July 2014 Moms
Options

How long?

Myanswer trueMyanswer true member
edited July 2014 in July 2014 Moms
For mamas with outside babies (including the STMs), how long did your pediatrician tell you to keep your squish away from crowds (restaurants, church, stores, etc)? How long are you actually planning on doing so?
ETA: We were told 2 months, which I find a tad excessive. We're planning on taking Spencer to church for the first time next week, when he'll be a couple days short of 3 weeks old.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How long?

• Options
    No one told me anything. Hannah is going to church for the second time today, at 3 weeks. She also went to a 3rd of July party with 100ish people.
  • Options
    honeybee434honeybee434 member
    edited July 2014
    Mine didn't say anything, either. We had to go to a family gathering last night that had 20 people there, so that was her first official outing with a crowd, except for taking her to a Carter's with us earlier this week to grab some newborn items, but it's not a very big store where we are at. A few people did get too close for my comfort to her. It was like a stranger danger warning in my head. Ha. :) I'm trying to not take her to too many public places until I can get something to wear her to keep people from getting too close.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was out and about the same week with DD1. I just kept a light swaddle blanket over her car seat so that people didn't shove their faces into hers, or put their grimy hands all over her. (Seriously, why do people feel it's ok to touch babies, especially if they don't know the parents??)

My friend had her baby 4 weeks early, and he had some slight breathing problems. She's been advised to keep him indoors/away from crowds until he's 3 months old. I didn't meet him until he was a month old because I got bronchitis soon after he was born, and I wanted to be 200% better before I saw him.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    Mine said 2 months, so I've pretty much kept her home, though we did go to the grocery store twice and Sam's Club once.  It's just easier to not have to haul her into the stores, especially since the carseat is so big and takes up most of the cart!  I could do the Moby, or another carrier, but I haven't yet.  I like my solo outings and she can spend some time with her dad. ;)
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    I was told 6-8 weeks... but DS is a preemie.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD was early and born in the winter, so she didn't go out much for a while. This one will be out probably within a week or so when I'm feeling well. DD will want to go to the playground, etc. and it's summer plus she'll be full term. I'll wear her so people don't bother her.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BFP#2 7/3/13.  U/S at 6w4d showed 1 heartbeat at 127 bmp and 2 empty sacs.  MMC discovered at 10w4d.  D&C 8/27/13.  Pathology showed normal boy.  Missing our babies every day.
    BFP#3 10/29/13!  Beta#1 at 4w5d - 2141, beta#2 at 5w1d - 7651!  U/S 11/21/13 showed baby measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 127 bmp!
  • Options
    2 mo. with first, but it was flu season, dec. and just being out in the fresh air is far different from attending things with a ton of ppl- which is likely what you're pedi meant.

I'm not doing that so much this time...baby will be worn on me though, so in a crowd (my godson's first bday is a potential party if we go, and a couple of concerts in the park of groups that I normally perform with, are a potential), he will be on me and not too near anyone else, not passed around/touched etc. I was happy not to leave my house for 2 months in the winter with the first though, so if turns out I do the same this time, then so be it. But I have plans on going out side to avoid the PPD, and if there are ppl where I go, then on well, no biggie.
    imageimage"">

• Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member
    DS1 was a winter preemie so we where told to stay in the entire RSV season. DS2 is technically premature as well but as a 36 weeker who is thankfully very healthy, our pediatrician said he's considered term and gave us no restrictions. We went to church at 1.5 weeks and again today at 2.5 weeks.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    We weren't given a time frame. DS went out at 13 days because I couldn't stand being cooped up anymore. I had DD at the park at 9 days for the same reason and have since been to a few stores and restaurants as well. I just make a point to either wear her or keep her in her car seat with me.
  • Options
    We weren't told anything, this time or with my older son. If we need to do it we will but we won't make any specific plans to have baby out until maybe 2-3 weeks roughly. Not a hard and fast rule, just something like that is what we are comfortable with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We were told 6 weeks with DS1. We did some outings to the grocery store but avoided crowds. I'll probably stick to that this time solely as an excuse to avoid DH's family reunion. When we took DS1 to it the first time he was barely 2 months old, and the first person who grabbed him later complained that she had been feeling for days like she was coming down with the flu!!!

• Options
    AcsimAcsim member
    Dd1 was a December baby so I didn't leave with her for almost 2 months with the exception of doctors appts and super quick trips into stores if we were already out, but with a blanket over her car seat.

With this baby, I'll likely do a month before taking her out among groups, and in fact, 6 weeks is right about my birthday so I may have a bday/sip and see get together. It's just too damn hot and humid out, and we know way too many people that have had random summer bugs. If DD1 wants to be outside, we have a huge yard and on the other side of our gate is the elementary school field and playground. There's usually never people over there.
  • Options
    With DD we waited 6 weeks, but it was the height of flu season. With DS I'll probably only wait a week or two.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was never told a specific age, it's more your comfort and where you go. We took DS1 to my aunts house when he was 5 days for thanksgiving. I knew everyone there and they were respectful of having clean hands or getting too close. We will be going to a baptism when DS2 is 11 days old. I will probably wear him most of the time.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    Pedi told us to wait until two month shots. As pp said, if I were going out I would wear LO or keep the car seat covered so people leave baby alone. So annoying
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    STM here, no one told me not to bring him out. I had him out at 3 days old. I kept him in his sling & didn't let anyone touch him. I plan on bringing this LO out right away too
  • Options
    I took DS1 to my gma's for Sunday family dinner at 3 wks old. I took him out in public at 4 wks and he was a November baby. I usually kept his carrier covered so strangers wouldn't be all up in his face!
  • Options
    With DS we went to my Grandfather's 8th when he was 5 weeks. He was passed around, but everyone had clean hands and no kids were allowed to get too near him (they were all vaccinated though). He was fine...to tell you the truth I didn't think that much about it...

• Options
    The pedi that saw us at the hospital told us 2 months, he also told me I shouldn't eat too much chocolate while BFing because of the caffeine *eyeroll*. I found a new doctor.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    abrazzabrazz member
    We weren't given a time frame either.  We took him to church today and I held him or he was in the car seat.  The older two go to daycare and I'm terrified they are going to bring something home.  If he catches anything it's probably going to be from them.  I can't stand being in the house that much though and took my older son out at 2 weeks as well.  I do not let many people hold them till they are about 8 weeks old. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My pedi said that with really high public places or lots of little kids it is better for the baby to have had their shots. I'm not sure I can make it that long without going insane so I'm just playing it by ear and holding out as long as I can. I'm trying to take her easy places where I know everyone and can kinda control the situation. Part of my fear of having her outside though is the crazy mosquitoes! Being in Texas, I swear some are almost as big as her face! So if I take her out during any peak hours, I always have a net or something over the carrier.
  • Options
    DS1 was born in January, in the middle of flu season.  Nobody at the hospital or his pediatrician's office suggested I keep him or myself home.  Nor did any of the medical professionals in our family.  
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited July 2014
    No-one said anything about this with either of mine.
    Baby1 came out, (thoroughly wrapped up, late Nov baby, no flu warning at the time, in her carrier and wasn't touched by anyone) at 5 days because we needed cat food and it was literally over the road to the store. Plus I was effectively a single parent at the time so had no choice.
    Baby2 went to a family gathering of about 12 (very clean, none sick or recently sick) people at 6 days and was held by 3 women apart from me.

I wasn't about to let either baby loose outdoors or in a huge crowd so soon but we went out and about long before 2 months just using common sense about where to go and not letting strangers touch.

Add: both my babies were term and healthy, I wouldn't have attempted these outings with a preemie or a sick baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"