Success after IF

Clomid monitoring?

So as some of the other members will know, I posted a question about Clomid yesterday. A lot of people seemed appalled that my RE isn't monitoring me, as I am taking Clomid for the first time. I got a positive with OPK on Thursday and since the RE office was closed for the 4th I felt doing the IUI on Sat. was too late and skipped it. I'm wondering if anybody else has an RE who didn't monitor them while on Clomid? I've gotten a ton of responses to run fast from my RE, I get it. I just want to know if there is anybody out there that is in a similar situation? I'm beyond frustrated at this point, I feel like I wasted another month.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

Re: Clomid monitoring?

• jesselayne8jesselayne8 member
    edited July 2014
    I think non-monitored Clomid cycles happen a lot with OBGYNs. I did 2 non-monitored cycles with my OB (I do not condone it nor did I get pregnant). I would expect more from a board certified RE.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I did two rounds of unmonitored clomid with my OB/GYN which resulted in nothing.  Then I did two rounds of monitored clomid with my RE at two different doses, through which we learned I don't respond to clomid. THAT is one of the reasons to monitor.  You may in fact learn it does nothing for you.  There are also a host of things it does for others that are not necessary positive.  Given that clomid isn't free, and neither is your doctor's time, why do something at cost to you that doesn't yield any results, whether a pregnancy or information about how your body responds?
  • Loading the player...
  • My re actually doesn't monitor you during the cycle unless you request it. He does CD3 u/s then you come in when you get a positive OPK. I requested an u/s the day of my positive opks to see how many follicles I had growing and also to check on my lining. I also request for my progesterone to be done a week after O.

When you move up to a trigger shot or injects that monitor you every couple of days but for just clomid they really don't. I always would like to know what was going on with my ovaries so I would know if I had a shot that month. But I also never had any lining problems with clomid and didn't need any extra progesterone.

I think it's best to advocate for yourself and get the extra monitoring so you know if what you are doing is working or not. Clomid worked after 2 cycles to conceive ds and then I did 4 more trying for #2 and none of them worked.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • I commented on the other post about my Clomid experience (through monitoring, the RE learned it thins my lining, which would have prevented me from getting pregnant anyway). Before I went to the RE, I took tamoxifen, which is used in breast cancer treatment, but works in a similar way to Clomid. My old OB preferred it because of negative side effects on Clomid. The OB did not monitor me and I did get pregnant (resulted in an early loss).

Regardless of my success on a similar drug, I'd never allow a doctor to provide me with a powerful fertility medication without proper monitoring. I just know too much about the risks of dangerous complications and high order multiples now. Too scary for me.
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Dragonfly1226Dragonfly1226 member
    edited July 2014
    I actually think there are many people who have done unmonitored Clomid cycles without incident. Some might even get pregnant. However, for a few there are serious consequences. What if you had many follicles and got pregnant with HOM - triplets, quadruplets,quintuplets... I have seen that happen on these boards. Is it worth that risk? What if you don't respond at all or your lining becomes so thin that you couldn't possibly get pregnant? Also, taking Clomid can make OPKs inaccurate. How will you know how to time the IUI if you are relying on an OPK that is made invalid by the Clomid. Is it worth the wasted time and money on cycles that could never work to begin with? Just know that when you do an unmonitored Clomid cycle, you are taking these risks.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • I think its exactly what you said about not wanting to waste anymore months of trying. With monitoring it will help with not wasting your time. It will tell you if you are responding too little, too much, just right, or not at all. Its recommended to only take clomid 6 times max in your lifetime. This is also an important reason to be monitored. Im not saying to run from your RE, but Id definitely ask for monitoring. At the very least so it wont waste any more of your time.

On a side note I was taking clomid unmonitored by my OBGYN for a couple of months before I came on the bump and was also encouraged to see an RE and get monitoring. ;) After that it only took 3 tries. GL to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you, I'm bummed that I lost out this month, but I agree, monitoring saves time and money in the long run. So the money I saved this month will go toward a closely monitored cycle next month. I am already seeing an RE, my OB said he doesn't give Clomid to anyone.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• My RE only does monitored clomid cycles. Clomid gave me a cyst on the second month, so I had to sit out further treatment until it was gone :(

Good luck! Hope monitored cycles give you a take home baby!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• All of my Clomid cycles were monitored. As PP mentioned, just to monitor my response was useful as we weren't sure if I would respond to the medication.
    I would also be concerned that the office was closed on the 4th. My RE always had an office open for monitoring or procedures on holidays as you never really know when things are going to fall based on your response. I would hate to invest so much money in meds and monitoring just to have to cancel due to their hours! Hopefully you get pregnant the first treatment cycle but just something to think about!
    Me 36/DH 46 Me: Low AMH (.21) DOR, mild endo; Started seeing RE 11/12
    Jan-March '13 3 IUIs Clomid + Trigger = BFN
    April '13 IVF 1 MDLF converted to 4th IUI due to 3 runaway follicles! BFN
    July/Aug '13 IVF 1.2 Long Lupron = 7R, 6F, 2T= BFP!!!
    Beta 1=512, Beta 2=1,368 Beta 3= 4,128
    It's a boy!!!!
    SUA, GD
    EDD 4/26/14

He's Here! Arrived 4/15/14!!!!

September 2015 - FET with remaining embryos
    Twins! EDD: 6/14/15

PAIF/SAIF Everyone welcome!
  • ccamccam member

My RE would not do any sort of medicated cycle without monitoring.  That and the fact that your RE is closed on 4th of July would make me question that office.  What if you were in the middle of an IVF cycle and your retrieval or transfer landed on the 4th - would they just throw away that whole cycle because of the holiday?  My RE is open everyday except for Christmas, but they have a holiday shut down so no one would end up cycling on Christmas anyway. 

I read some of the other comments in your previous post and I completely understand that you're frustrated, but everyone is just trying to help you.  Being monitored and medicated properly will only increase your chances for success.  Ladies coming on here and just throwing success stories at you won't help your chances.  Good luck to you!!

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• I had a doctor that refused to monitor me on clomid so that was wasted cycles. Once I got to Shady grove we found out Clomid never worked on me. Just seems like a waste of time and money and things could possibly go wrong. I would wait on using it until you are monitored carefully since there is a max number of times you can use the drug.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• ccam said:

My RE would not do any sort of medicated cycle without monitoring.  That and the fact that your RE is closed on 4th of July would make me question that office.  What if you were in the middle of an IVF cycle and your retrieval or transfer landed on the 4th - would they just throw away that whole cycle because of the holiday?  My RE is open everyday except for Christmas, but they have a holiday shut down so no one would end up cycling on Christmas anyway. 

I read some of the other comments in your previous post and I completely understand that you're frustrated, but everyone is just trying to help you.  Being monitored and medicated properly will only increase your chances for success.  Ladies coming on here and just throwing success stories at you won't help your chances.  Good luck to you!!

That is crazy. I have never heard of a RE being closed anyday due to the fact when using drugs you can anything go wrong and ovulate during those days.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• They are doing bloodwork this week to see if I ovulated and a progesterone check.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• That's not enough. 

• MY doc did that too in the begining and stilled missed that it wasn't working.

• I think all REs are different and handle different patients with different issues differently.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• True. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"