May 2014 Moms

Milkies - late to the game

Well, I finally took the advice so many of you offered and got a milkie.  I regret not starting it earlier when my oversupply issue was happening, but I still have managed to collect a little over an ounce so far today.  My question is, how do you store what you've collected if we're not supposed to add fresh milk to an existing bottle in the fridge?  I don't seem to collect enough each feeding to warrant a new bottle to chill individually each time (not sure the extra dishwashing and sterilization would offset the little amount I'm collecting currently).

Thanks!
Me-41, Hubby-40.
1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
Dear Son born 5/28/14

Re: Milkies - late to the game

• I would put it into an ice cube tray and freeze. I don't have milkies but that would be what I would do :)
  • ^ that!
    Married 5/5/12 ~ Miscarried @ 6wks 7/1/13 ~ Has Pacemaker ~ Due May 7th
  • Loading the player...
  • Do people who use milkies sterilize before each use?
  • giggler25 said:
    Do people who use milkies sterilize before each use?
    I treated it like pump parts, washed in warm water between each use and sterilized once a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Do people who use milkies sterilize before each use?

I've only sterilized mine a handful of times. I just wash with dish soap and warm water after each use. I put it in the dishwasher if I think about it too. My breasts and my house aren't sterile, so I don't stress over sterilizing the kid gear either.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• @jenb_99 @RachelCA29

Thanks! I also just found this FAQ on their website:

Q: How should I clean my Milk-Saver?
    A: Be sure to thoroughly clean your Milk-Saver before first use. Rinse with hot soapy water, boil or run through your dishwasher on the top rack. Between uses simply rinse the Milk-Saver and air dry on a bottle rack or clean towel.
  • I figure if you use it on each breast in one feeding session you would get the foremilk from one and then the hind milk from the other. Also your milk gets more fatty throughout the day, so a days worth of collected milk would be pretty balanced I think.

When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • @jenna3878 Since the composition of the milk changes throughout the day, each collection looks a little different. I get a nice range. Some is very watery, and some is richer with a good layer of fat on top. Plus the Milkies only collects leakage; it's impossible to get a full day's worth of milk from it. So even if you did just get foremilk from the milk saver, your LO would still get a good mix from nursing and/or taking pumped bottles the rest of the day.

@RachelCA29 Do you actually get leakage from both sides during a feeding? I've tried several times, but I can only collect from the first side. It comes out dry on the side DD has just nursed from. I guess I only have one letdown. Boo.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• @jenb_99‌ I do (did, I EP now). One side was always a lot more - I have one breast that leaks/produces way more than the other, but I guess because I have over active letdown I would leak through my whole nursing session from both sides. But the second side was always less.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • sws684sws684 member
    I don't worry about not mixing milk.. I just consolidate.. I don't see it hurting anything, but that's just me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"