October 2014 Moms
Options

Decorating with Vintage Children's Books

My mom is sending me lots of my old (and even some of her old) children's books. I'm thinking about scanning some of the pictures and using them in the nursery decor, but I'm kind of at a loss for what to actually do with them, besides print and frame them. Anyone have any cool ideas? I apparently am not good with searching for ideas on etsy and pinterest, since I just seem to see the same ten results over and over again. Thanks for your input!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Decorating with Vintage Children's Books

• Options
    DIY lamp shade? Mobile? hmm...I'll keep thinking. ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    How about something like this? Glue them together so you can make a bookshelf out of them?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we did this for DD's room when it was a nursery.... we just framed stuff, didn't get too creative. It's cute idea. Good luck with finding other stuff to do! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love the framed Shel Silverstein poems on pinterest.

You can also look into flying book if you want something different. The pages are rolled down a bit and the book hangs from the ceiling. Really cute! Some teachers I know have done this. You can make a wreath out of the pages, etc. too.

• Options
    I'm doing drawings of Disney princesses for my nursery. It would be cool to do some sketches of classic characters as accent art. Small 5x7s framed.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Options
    If you had enough of them you could make a giant collage or a whole wall of frames. Or modge podge a piece of furniture like a bookshelf or toy box.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I took an old favorite book of mine that was in bad shape (still in print so I could get a new copy for DS) and decoupaged letters for his name from some of the pages.  It turned out really cute. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    There are some good ideas here! I'm just not a crafty person.

Ok, I'm thinking I might just frame some of them in record album frames if they'll fit, especially those books that are way too delicate or ones that might not be so politically correct anymore. I haven't seen these books in long time, but I think there's a large number of little golden books, so maybe there will be some that have similar colors or themes on the covers that I can use for inspiration for the rest of the room.
  • Options
    He is a few I found.. Or a banner also

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Love all of these ideas! I was contemplating framing quotes from children's books.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've always wanted to do a nursery that looks like the room in Goodnight Moon, but I'm just too lazy.  Love a lot of the ideas here though!

• Options
    How old are these books? Your child will grow and may want to read them, you could display them in a nice bookshelf in the nursery for now.  Or, if you won't keep them and they are enough, you could make a nice wallpaper or mural with the covers in only one of the walls. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    Some are from the late '70s/early '80s, but some are from the '50s and are probably too delicate to leave out where the kid can have his way with them. That's why I'm trying to think of a good way to display them or just scan the images and use them somehow.
  • Options
    Omg! I absolutely love the idea of scanning, printing and framing these! What a cute thing. 

----> runs off to look for prints of old children's books online

image image image

• Options
    What about putting them on cute shelves with maybe some of them opened to display the particular pictures you like.
  • Options
    A blog that I follow did this image
    with her vintage books. I think it's so cute! And if you want to try it, here is the link to the DIY instructions: https://www.gladjeblog.com/2013/02/book-bunting-diy.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+adventuresofthestayathomemom%2FzVxI+%28Gl%C3%A4dje%29

Jackson: December 09' 
    Remington: July 12'
    Piper Jo: October 14'
    m/c on 10/18/13. We miss you Peyton

• Options

A blog that I follow did this image

with her vintage books. I think it's so cute! And if you want to try it, here is the link to the DIY instructions: https://www.gladjeblog.com/2013/02/book-bunting-diy.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+adventuresofthestayathomemom%2FzVxI+%28Gl%C3%A4dje%29
    OMG I love this! It's nice because it keeps fragile books away from little fingers, but you still can access them easily. Super cute!

July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's not all that creative but I'm making DH do this with all of the books my mom saved from when I was a kid. I'm so into reading and I'm so excited she saved them for me! I'm not ballsy enough to do anything creative for fear I'll mess them up! 
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    @Happyin14‌ I was planning on using a good scanner I have at work. I'm not sure about where I'll print the images, though. It probably depends on what I end up doing with them.
  • Options

It's not all that creative but I'm making DH do this with all of the books my mom saved from when I was a kid. I'm so into reading and I'm so excited she saved them for me! I'm not ballsy enough to do anything creative for fear I'll mess them up! 

@MrsBabe614‌ have you found shelves with a lip like that in stores? I am wanting to do that, too, and admittedly have not looked yet. I like that idea though because our nursery is small and I feel like a bookshelf would just be too bulky.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @angeltennis3 I haven't! I'm forcing DH to make me some.
  • Options

I've seen some cute ideas where they hang pictures or flash cards from a string with clips.  It looks cute. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"