Pregnant after 35
Options

NT u/s OR Harmony, not both.

edited April 2014 in Pregnant after 35
Hey guys,
At my appointment this past week the doc gave us the speech about all the different tests available and apparently we can get the NT ultrasound OR Harmony, not both. I had the NT with my first daughter, not sure the other stuff was available, but I was under 35 so i wouldn't have qualified. Is that the case with others too? You have to choose one or the other? For some reason based on what I had read here, I thought a lot of you ladies were getting both (or the equivalent of Harmony). Thoughts? Not asking for recs just wondering if others had both done.

Re: NT u/s OR Harmony, not both.

• Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    I had both and thought it seemed redundant.   The Mat21 had already told us that there was very little chance of a trisomy, so I didn't understand why I also needed to do the NT scan, but my doctor said that it "looked for other things", so we did it.   Good luck!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    I had only Maternit21 (which I think is like Harmony) and no NT scan.  Then several weeks later a blood draw to check for AFP or something with similar initials as a screening for spinal tube problems since Mat21 doesn't look for that.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did the nt scan/blood test and mat21. Turned out they could not actually do the mat21 test due to me being on blood thinners, so /shrug.

• Options
     My ob said one or the other-I questioned her on it as I heard that they looked for different things. But the place I am going for the nt also does genetic counseling (right before the nt) and will do the mat121 anyhow....so I dont know, if offered I will do it and my insurance covers both for AMA.
  • Options
    I did both NT scan and Harmony blood test.
  • Options
    MrsDLMrsDL member

My OB requires both.  We had the Materniti21 2 weeks ago at 10 weeks and scheduled the NT for next week.  I asked about why I would have to have both, and she said Materniti21, etc. is definitely going to replace the NT as technology gets better, but the NT (and the blood work that goes with it) can detect other things M21 does not. She said risk for fetal growth retardation can be found on NT, early detection of heart anomalies (high NT normal blood work - went through that scare with my son), certain neural tube defects like anaencephaly, etc and some other things - so it provides for closer monitoring.  If that's what she wants, that's what I'll do.

We just got our M21 results back yesterday (all clear and we're having another boy). It was such a relief so compared to how I was with my son, I much less anxious about the NT because we already no there are no major chromosomal trisomies.  Given the choice of one over the other, I'd probably do M21 because it's more accurate.  Some of the other things would be tested for in the 2nd tri screening and looked for at the anatomy scan. 

• Options
    I had the option to have both.  I had the Panorama blood test (like the Harmony test) only.  I had heard a few stories from people about their U/S techs seeing things on the U/S that got them scared but turned out to be nothing.  From what my OB said, the Panorama is 99% accurate and tests for the major stuff.  She also said that's what she opted to do when she was pregnant (the blood test only).  So, I figured that if that's what she did, then it was a pretty safe bet.

Good luck with your choice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did both nt and mater21 bloodwork.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Well so I called Cigna and they said they will cover both if i want them. So I went back to my doc to ask why she was so against it. And she said she'd write me a referral for Harmony if i wanted it so bad. Well thanks a bunch I was going to do it without your blessing anyway...

But the only thing is i will be getting both done on the same day. The earliest they would do Harmony would be 3 days before NT and I would have to drive half hour to another location, so I said fine let's do it together. I will have to wait 2 weeks for results anyway. I don't care. I will have confirmation if whatever result the NT ultrasound has.
  • Options
    HI,
    We have to pay $1000 for the Harmony test here, whereas the other tests are free. But I'm doing the Harmony test, and my thoughts are that depending on how those come out. If there was anything that wasnt good in the Harmony tests, before doing anything, I'll make sure to get a second (however you do it) opinion to confirm. I'm waiting on my Harmony tests now, and although I am sure they are excellent, there is always the possibility of Lab mixups etc, and you'd want to be very certain there's definately an issue with a second opinion or test.
  • Options
    We did both because my midwife recommended it. To be honest though, if I could have a do-over, I would have skipped the NT because it seemed redundant and I'm a fan of limiting ultrasounds.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"