Babies on the Brain

Can anyone help me out with an insurance question?

So I bought my health insurance because my husband's is like paying a second mortgage when we added on myself and my daughter when I turned 26. My insurance doesn't have maternity coverage and won't until January 15th. Our daughter is 18mo and we really want to start trying for another in August or September. Is anyone in the same situation? I don't know if we would qualify for Medicaid or if my OB even accepts it, but does anyone know if you can have health insurance and Medicaid too? TIA

Re: Can anyone help me out with an insurance question?

• If medicaid won't cover it def. I'd suggest waiting til you are covered. My pregnancy cost in total 22k for everything....we had to pay a portion of that because we have maternity coverage. And if anything goes wrong like you have to have a D&E that can cost upwards of 10k
    Met my husband in 2002
    Married my Husband and Best Friend in 2006
    Our precious son born October 2011
    Found out pregnant with #2 in April 2014
    No Heartbeat found May 2014....
    D&E done May 30th 2014
    BFP 8/20/14 - EDD May 1st 2015! :)
    image"">
  • I know it's no fun to wait longer but better to have the coverage than pay everything up to that point out of pocket. We had to switch insurance mid-pregnancy due to a job change and even that sucked. Going into a pregnancy without maternity coverage sucks -- we weren't insured the first time I was pregnant and we had to pay out of pocket for everything.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd wait it out and get the coverage.  Think about it as time to just save a little more for your new one!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought into a disability policy at work back in March, and they will only cover childbirth and maternity leave if the baby is born 10 months from the policy effective date. That would have been January 1. We waited until last month to start TTC, since last cycle would have given me a mid-Feb due date. It was the earliest I was comfortable with, because it gave us a month and a half cushion in the event of an early delivery. I knew getting pregnant on the first cycle was possible, and I wasn't going to risk it. So yes, I would say to wait on the insurance. 
    I thought that would mean that the baby has to be born 10+ months AFTER the policy takes effect? So you would have to conceive after January 1st. If somebody knows way more about these insurance terms, school me, please.
  • OP, this is what I'm hearing: I want something now that I can't afford. I'll just hope the government pays for it.

Seriously?!
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • OP, this is what I'm hearing: I want something now that I can't afford. I'll just hope the government pays for it. Seriously?!
    this...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"