Trouble TTC

Kate Gosselin fertility treatment question? *child mentioned*

Some friends and I were chatting the other day and someone brought up Kate Gosselin. My friend said she heard that Kate has PCOS and got pregnant the first time via IUI. Then she said that when she got pregnant the second time her doctor did an U/S and they noticed too many follicles and told her they wouldn't do the IUI and not to BD because the risk of multiples was way too high. Apparently they BD'd against doctors orders and that's how she ended with sextuplets. Does anyone know if this is true? I've googled it and I got conflicting stories. This question is just pure curiosity. Also, I want to add I am not a fan of Kate Gosselin.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

Re: Kate Gosselin fertility treatment question? *child mentioned*

• I didn't know about the PCOS, but the rest of it is what I had read about. When I did my first IUI, my doctor said 4-6 follies were ideal for a 38 year old due to diminished egg quality, but they would never do an iui on a younger woman with that many follies because the chance of multiples was too high. So that sounds about right in regards to Kate.
    Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

• Thanks for the link, I just read it and it sounds like the doctor did the IUI even though she had 4 mature follicles. That's crazy. Unless she is lying and the doctor wouldn't do the IUI.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I've read other reports where she says that they cancelled the IUI with strict instructions not to have sex, and they went ahead anyway.  

image     image

Me (34): MTHFR, PCOS, Endo, left salpingectomy due to hydrosalpinx, 
    hypothyroidism, low AMH (0.26)/normal FSH/average AFC of 12

Him (33): No known issues

November 2013-March 2014: Natural cycles
    April 2014: Clomid 100mg and Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
    May 2014: Clomid 100mg and Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
    July 2014:  IVF class -- Check!
    Holy crap.  Unmedicated BFP 7.22.14.  EDD 4.01.15.
    Best April Fool's Day ever!
    Now on Lovenox, prenatals, Vitamin D,
    Folic Acid, and Synthroid.
    Please be our take home baby.

• @sweetsurrender9‌ that's what my friend said. Although I can't imagine the doctor wouldn't have something to say if she says she had an IUI when she didn't under those circumstances. I read the exert from her book and it clearly says she did the IUI. Either way, she's crazy for taking that risk.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Hollowvic said:

@sweetsurrender9‌ that's what my friend said. Although I can't imagine the doctor wouldn't have something to say if she says she had an IUI when she didn't under those circumstances. I read the exert from her book and it clearly says she did the IUI. Either way, she's crazy for taking that risk.

I get what you're saying, and to a point I agree. However, I see people on here do IUIs all of the time with 4 follicles. I think it's easy for us to say in hindsight that it was a bad idea, but I've definitely seen young people do IUIs with 4 follicles and not get pregnant at all, and no one tells them they're crazy, you know?
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• @lebradford I see your point. Thinking about it, I can't say I wouldn't do it as I would do anything to get pregnant right now. Then again I'm 38.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• @lebradford - You are correct...four isn't that crazy of an idea for some of us. My RE looks for 3-4 follies during inject cycles. Anything beyond that he left up to us to decide, with a full discussion of the possible outcomes. For my last completed IUI (which feels like ages ago) I had one mature follie when I triggered, but three others that potentially could have held a mature egg. It resulted in a BFN.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Pintobean39Pintobean39 member
    edited July 2014
    So let me get this straight. She had 4 mature but got pregnant with 7 kids?

I really don't follow anything. I struggle keeping up with my own life much less anyone else.

ETA: really 3 mature and a possible 4th. Am I correct?
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • *loss mentioned* Yes 4 mature follies and she got pregnant with 7 (lost 1)

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• AnnaClaire256AnnaClaire256 member
    edited July 2014
    @Pintobean39‌ that's where I got lost too. With four mature I don't know how she ended up with 7 since none of her children are identical twins. I guess some follies went unmeasured? Or grew quickly after trigger? I just feel like there has to be more to the story. I do agree with @lebradford‌. 4 follies isn't unheard of. I have triggered with 4 follies and it Obviously ended in BFN

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

DX: PCOS

Current treatment: Break from IUIs until after the holidays

-----All Welcome----

~~~January 3T Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolutions~~~

(I don't do resolutions...so I stole T-Rex's)

• That doesn't seem like to far fetched to trigger with 4. Who would expect that to turn into 7?

Fucking bump!!!!
  • I read the excerpt from the book and either she is lying or she had some catch up really quickly at trigger. I had 1 cycle that I only had 2 mature but 1 that was about 12 caught up. Then in my IVF I had about another 3 that were not in the "mature" range catch up with trigger so I can see where that's possible.

I honestly don't think the full story will ever be told.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • FWIW...follicles often hide out of view. With IVF, it is not uncommon to go into it thinking that you'll get 10 and 13 are retrieved.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• @Pintobean39‌ I agree, I don't think we'll ever get the full true story, something doesn't add up.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• @NariaDreaming‌ that is what my friend said, they TI against doctors orders, she said she heard that years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if KG is saying they did an IUI to make it look better for her. If that's the case and I were her RE, I would want to set the record straight, but who knows.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• So sad, what a terrible situation. Guess I'm naive, but it's just so hard to believe someone would make up a completely fake story about the IUI, but of course that sounds about par for the course after seeing her on TV!

I guess there must be a lot of legal issues involved in the situation. Perhaps the RE was willing to sign not to disclose anything (plus I'm sure with HIPAA it would be dangerous to speak publicly) in return for avoiding a lawsuit.

This really made the idea of SR hit home for me. We discussed it and told our RE that we do not want to do anything to cause it recklessly, and will follow his advice, but that we would be comfortable doing it for the safety of other children if HOM occurred and it was needed. But her impassioned words reminded me that I would always regret playing God and choosing who lived and who did. It's so complicated, and I still think I may do it if the situation arose, but I pray it doesn't happen and I know I would never forgive myself.

I'm thankful we only got 1 follie and didn't have to think about it last cycle. And with DH's 2% morphology, the RE isn't really worried about multiples for us. But I guess there are no guarantees.
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Pintobean39Pintobean39 member
    edited July 2014
    People that have HOM cause a stigma for everyone doing fertility treatments. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "OMG your going to have a litter". Wether it's an incompetent Dr or a patient that didn't follow the advise of their Dr, they make it so much harder for the rest of us and it pisses me off.

If she is lying about the IUI shame on her. We will never know because her Dr is unable to state the facts because he would lose his license due to violating patient confidentiality. If the Dr did actually do an IUI with multiple 6 or more on a 29 yr old patient that has already had a successful pregnancy, shame on him. I do think someone with 3-4 mature follicles at 29 that has already had a successful multiple pregnancy is pushing it. Especially since it seems like follicles sometimes hide which I'm sure since she had 7 fertilize and she had PCOS she prob had a ton of follicles on the ultrasound. Also being that she had OHSS her E2 was prob high which should have shown up on a blood test.

Regardless of what the true story is, someone should have known it could have turned out to be a HOM. These situations just make it bad for the rest
    of us.

ETA: I had to do some googling to try to fill in the gaps.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Also I just want to state that sometimes it just happens and that's a different story. I actually know a couple my age (40) who did IVF and they transferred 3 3 day embryos and she had 4 babies. They all stuck and 1 split. Seriously that's rare and no way the Dr could have foreseen that coming. So to me that's a whole different situation but this whole other story is just fishy to me. JMO!!!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • She drives me nuts too. I said in another post, I'd rather pass a kidney stone than watch her on tv. I don't know why but I assumed she had done IVF, then my friend told me the story and I didn't believe her. I agree, something's fishy about the whole thing.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"