • Great things to consider, thanks ladies. @cappleby, I will definitely take your advice to try some out at the store!

• My boys are 19 months apart. I've really liked using our Valco Snap Dual for neighborhood walks as well as other outings. We go to a lot of parks, as well as the mall and it's perfect. I have no issues taking it up and down curbs...it's also just 2 inches wider than the City Select but it's not a tandem.

I looked at tandems but felt they were a workout to push. I ended up looking at the City Mini and the Maclaren doubles when I accentaly found the Snap on Amazon. It weighs 22lbs and has a huge basket and storage pockets so it makes toting around the boys' things so much easier.

Both my boys like to look out so it has been perfect. FWIW I've never had to leave it behind my car loading and unloading the boys...it fits pretty easily. It's also nice to to have both kids within arms reach. Added bonus is it opens and closes in on step and I've even been able to open it holding the younger one. None of the tandems or sit in stands are super easy to open and close.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • edited July 2014
    A lot of it depends on the older kid's maturity and personality.

My kids will be almost 3 yrs apart but there is no way in heck that my DD will be mature enough to mostly walk / sit on a bench / ride in a rumble board by the time the new kid is born. She is cray cray and unpredictable and at times super whiney and clingy so I need to have an actual seat for her.

At the same time the most popular double that can be a single (BJ city select) wouldn't work for us bc she is tall and will be even taller by the time we need it. Plus I hate the price and that all accessories are so expensive. Fwiw, I am not hating on BJ overall. We have the City Mini GT and love it, but accessories were stupid expensive...

I am lucky enough that I will be able to get both an inline double as well as a side by side. Each for a different purpose.

I am planning to get an inline Graco Ready2Grow for the car (shopping trips and travel) - we looked at it in the store and liked all the riding options. And I'm also planning to get a used double Bob Revolution for running and walks, it will live in the garage.

I see the benefit of each one of them. But if I were to get only one and was in a tight budget, I'd go with the Graco.
  • The sit n stand sounded great but didn't work for us. Mine are 22 months apart and my oldest would not stay on the stroller. He jumped off a lot and I had to chase him. We didn't need a double as often as I thought we would. He likes to walk and does fine now at 3. We have a schwinn turismo for walks to the park etc and it's great for the money. You really don't have to decide now. If you baby wear at first that will buy you several months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"