July 2014 Moms

Breast Milk Donation?

What are everyone's thoughts on donating/selling milk? Anyone a donor? Anyone used donor milk? Or wanted to but couldn't get it?
 I found this site https://www.mothersmilk.coop/ and started reading up - I think it's a lovely idea but I'm a bit nervous about applying because there's a blood test and I don't know if I can produce enough to fill their minimum order - 300-500oz sounds like a lot! 

Re: Breast Milk Donation?

• Selling milk is illegal. Donating is fantastic IMO. I produced a lot with DD, but not enough to donate. Check out Eats on Feet and Human Milk for Human Babies if you're interested. It's peer to peer donation, so no tests or minimums.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BFP#2 7/3/13.  U/S at 6w4d showed 1 heartbeat at 127 bmp and 2 empty sacs.  MMC discovered at 10w4d.  D&C 8/27/13.  Pathology showed normal boy.  Missing our babies every day.
    BFP#3 10/29/13!  Beta#1 at 4w5d - 2141, beta#2 at 5w1d - 7651!  U/S 11/21/13 showed baby measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 127 bmp!
  • My DD was on donor milk from 4-12 months.  We had a fantastic long term donor who was able to fill the gap my supply issues left.  Please check out eats on feets or human milk 4 human babies in your state on facebook.  They have great resources on informed donation and why selling milk is a poor idea (and not legal in many areas).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • No tests sounds sketchy. 
    I could have anything and all they'd have is my word for it! I don't but still

This site says they pay for milk if you opt to get paid rather than donate so I'm not sure that selling milk is illegal altogether but it makes sense that it would be for your average person to just pass it out at yard sales or whatever
  • I'm wanting to donate anyway so if we can please not shout at me for wording it with selling in there - it's just what the site says and it's the first one I found so very much in the early research phase
  • Our childrens hospital has a milk bank here. I think it's an awesome idea.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• No-one yet but I get the feeling it would happen at some point if I didn't clarify
  • Thankyou! That's a bit of a distance from me but I'm waiting to hear back from someone who can point me towards our nearby equivalent and hopefully they won't mind me asking loads of questions!
  • Just a heads up many of the more "commercial" for lack of a better word, milk banks actually do not take your milk and give it to babies in need.  They take the milk and make a product that goes to NICU's to fortify milk and formula.  Not a terrible thing in the least but it's not made very clear on most sites.  Some people have a problem with these companies profiting off (selling it to hospitals) their donation and not being upfront about what is happening with the milk. 

Human Milk Bank of North America is the one large milk bank that does in fact keep milk as milk for babies.  Most goes to NICUs because it's nearly impossible for families to afford the price (~$4/oz).  Peer to Peer donation is pretty easy and a great way to make sure that you know where your milk is going if that's important to you and a way for those families who struggle with low supply have access to donor milk.  The families that donated to us were so appreciated, I will never be able to thank them enough for what they did for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• StodreStodre member
    My daughter was born May 14 - 2 months early. She was on donated breast milk while in the NICU until my milk came in. If for some reason Remi couldn't have my breast milk anymore I would donate mine. I think it's a great idea and what is best for babies that may not be able to get it otherwise.
  • I have an oversupply since I pumped from day 1. I'm currently in the process of going through mother's milk coop. I'm waiting to get the test kit. Personally, it skeeves me out that people are willing to give their kiddos untested bm from untested donors.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• rboisvert That's good to know, I'll look into that a bit more. You're right that it's no bad thing that the milk is still getting into the feeds but that's not as good as giving it straight.

@rattlecanqueen It makes me uncomfortable the idea of untested milk too. As I've said - I know I'm safe (or I wouldn't be feeding the MiniMe!) but without some kind of testing, there's only my word on that and I could be a dubious character. I wouldn't want MiniMe having untested donor milk if we were in that situation, even if breast milk is better than formula.
  • We have a local milk bank that I donated to last time. They do a free blood test and then want a minimum of 200 oz. I was able to just drop it off at a nearby hospital and they did the rest. They are open with their practices and encourage tours of their facilities. I was glad to be able to donate and hope I can again this time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"