Babies on the Brain

Teacher Timing

I am a middle school teacher in Pennsylvania, and I will be starting a new job in August.  My husband and I also plan to start trying to conceive in August in hopes of a late spring/ early summer due date.  I just wondered if there are any others out there who are attempting the teacher timing!

Heather

Re: Teacher Timing

• snok83snok83 member
    Yes, I work as a counselor in an elementary school. I actually did this same thing for our 1st child. We started trying in July hoping for an end of the year baby. We were super lucky and conceived the 1st month of trying due in April.

She ended up coming 3 weeks but I took leave for rest of year. So nice as she wasn't in daycare till almost 4 months. Hoping timing works as well for 2nd but u never know!
  • nicpugnicpug member
    edited June 2014
    Hi! I'm an AS teacher in Pa. We also want to try in July in hopes of an April baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah--you cant guarantee it but lotttts of my friends timed it that way and it worked in their favor!  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH wants to follow teacher time. i wanted to start this month, which would be a march-ish baby. then i would take six weeks. go to work a few weeks then have the summer off. my thought with that would be saving on daycare costs and more time with LO. this month ends in two days, so i think we'll be the next couple months

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• nicpug said:
    Hi! I'm an AS teacher in Pa. We also want to try in July in hopes of an April baby!
    I just realized that we are definitely on two of the same boards. :)  Maybe we are destined to be FF!  I also live in PA near Erie.  Will this be your first baby?
  • DH wants to follow teacher time. i wanted to start this month, which would be a march-ish baby. then i would take six weeks. go to work a few weeks then have the summer off. my thought with that would be saving on daycare costs and more time with LO. this month ends in two days, so i think we'll be the next couple months
    I also thought about starting a little bit earlier just in case.  There's no harm in practicing, right!? :)  
  •  

DH wants to follow teacher time. i wanted to start this month, which would be a march-ish baby. then i would take six weeks. go to work a few weeks then have the summer off. my thought with that would be saving on daycare costs and more time with LO. this month ends in two days, so i think we'll be the next couple months
    I also thought about starting a little bit earlier just in case.  There's no harm in practicing, right!? :)  

exactly!

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• nicpugnicpug member
    Haha, that's so funny! :)...I agree, meant to be! It would be our first! You?
  • MandJS said:

I am a middle school teacher in Pennsylvania, and I will be starting a new job in August.  My husband and I also plan to start trying to conceive in August in hopes of a late spring/ early summer due date.  I just wondered if there are any others out there who are attempting the teacher timing!

Heather

As someone else said - it can take up to a year for a healthy couple to conceive. Moreover - if you're starting a new job in August AND you manage to get KU right away, you may not qualify for FMLA, which could put your job at risk. Just something to think about.

Good luck!

Yes. Please check out FMLA and all other benefits! FMLA did not prove to be an issue for me but we did wait an extra month for my STD to be effective. GL!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first baby we tried for an end of the year baby and got extremely lucky.  We got pregnant in September during our first cycle and we had her on June 11 (1 week after school got out).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    September Siggy Challenge- You had one job

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a teacher as well....always wanted to be perfect timing to have a may/june baby...Well after 1 month of actively trying, I'm KU. Due in Feb...so nothing is perfect! 
    Baby Nolan  is on his way! EDD 2/22/15 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • nicpugnicpug member
    I think everyone realizes that it may not just happen, but I see nothing wrong with trying to plan it. I don't think anyone is being naive.
  • nicpugnicpug member
    edited June 2014
    nicpug said:
    I think everyone realizes that it may not just happen, but I see nothing wrong with trying to plan it. I don't think anyone is being naive.
    Sadly, no, many do not. They figure you have sex once and BAM! pregnant.

People are completely ignorant and naive when it comes to this stuff.
    I guess my point was more, there is nothing wrong with *trying to plan.  I've seen so many post that are not very nice, or presumably not nice - and I just think that we should be building each other up! Not getting snippy.  We are all in the same boat :) (not implying you were snippy or mean!)
  • There's never anything wrong with trying to plan anything.  I can plan on getting a promotion, living to 200, etc etc.  As long as you know things might not work out, I see no reason not to try for teacher timing.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • All the best, hope things go according to your plan
  • Tried for years to have a baby. At first we tried to schedule it around the school year, then we didn't care. We are now adopting and my baby will be here the first day of school, unless she makes her arrival earlier! I am grateful to be getting a baby! Don't worry about schedules too much. I am relieved that she will be born during the summer so that her immune system will develop more and I won't bring "the school crud" home to her.
  • Hi again ladies!!  I am definitely so fortunate to teach in Pennsylvania where our teachers have great benefits and FMLA will be no problem, but I know that not everyone is as lucky, so it is great advice to make sure we all know our benefits.

magsame Congratulations!!  Winter babies are wonderful!  I'm one! ;-)
    MandJS Thanks for the input!  I'm hoping some of the cushyness comes my way!
    14whitney Don't feel like an idiot!  I have always been a bit worried that it will take us a bit of time for us too.  Maybe it will happen for you this August!  Keep your head up. :-)
    WannaBmomma Congratulations on your precious little girl!  Yes, get those tiny immunities up!!  I was sick SO many times this year!! I'm hoping I'll have them built up for when it is my time to bring home a little one!
    WhoCanItBeNow Being positive and helpful is welcomed.  Being nasty is not.  We have all established that we understand fertility and that plans are only plans.  Be nice or go away.  Thanks! :-)
  • edited July 2014
    Plans rarely work how you want them too - first lesson of having kids!  

Also, no one was nasty.  Don't confuse honest advise with rudeness. 

DS: June 2012
    MC: July 2015 8w5d

• I think that since most of us are teachers, married to teachers, or work in an educational setting we know that rule #1 is to have a plan.  Rule #2 is to understand that the plan may have to go out the window :-)
  • I am an elementary teacher in OK, and hoping for the same! But because the potential of how long it could take to get pregnant, we went ahead and started trying early. Not pregnant yet, but if I conceived this month, March wouldn't be too bad! And then if I didn't, any month after would work out too :)
  • I work at an elementary school (secretary) and I get all the same perks the teachers do. I didn't plan with my daughter. She was conceived in May 2013 and born in Feb 2013. I thought the timing was good. I had the choice to go back to work for a few weeks before summer break or just stay home until August. Good Luck! Sending baby dust your way :)
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    If it works out that way it's great, but it often doesn't. My husband and I tried for seven months before conceiving our first. It just so happened that I ended up being due in June, so that worked out great. However, that was just plain dumb luck. I would love if it worked out that way again if and when we have a second but won't sweat it if it doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"