Pregnant after 35
Options

Wait, what did my dr just say?!

Had our first ultra sound this morning( 6w5 days) Yolk sac, fetal pole and a strong little fast heart beat! So good news on that front.

We go and sit down with the dr, our fertility dr, not my regular OB. And he says yep, looks good. Now, granted you aren't 25. So it's still early, but I guess we can be cautiously enthusiastic. I was like " wait, what? What did he just say?! "

Jeez, thanks for reminding me! LOL I don't even care! :-?

Re: Wait, what did my dr just say?!

• Options
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    EVERY time!!  I go in, I am told how great things are going yadda yadda....then, inevitably, the comment comes..."Well, the risk of stillbirth...."  "The placenta can be sluggish in mature women...."  
    So before you get too comfortable on cloud nine, they kick you back down to #5! UGH!  I went through it all with my son as well, it was a perfect pregnancy and delivery...this one may be as well, but of course they remind us of the scary (real as it may be) stuff and it tends to once again blurr my focus.

I think hey must have to mention these things, just so if something were to go wrong, we aren't in complete and utter shock ???  That would be my guess.

I am doing my best to just enjoy this beautiful time as I LOVE being pregnant!!  

Congrats to you @Kimb311  Happy everything is going great!!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    lcwedlcwed member
    Congrats on the great ultrasound. Hopefully we all have uneventful pregnancies.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Options
    Congrats on all that is well. Hang on to that info...don't let them bring you down.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    Yay, he isn't the most warm and fuzzy guy in the world. This is the farthest we have gotten in 2 years so nothing was going to spoil that for me.
  • Options
    Definitely don't let him take your joy. Congrats on that beautiful scan and awesome heartbeat.

Fwiw, I know plenty of women who had issues in pregnancy in their 20s. It happens. It doesn't mean it will happen to you. Age is one of many factors, and I am disappointed that your doc seems to be a glass-half-empty type. :-P

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• Options
    I hear ya, @kimb311‌ ! I went to an RE who told me without IVF, I only had a 2% chance of getting pregnant and carrying to term. I want to send him an announcement. ... but that still lingers :-( Today, I am pregnant and happy to be here :-)! Congratulations to you, whoo hoo for heartbeats!! :-D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just switched Drs. and had my first appt. on Friday.  She made my day when she said, "you look like you're 25, so I'm sure everything will go as if you are."  I think I found myself a winner of a dr. compared to what you all are saying!!  Yay!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    congrats! 
  • Options
    MrsDLMrsDL member
    Congrats on the good news!  I've stopped letting my doctors bother me with the age talk and take the added visits and scans with a grain of salt. We are all well aware that certain risks increase with age.  They wouldn't be doing their job if they pretended otherwise.  Now pointing them out every.single.visit might be overkill, but I'd be concerned if they didn't mention it at all.

• Options
    Congrats! I'll have mine next week, and I'm bracing for the comments that are sure to come. Don't let them dim your light, your results are great!
  • Options
    I'm 40 and 30weeks1day with our first son. I started spotting at 7 weeks and seriously the first words that came out of my midwife's mouth were- even with a heartbeat, we can not confirm viability of fetus so we can expect miscarriage. I just sat there holding tears back, completely unsure how to respond. I changed providers and prayed hard during the 2 months my spotting continued. Our son is developing well but i still feel that each time I go in, they come up with something to worry about.- they discovered that there is not enough coils in the umbilical cord= risk of small baby or stillborn. next time he measured too big- you must have diabetes, which I passed with flying colors (or numbers). now instead of small baby im supposed to expect large baby... I decided ti trust my own instinct and if I feel OK, he is most likely OK as well. stress will not help so take courage and know what dr advice to listen to, and what just forget. Blessings on your journey!
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I'm 43 and my age has been mentioned in some way as a negative every single time I saw the doctor (except the last time -- when I'm assuming he forgot to mention it).  It can be infuriating.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"